Albums you still love...

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8863
    drwiddly said:
    Roland said:
    Geoff Who? (Geoff Whitehorn)

That's a great call. Big In Gravesend is a crackin' album as well. Sort of surprised anyone's ever heard of them.
    Geoff Who? has some of the best recorded guitar tones that I've ever heard. The man is a marvellous player, but never got the recognition he deserves.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8863
    ICBM said
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    How could I forget Rumours? It ranks alongside Dark Side of the Moon as one of the best albums of the 20th century
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Most albums I loved at the time I still love now but most also hold a different place for me now, don't quite sound the same, sounds more like nostalgia in many cases.

The one album that stands out for me as giving me the exact same feeling as when I was first listening to it (20 years ago, gulp) is Karakiriad by Donald Fagen. Sounds just as fresh now. It's an incredibly underrated album, just genius.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    edited June 2014
    dindude;266237" said:
    The one album that stands out for me as giving me the exact same feeling as when I was first listening to it (20 years ago, gulp) is Karakiriad by Donald Fagen. Sounds just as fresh now. It's an incredibly underrated album, just genius.
    I need to play 'On The Dunes' right now to hear that fantastic bass line again.

Thanks for the reminder....
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    dindude;266237" said:
    I need to play 'On The Dunes' right now to hear that fantastic bass line again.

Thanks for the reminder....
    And maybe a bit of Snowbound for some more great basslinage 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73176
    Roland said:

How could I forget Rumours? It ranks alongside Dark Side of the Moon as one of the best albums of the 20th century
    Don't know, but somehow I forgot Hotel California too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1201
    For starters...

Daydream Nation
    Tonight's the Night
    Zuma
    OK Computer
    The Idiot
    Lust for Life
    Green Mind
    Songs for the Deaf
    Desire
    Hard Rain

It goes on and on....

• camfcamf Frets: 1201
    Er...

Rumours
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Hotel California

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Blondie - Eat to The Beat & Parallel Lines
    Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids.
    Curve - Doppleganger (listened to it last nite in fact)
    De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing 

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Fanks @joneve ;

I think that one will always be a mainstay. Definitely their finest hour. No World For Tomorrow is also good. Year of the Black Rainbow, and the 2 albums before Good Apollo... were terrible. But I really like the double album they did (the two Afterman... albums) ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    edited June 2014
    Roland said:
    drwiddly said:
    Roland said:
    Geoff Who? (Geoff Whitehorn)

That's a great call. Big In Gravesend is a crackin' album as well. Sort of surprised anyone's ever heard of them.
    Geoff Who? has some of the best recorded guitar tones that I've ever heard. The man is a marvellous player, but never got the recognition he deserves.
    Great call and I'm going to dig my copy out.

Marvellous player and really nice chap who can sometimes be seen joining in with bands at The Bear and Ragged Staff in Dartford.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    Whitesnake - 1987
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    edited June 2014
    I share with @skarloey an early love of inxs but I don't listen to them much now.. so I always feel 15 again when I hear something from Kick or Listen like thieves.

Others:
    Try Whistling This - Neil Finn
    In it for the money - Supergrass
    Demolition - Ryan Adams
    Dog Man Star - Suede (completely blew me away and still does).
    Stone Roses - Stone Roses
    Experienced, Axis & Ladyland
    Who's Next - The Who.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MPHMPH Frets: 56
    I share with @skarloey an early love of inxs but I don't listen to them much now.. so I always feel 15 again when I hear something from Kick or Listen like thieves.

Others:
    I had completely forgotten about this album.  I have not listened to it in years (was it really 1998????  Shit, where is time going?). 

Must go give it a listen.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73176
    MPH said:
    I had completely forgotten about this album.  I have not listened to it in years (was it really 1998????  Shit, where is time going?). 

Must go give it a listen.
    It's great, and from what I heard on Jools Holland the other week his latest album may be back more in this direction - I'll have to get that too.

"… and the horse ate my trousers"

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Fanks @joneve ;

I think that one will always be a mainstay. Definitely their finest hour. No World For Tomorrow is also good. Year of the Black Rainbow, and the 2 albums before Good Apollo... were terrible. But I really like the double album they did (the two Afterman... albums) ;) 
    I wouldn't say that Second Stage and In Keeping Secrets are "terrible"..."Good Apollo" is definitely their masterpiece but this coupled with the first two albums and then No World for Tomorrow tells a great story and it's pretty awesome to have a concept album that is actually 4 albums! "A Favour House Atlantic" is still just an awesome track too.

Year of the Black Rainbow has never "grabbed" me, but maybe I didn't give it enough attention...The Afterman albums are ossum though.

Have you heard the "Neverender" series? Where they played 4 nights back to back in different cities and played the entire "Coheed and Cambria" story with each of the first 4 albums in their entirety every night? That gave me a new appreciation for the first two albums.

Also, I saw them on the Good Apollo tour at the Astoria in London (RIP :() and it was easily one of the top 5 gigs I've ever been to. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    The Go-Betweens- 16 Lovers Lane

The Cure- Disintegration

Primal Scream- Screamadelica

The Las- The Las 

The Cult- Sonic Temple- side 1 especially. I do not actually have a copy of this in the house, because when I used to play it I could not resist ramping the volume right up. It was a compulsion. That's okay if you are a 15 year old with a cheap Sony cassette deck, but if these days with proper stereo speakers I'd be risking a Court Order. Parts of it though- like the first three songs and the intro to Fire Woman- are stuck in my brain forever. 

Pierre Bensusan- Altiplanos

Radio Futura- La Cancion de Juan Perro; Veneno en la Piel

Pata Negra- Blues de la Frontera

Kraftwerk- The Mix

Stephen Duffy and The Lilac Time- Looking for a Day in the Night. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 5042
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    Rory Gallagher - Photo Finish
    Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Jonny Cash - At San Quentin
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    Gary Moore - Still got the blues
    Status Quo - 12 Gold Bars
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
    Tony Joe White - One Hot July
    Various - A Woman's Heart
    Air - Moon Safari
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
    Leonard Cohen - Live in London
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Tool - Lateralus
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6624
    Down - Down II: A Bustle In Your Hedgrow.

Can't remember if I mentioned that in my original list, but I've caned my copy of it so much it deserves mentioning twice anyway.

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Led Zep - I and II
    Black Sabbath debut
    Kings of Leon debut
    Rage Against The Machine debut
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    AC/DC - Who Made Who
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells and Elephant
    The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony whatsit...

There's more I'm sure....