What's the guitar you should hate but love?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Martin Alt XT - loved that guitar but sold it as I never played it. I only wanted it for the look though, it never felt good to play and didn't sound the way I wanted.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451

Ladies and gentlemen, the Fender Performer. 

Never heard of it, but now I want it.

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 877
    Music Man Albert Lee. It's a Weirdo shape, but some of them are very classy looking. Depends on the Colour/Plastics, Fretboard wood and I prefer SSS Versions.
    The Albert Lee shape is great. One of the few cases where adapting the original Strat design offers up a tasteful improvement, or at the very least a tasteful alternative.
    This is the one for me. I had one but let it go, only because for me, the string sit just too close to the edge of the fingerboard. If they kept the string spacing the same but made the neck just a little wider it would still be with me.
    I also think the headstock works perfectly with it.

I’d quite like an Ibanez Jem  or Paul Gilbert, but know I’d not get on with the slim neck.

The Steinberger M series above is another I’d love, but if I’m being picky I’d take the single humbucker model.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    donbot said:
    Quite liking that Fender Performer @downbytheriver ;
    I’ve always had a crush on the Ibanez Xiphos. Gotta be the chameleon green finish though. 
    I really like that! Funnily enough I was looking at a Jackson Warrior yesterday... I wonder which came first?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 563
    gusman2x said:
    gusman2x said:
    ICBM said:

I stupidly passed on buying one at a reasonably good price a couple of years ago...

(For what it's worth I probably shouldn't like Vai's music either, but I do.)
    I had one....and sold it. To date my most regrettable transaction. Still gives me a sweat thinking about it 
    Time for me to get my own back @fendergibson ;;;

https://i.imgur.com/a7HrFAB.jpg
    Haha....swap you for the AVRI....cash your way ?  B
    Haha, thanks but....
    Good call. Don’t sell the FP. Beautiful guitar. 
    I think one day I might end up with one of these, but Christ they ain’t cheap !

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Always loved the garish 80s Jems

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    gusman2x said:
    gusman2x said:
    ICBM said:

I stupidly passed on buying one at a reasonably good price a couple of years ago...

(For what it's worth I probably shouldn't like Vai's music either, but I do.)
    I had one....and sold it. To date my most regrettable transaction. Still gives me a sweat thinking about it 
    Time for me to get my own back @fendergibson ;;;

https://i.imgur.com/a7HrFAB.jpg
    Haha....swap you for the AVRI....cash your way ?  B
    Haha, thanks but....
    Good call. Don’t sell the FP. Beautiful guitar. 
    I think one day I might end up with one of these, but Christ they ain’t cheap !

Shop near me has the FP2 - I think they have it up for about £3.2k or something - ridiculous!! I have one of the original (well, 15th anniversary) FPs which will do me for now. 

If there was a guitar I shouldn't like but do it'd be a sunburst Strat like Buddy Hollys. Do not like Strats one little bit, but I love Buddy Holly and there's something about that guitar. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Jalapeno said:
    Always loved the garish 80s Jems 
    I always hated them, but since discovering that I actually love Vai's music, and thinking of buying the floral print one, I've also come to like the original dayglo ones - even the swirl ones are growing on me a bit, although they're still my least favourite.

If anything, what really put me off buying the FP was the monkey grip - I just don't think it works with the floral pattern. It's perfect on the dayglo models though. I'd definitely use one in a completely inappropriate context too - I did play in a girly alt-rock sort of band... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein