Any Bogner Shiva owners out there? What OD pedals do you use?

What's Hot
stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 40
Just wondering if any of you guys own a Bogner Shiva and if so what OD pedals you have tried with the amp...
The drive channel on the Shiva is awesome and I'm not trying to replace that, it's just nice to have a few more options available for different styles of music and different guitars...
At the moment I use a BB preamp just for a little breakup on the clean channel and to send the drive channel into insanity...
I have tried BB Preamp - sounds pretty good on both channels, TREX Mudhoney - sounded great on both channels too and a Wampler pinnacle - sounded great on the clean channel but I wasn't convinced on the drive channel...

Any thoughts appreciated!
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    Yes!! and I find the drive channel to be a little fussy with what is put into it....

I have settled (for this hour at least) with a Keeley TS9 and an EP booster and that seems to get me around a few guitars and sounds (CS Relic Strat, R7, MM L3 and a DGT) using combinations of either both..

I'm finding the secret is to knock back the gain on the drive channel to about 11 o'clock as anything more seems to muddy up the drive somewhat.

Does yours almost compress/sag with loads of extra drive hitting the front end?
    oh and I've tried literally dozens of pedals....and the one that was supposed to be "the one" for the Shiva (Fulldrive) was absolute shite...
  • stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 40
    welshboyo said:
    oh and I've tried literally dozens of pedals....and the one that was supposed to be "the one" for the Shiva (Fulldrive) was absolute shite...
    Thanks for your response! Yeah mine does get a little too compressed and a bit saggy with the BB sometimes... I have the gain at about 2 o clock so will try winding it back a little. I also use an Xotic SP compressor but at present it's only on the clean channel. Thanks for the suggestions I may look at the Keeley... I was going to try an RC booster too as i thought it might be a little more transparent than the BB but I like the sound of the EP booster too! 
    What's your settings like on your Shiva (drive channel)? Mine are Bass: 2 o'clock, Middle: 12 o'clock, Treble: usually around 12 o'clock and channel volume around 2 o'clock too...
    Oh yeah- also forgot I tried a Fulltone OCD - sounded weak and crappy...
    edited June 2014
    The EP is great IMO, I'll try and record something and post it on here..

Drive Channel settings are (I've set it so its as close to the clean channel as possible tonewise - which is both at 12oclock)

Bass - 2o'clock, Middle - 9.30, Treble just a tad over 12, volumes are a tad over 12 too (with boost volume slightly more)

also, @wolf5150 will tell you what my sound is like out front :-)
    Sounds good! Will try the EP too! Do you have the bright button in or out on the drive channel?
    ah!!, yes, in, but that depends on the guitar a bit too, in mainly with the R7 and DGT and out with the rest of them..if I remember!!!

Presence is about 12 too
    Great, thanks for your advice! I have been rocking' the Shiva for 6 years now and still love it every gig which I find amazing as I have had so many different amps looking for 'the tone' and think I have found mine with the Shiva!
  • vizviz Frets: 10738
    I think the carvin legacy is supposed to be quite close to the ecstasy and the shiva, and therefore keeley ts9 and keeley sd1 and bd2 should sound lovely; put the amp gain on less than half and use the pedal to do the rest - it will fly.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    I think the carvin legacy is supposed to be quite close to the ecstasy and the shiva, and therefore keeley ts9 and keeley sd1 and bd2 should sound lovely; put the amp gain on less than half and use the pedal to do the rest - it will fly.
    Thanks! will definitely have a look at the Kelley stuff! Cheers for your response!
  • GuitarnutGuitarnut Frets: 31
    I've had a Shiva a long time now. Pedals that work well for me with it are a Klon KTR, Boss Blues Driver (Keeley Modded) & a Timmy. I'm not really going for a heavy sound more of a bluesy/classic rock type of thing.

edited June 2014
    oddly enough, I had a 2nd hand EHX Soul food land on my doorstep yesterday which is apparently close to the Klon, and I have to say, its making some fine noises with the Shiva..

That and the Keeley Ts9 is giving me a myriad of tones on both channels...impressed I must say
    Thanks guys! Just got an RC booster to try but like the sound of the Timmy too... The keeley modded stuff keeps coming up so must try that too!
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I used to use a Danelectro cool cat transparent OD (V1) which was a Timmy clone when I had a Shiva and it worked brilliantly so sure a Timmy would do the same. 
    fastboy said:
    I used to use a Danelectro cool cat transparent OD (V1) which was a Timmy clone when I had a Shiva and it worked brilliantly so sure a Timmy would do the same. 
    Cool, cheers! It's nice to hear what people are using!
    @welshboyo and @Guitarnut Just an update- I got hold of a fredrick Zombie Klone (Klon Klone) and I'm impressed with it so far but only on the gain channel... I still prefer the BB on the clean channel... I still want to get round to trying a Timmy though!
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    @stefjudd @welshboyo ;

Was wondering if you chaps have had an recent developments in this? I'm expecting a Shiva to land on my doorstep tomorrow so am have become quite interested in this thread.
  • @matt1973 hi! Yes, I have finally come to the conclusion that (IMO) there isn't one particular pedal that works well on both channels; I have settled for a xotic BB preamp on the clean channel for a little bluesy breakup tone and a xotic rc booster for the drive channel for more gain whilst keeping the original tone intact... The RC sounded awful on the clean channel and the BB sounded OK on the drive channel but thinned out the tone a little, added some high end and made it sag too much for me... Probably the best I have had in one pedal was a TREX mudhoney, that was very cool... If one of those turns up I may well grab it- I have no idea why I sold it!... But I guess GAS is a disease that affects your judgement sometimes!...
  • matt1973 said:
    @stefjudd @welshboyo ;

Was wondering if you chaps have had an recent developments in this? I'm expecting a Shiva to land on my doorstep tomorrow so am have become quite interested in this thread.

Also, congrats on the Shiva... Before I owned mine I was swapping amps every 6 months getting bored... I have owned the shiva (and nothing else) for 5 years now and still love it!
  • Paul Cochrane Timmy is a winner on both channels (But particularly the Clean) on my Shiva 6l6 :).