What's the guitar you should hate but love?

What's Hot

Comments

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 699
    I've always wanted a Parker Fly but none of my indie bands would stand it and my current function band have totally veto'd it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    edited May 2020
    My first les Paul was a 2015 trad, didn’t know about any of the 2015 stuff, just fancied an LP having had exclusively spiky guitars prior. Got more into LPs and sold it to get a ‘proper’ one. It was absolutely great
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    I've always wanted a Parker Fly but none of my indie bands would stand it and my current function band have totally veto'd it.
    I gigged a Parker fly from 2002 till 2009 I still miss it and would buy another in a heart beat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited May 2020
    Really dont like the Suhr headstock... but LOVE the rest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Too many switches. Lots of bling. 10 strings?..
    I'd bloody love one though!

https://www.tuneyoursound.com/sites/default/files/collection_instr_images/dsc00772.jpg

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Paul_C said:

They're ridiculously big, and not really my thing at all, but I would love to own an old Gibson Super 400 :)

httpsloviesguitarscomwp-contentuploads202004IMG_5789-510x340jpg
    Sheer, unadulterated beauty. Stunning.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    Music Man Albert Lee. It's a Weirdo shape, but some of them are very classy looking. Depends on the Colour/Plastics, Fretboard wood and I prefer SSS Versions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106
    DiscoStu said:
    Too many switches. Lots of bling. 10 strings?..
    I'd bloody love one though!

https://www.tuneyoursound.com/sites/default/files/collection_instr_images/dsc00772.jpg

I've got a Mockingbird, only six strings but most of the same electronics - only four knobs and five switches.  The boost and varitone are completely useless, but I quite like the series/parallel and phase switches.

I was trying to think of some kind of built-in gadget which would be more interesting/useful than the boost, but never came up with anything good.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Last year i had a bit of saved up cash and bought a new guitar. It turned to be a Vintera Modified Tele. Cracking guitar, and i love it.

But on the way, i tried several guitars in roughly the same price bracket. Beholden to "dont knock it until you have tried it", i picked up a Musicman Sterling St Vincent. It should have been straight to the bottom, with its odd aesthetics, mini humbuckers and reduced controls.

I loved it - unbelievably comfortable to play, great range of tones, perfect neck profile (for me), best fretwork of any sub-£1000 (and several 1k+) guitar id played. The only reason i didnt go home with it was because id given the choice of guitar to my 2 boys, and they preferred the Tele.

Not a decision i regret at all, but id love to get a StVincent one day!

Adam
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5034
    I make Jacob Rees-Mogg look like a hipster, but I also really like the St Vincent. 
    Call me Dave.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    I've been weirdly tempted by this monstrosity on eBay.

It looks like someone left a super-strat on the radiator, but I can't help liking it.

Music Man Albert Lee. It's a Weirdo shape, but some of them are very classy looking. Depends on the Colour/Plastics, Fretboard wood and I prefer SSS Versions.
    The Albert Lee shape is great. One of the few cases where adapting the original Strat design offers up a tasteful improvement, or at the very least a tasteful alternative.
    edited May 2020
    Stuckfast said:
    I've been weirdly tempted by this monstrosity on eBay.

It looks like someone left a super-strat on the radiator, but I can't help liking it.

How much is it? I'd imagine if you're not quick a certain member of this forum (not me) might beat you to it!

Some of those 80s Hondos are RAD! Could this be the only metal guitar in the world not to use humbuckers?
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1089
    I used to have one of these - I really ought to hate it but I bought it in a close to wrecked condition and spent literally years putting it back to a reasonable condition and became very fond of it. Clever electrics (which, apart from the pickups, were gone and took a fair bit of understanding - once restored made total sense and worked brilliantly), really nice neck, total guarantee that nobody else would turn up with one, I only sold it when it was pointed out to me how ludicrous I looked using it for Blues - wish I still had it. 

Ladies and gentlemen, the Fender Performer. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493

The Albert Lee shape is great. One of the few cases where adapting the original Strat design offers up a tasteful improvement, or at the very least a tasteful alternative.
    The problem is the headstock - it totally ruins the design, as it does on the St. Vincent as well.

It’s like putting a Les Paul headstock on a Flying V or an Explorer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    edited May 2020
    Ibanez Jem 10th anniversary. I don't generally like bling guitars.

• donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    Quite liking that Fender Performer @downbytheriver ;
    I’ve always had a crush on the Ibanez Xiphos. Gotta be the chameleon green finish though. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    gusman2x said:
    ICBM said:

I stupidly passed on buying one at a reasonably good price a couple of years ago...

(For what it's worth I probably shouldn't like Vai's music either, but I do.)
    I had one....and sold it. To date my most regrettable transaction. Still gives me a sweat thinking about it 
    Time for me to get my own back @fendergibson ;;;

https://i.imgur.com/a7HrFAB.jpg
    Haha....swap you for the AVRI....cash your way ?  B
    Haha, thanks but....
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Gassage said:
    I played one of these recently. Utterly blown away by it.  Carbon Fibre neck, lush as anything. So easy to play if a bit weird cos of no headstock.
    Incredibly player, incredible tones.

Good shout. Remember Leslie West coaxing some spectacular tones out of a similar one on the Night of Guitars thing on YouTube.