Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    South London (Peckham ) Can anyone  recommend a tech to do some work ( needs string height sorting ) on a nylon string acoustic in south London for a good friend of mine ….ithanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    High praise for Jack at Mayall's guitar shop in Conwy. He fixed a new nut on my Taylor acoustic, after a botched jop by someone else who will no longer get my business! Really friendly and informative. The shop's great too, can see myself buying guitars there soon. Just fantastic to have such a shop in the north Wales area. 

Mayall's Music Co. - North Wales' Leading Family Run Music Store (mayalls.co.uk)
    I've lived in bodelwyddan for years. Didn't even know this place existed. I sense a visit coming on, cheers! 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1232
    Wynne jenkins if you are swansea area. Reverb tank on amp sorted, old cv 60s bass set up, eastman sb59 on the jig and properly set up to my liking, cv60s strat new neck pup , persuaded me on a 10 way switch and a  set up. All spot on and done <24 hrs for as you would expect prices.

More importantly a proper welcoming enthusiast whatever your level and had opportunity to play several of his own guitars in the decision process. The best of which was a P eagle early 90s SSS modded up to all sorts of electronic genius and action for feather fingers. He is a 10 min drive away from me so feel lucky.

Used dearnley in cardiff in late 80s and when in london kew chandlers. Both everything you would expect of a high quality outfit, but left wynnes satisfied with the whole face to face encounter and results. Normal i think to spend an hour in his porch on drop off and pickup testing the results, or trying a few of his guitars to ensure he knows what you want on drop off.

Went months ago, but does regularly every couple of months , ask whether everything is all ok with the stuff he worked on. Great player as well and great fun. 
    11/10.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4538
    pumkin said:
    South London (Peckham ) Can anyone  recommend a tech to do some work ( needs string height sorting ) on a nylon string acoustic in south London for a good friend of mine ….ithanks

South London?  @FelineGuitars (Croydon).
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    chunkmonk said:
    Hi, can anyone recommend a guitar tech around the Worcester area?

Monty’s Guitars in Cheltenham isn’t too far down the M5 from Worcester. Not far from the M5 j11 either 
  • Hi, can anyone recommend any luthier around Northampton? Someone who can deal with vintage Gibsons. Thanks
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11797
    AndyGT75 said:
    chunkmonk said:
    Hi, can anyone recommend a guitar tech around the Worcester area?

Monty’s Guitars in Cheltenham isn’t too far down the M5 from Worcester. Not far from the M5 j11 either 
    They're not taking on setups/repairs.  Concentrating on the pickup winding side of things I'm afraid.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    Hi, can anyone recommend any luthier around Northampton? Someone who can deal with vintage Gibsons. Thanks
    @Jimihendrix1987 @Paul_C (Arrowhead Guitars) is in Northampton and highly recommended
  • Luthier question - is it normal to book in a guitar for a standard set up, possibly a new nut (if the old one can't be sorted to fix a slight buzz on one of the strings), and when you drop it off on the agreed day for them to be quite surprised when you ask if it will be ready for collection in a couple of days and they say they will probably get round to it beginning of next week...

And is it normal to have a workshop looking like a bomb has gone off - are they usually this relaxed and messy?

He was recommended by the guys I recently bought some pick ups from (those were late in delivery too causing me to have to give the luthier another guitar while I had the slot booked, not realising how vague the timings would be).

I thought I'd left plenty of contingency time in the bookings but seem to have been wrong on both counts. I've not used a 'professional' to set up a guitar in the UK before and I perhaps mistakenly assumed that if I organised a booking plenty in advance (a month in this instance), I'd drop off the guitar the morning of the agreed day and for a standard bit of work, it would be ready within two days easy.

Is this normal?

Cheers in advance.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited September 2022
    @AsterixTG ; when you pre booked, didn't you ask how long the work would take?  

EDIT :
    If they are busy, they may not be able to give you a quick turnaround.

And no, a messy workshop isn't a bad sign. 
  • Mellish said:
    @AsterixTG ; when you pre booked, didn't you ask how long the work would take?  

EDIT :
    If they are busy, they may not be able to give you a quick turnaround.

And no, a messy workshop isn't a bad sign. 
    No, I didn't ask - I assumed, wrongly obviously, that when I booked something in a month away, I'd be booking a specific slot - as to how long... going on the rates charged, if they take more than a couple of hours then I have no idea how they make a living.

Messy is ok. Fair enough, alien to me, but, sure.

Anyway, live and learn - thanks for the confirmation.

I shall revert to my normal pessimistic way of things and suitably lower my expectations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @AsterixTG ; yes, you booked a specific slot, you're right about that but the turnaround time wasn't fixed.

Hopefully, it won't be long :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    23 pages in so not sure if this company has been mentioned.

Leicestershire Luthiers - Loughborough.

Good service and good value for money.

Welcome to Leicestershire Luthiers | Leicestershire Luthiers (leicestershire-luthier.co.uk)
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    Any reccomendations for someone near SE London?
    CCGX :) 
    Mellish said:
    CCGX :) 
    Apologies, is that a response to me?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    Mellish said:
    CCGX  
    Apologies, is that a response to me?
    It may have been although I'd say it was slightly more South West as it's near to Kingston, but a good reputation is often worth a bit of travel for . 
    Speaking of which, we are in Croydon so South East London /Surrey /Kent borders in a way

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited October 2022
    @NCo ; yes. Don't apologise as I should have been clearer. 

@Feline Guitars, who has also responded, is also quite capable. Take your pick. 

edited October 2022
    CCGX are in West London, almost an hour and a half each way.

Tried contacting Feline, lovely guys but I probably won't get the chance to make the journey.

Appreciate the suggestions!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    CCGX are in West London, almost an hour and a half each way.

Tried contacting Feline, lovely guys but I probably won't get the chance to make the journey.

Appreciate the suggestions!
    where in SE London are you?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!