Does anyone actually play PRS?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    I have a battered 2008 DGT. They changed from nitro to V12 later on to appease the usual PRS players/collectors. Shame.
    Nitro is back for this year I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9598
    I have a battered 2008 DGT. They changed from nitro to V12 later on to appease the usual PRS players/collectors. Shame.
    Nitro is back for this year I think?
    Yeah, this year all PRS are nitro over cellulose whatever that means. I’m not sure if that means it’s fully nitro or nitro over poly. Private stock are 100% nitro and I assume they’ll want to keep that distinction
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    I don’t understand the obsession with nitro. I’d much rather have a finish that resists wear better and you don’t have to worry about what happens if you put it on someone else’s stand, or other things that can happen if you actually use the guitar...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    ICBM said:
    I don’t understand the obsession with nitro. I’d much rather have a finish that resists wear better and you don’t have to worry about what happens if you put it on someone else’s stand, or other things that can happen if you actually use the guitar...
    Fully agree. The finish is to make the guitar look good, and protect the wood from tiny dents and humidity changes- modern finishes are far superior

I can understand why you'd French polish (for example) a light-tension, lightly-braced classical guitar, but I can't believe the finish on an electric affects the sound.  The only valid motivation I can think of is if you want to develop your own natural reliced effect
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I never wanted a PRS. They seemed a bit pricey for what they were.
    I'm a strat guy, but not partisan abought it, I bought a 335 and wanted a Les Paul. I love chambered guitars, and don't like very heavy guitars, so I got a Chambered LP.
    After a year or 2, I gave up on it, the ergonomics did not work for me, put it up for sale and then strangely ended up swapping it for a PRS, and an amp for another PRS inside one week, both times offers out of the blue.

I'd recommend them to anyone now. Gibson sounds with better ergonomics, better quality, that stay in tune.
    The 335 was sold after I realised the PRS Hollowbody worked better for me. Again, the ergonomics of the 335 did not suit me, and it did not stay in tune as easily. (I had a pro set up to fix the nuts on both Gibsons, but even then the angles behind the nut are problematic)

I bought a PRS studio last year, I've always been struggling to get a SSH pickup set to work for me, so it was interesting to get the NF pickups on this, which can do a lot of different sounds. 

So: I play mine when I'm not in a strat mood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7896
    ICBM said:
    Practically speaking, it is great for repairs as you can always blend in new finish, especially on good acoustics where it's going to be repaired some day in the future. 
    With electrics, when they do wear they wear nicer and it makes sense on vintage style guitars. Modern guitars I'm less bothered by if the finish is thin eg Musicman
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4246
    I play mine a lot. Particularly for recording: it's the only hardtail I own at the moment so it's the only one where you can't hear the trem springs resonating.
    I always think of mine as being different from most PRS though: matt black, no bling (although it does have birds)
    Standard 22 Satin perhaps? Lovely things if so.