Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• m0rtm0rt Frets: 22
    pumkin said:
    Can anyone recommend a good tech in Manchester for  a set up ... a friend’s daughter has a new Jazzmaster that needs a look at ... thanks folks . 
    Don’t know if it is too far, but down the M56 to the Wirral there is KGB music. Excellent work. I used to still go there when I lived in Stone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    jdgm said:
    Another recommendation for David Kennett at Flame Guitars who has just done a very good and thorough setup for me, my guitar is playing 100% better now than before he touched it. He has a lot of knowledge and experience to bring to bear.

Plus one to this. David has just done an excellent job on sorting out a Strat for me. He also recently did a set up on my stepson’s guitar too. We’re both delighted with the results. Thoroughly nice chap, pretty quick turnaround and very reasonable prices... highly recommended. 
  • hi, could anyone recommend a place near guildford/aldershot that would be able to modify a guitar for me (need 5 holes drilled for new bridge and stop tail studs to install a Duesenberg les trem 2 on a squier). I normally work in london so have taken it there in the past but as i'm working from home would like to find somewhere nearby. thanks
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited September 2020
    Can someone recommend a tech in Brum to set up/look at some buzzy frets?
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
    Shout out for stairway to Kevin in Denmark st. Just set up my 57 lp junior a treat. And £25 for a written insurance valuation I thought was a good price. He really gave it a thorough look over and appraisal. 
  • Another recommendation for Feline Guitars in SE London - dropped my newly-acquired strat off there around lunchtime on Saturday for a set-up and some electrical T&C, and they called me back within 3 hours to say it was ready! Amazing work, quick turnaround, great price, and very friendly. Couldn't rate them more highly.
  • Shout out for Dan ‘The Guitar Engineer’ in Berkhamsted, Herts. Re-fret of the highest quality, great communication, very fast turnaround and reasonably priced. I reckon he has more Stewmac gear in his workshop than Stewmac have in stock and he knows how to use it!
  • m0rt said:
    pumkin said:
    Can anyone recommend a good tech in Manchester for  a set up ... a friend’s daughter has a new Jazzmaster that needs a look at ... thanks folks . 
    Don’t know if it is too far, but down the M56 to the Wirral there is KGB music. Excellent work. I used to still go there when I lived in Stone. 

Don't know is it's to late but if you don't mind going to Wigan Richie Tomson is my luthier of choice. Used him for years. Nice to work with and reasonably priced. He's on the web but doesn't have an e mail. Give him a bell.
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    m0rt said:
    pumkin said:

Don't know is it's to late but if you don't mind going to Wigan Richie Tomson is my luthier of choice. Used him for years. Nice to work with and reasonably priced. He's on the web but doesn't have an e mail. Give him a bell.
    m0rt said:
    pumkin said:

Thanks... will pass on info ... appreciated.
  • BobHBobH Frets: 4
    Rob Wells, in New Haw, Surrey. Grandson of the late, great Dick Knight. He's done loads of jobs for me including a 'back off' job on a Guild 12 string to fix detached struts. Great workl
  • Dan is starting to get a good reputation.

https://scott-guitars.co.uk/

• I can recommend a tech named Karl at Ideal Sounds in Runcorn,Cheshire.Had stuff done by him and its always instantly better. He is always helpful and gives advice and won't do work if not necessary. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    I can recommend a tech named Karl at Ideal Sounds in Runcorn,Cheshire.Had stuff done by him and its always instantly better. He is always helpful and gives advice and won't do work if not necessary. 
    The last time I went to that shop it had loads of interesting second hand guitars. You had to literally climb over them to get in.
  • I can recommend a tech named Karl at Ideal Sounds in Runcorn,Cheshire.Had stuff done by him and its always instantly better. He is always helpful and gives advice and won't do work if not necessary. 
    The last time I went to that shop it had loads of interesting second hand guitars. You had to literally climb over them to get in.
    Haha,yes it was a bit of a mess but it is an Aladdin's Cave. To be fair to Karl,he has tidied the place up a lot due to the covid crisis and I believe he had a bad bout of it himself and has thankfully recovered.The old saying about 'Appearances being deceptive' is very accurate here.
  • Looking for someone who will add faux binding to a Les Paul.
  • I also recomand Tom Geldschläger from Berlin, he does online lessons too. Plays fretless guitar, he is a master.
  • Can anyone recommend a tech for pickup repairs. I’ve got some old SD trembuckers that have seen better days and I could do with them being brought back to life.

Cheers
  • Can anyone recommend a tech for pickup repairs. I’ve got some old SD trembuckers that have seen better days and I could do with them being brought back to life.

Cheers
    Either @OilCityPickups or @Alegree should be able to sort you out.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Perfect thanks @Jonathangus. Messages sent
  • Can anybody recommend a good tech in the north east, Durham area?I’m wanting to get my LP standard set up, I think the nut needs a bit of attention.

Cheers