Bands that give you the creeps?

What's Hot

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    dindude;266431" said:
    Artic Monkeys

Agreed. They always sound to me like a warning against excesive speed and coke usage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Lily Allen. Which is odd as I find her generally likeable in interviews but her music makes me feel ill. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    The Flesh Eating Morlocks

Otherwise known as Yes 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    axisus;266764" said:
    The Flesh Eating Morlocks

Otherwise known as Yes 
    Sadly ladies, they may already be married....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited June 2014
    Silencer, who are a black metal band from Sweden that I doubt many of you will know of.

Basically, if you listen to it having known nothing about the band, you will probably burst out laughing as soon as the vocals come in. These are not your usual black metal screams and growls, this is much "cleaner". One could call it singing, if not for the fact that it's absolutely and intentionally tuneless and has no discernible rhythm. It is also at the kind of pitch that could shatter a wine glass. Basically, it's a bloke shrieking like a little girl, and it sounds hilarious.

Then if you look into the stories surrounding the band, you may feel yourself starting to become unnerved. There are lots of rumours and no-one seems entirely sure of what really happened, but it does appear more than likely that the vocalist was

a) Cutting himself while doing the vocals. Not merely around the time it was recorded - actually self-harming while recording
    b) Institutionalised shortly after the band's only album came out, and was reportedly diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic

Try listening to it again without feeling a little queasy. I can't do it, they're one of the only bands that I genuinely cannot listen to.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bucket said:
    Silencer
    With a write-up like that, I had to try.

A "song" called "Death Pierce Me".

Jesus wept.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited June 2014
    Lixarto said:
    A "song" called "Death Pierce Me"
    Yes, that's the title track of the album. It's unendurable.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I switched it off after about the third shriek.

I was laughing, I couldn't help myself.

I found this review: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Silencer/Death_-_Pierce_Me/18867/

The chap calls the album "a work of art". Hmm.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Not sure I get the idea of being creeped out by a band, unless they keep following you home or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7405
    Listened to silencer before, it's really really really stuipid. The legends and stories are pretty juvenile to my mind.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    Silencer have a song with the word "Thunderbowels" in the title.

That is all.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    RobDavies;267038" said:
    Silencer have a song with the word "Thunderbowels" in the title.

That is all.
    Not good, especially when you can't wipe your arse properly because you have trotters for hands and they go right through the paper. No wonder he was so cross. :-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    wow...one of the rumours is that the guy chopped off his own hands and sewed on pig's trotters himself, and the screaming is from that...

now i can listen to some heavy music, Death, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse (at a push) but this is a whole nother level of weird.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    Ween - genius musicians but this one is fucking weird

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I heard one track by Silencer on an "Aural Apocalypse" podcast, it even creeped out the podcast host, and she plays some pretty dark freaky stuff.  She mentioned the pig foot rumour and I suspect that was the only reason she gave them some time on the podcast.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I heard one track by Silencer on an "Aural Apocalypse" podcast, it even creeped out the podcast host, and she plays some pretty dark freaky stuff.  She mentioned the pig foot bullshit and I suspect that was the only reason she gave them some time on the podcast.
    Edited for accuracy.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    wow...one of the rumours is that the guy chopped off his own hands and sewed on pig's trotters himself, and the screaming is from that...

now i can listen to some heavy music, Death, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse (at a push) but this is a whole nother level of weird.

Credit where credit's due - sewing with pigs trotters instead of hands can be a real ballache.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    SimonC said

Credit where credit's due - sewing with pigs trotters instead of hands can be a real ballache.
    Not as bad as having a wank
    :-O

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    The Very Things - The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes

I found the video and the song strangely disturbing back in the eighties.

Also +1 for Sparks. That grinning Hitler look alike who played the keys had me hiding behind the sofa when I was a kid!
    Link to my trading feedback