Any Bogner Shiva owners out there? What OD pedals do you use?

What's Hot

Comments

• Totally just realised other people said that too - great minds!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally just realised other people said that too - great minds!

Yeah, that has been mentioned, haven't tried one yet as I keep getting outbid on eBay or I just miss them...
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

Timmy's are great, I actually made a double timmy for my Blackface Super Reverb and it was terrific. I would imagine the same could be expected from the Shiva clean. 

Might have to get the soldering iron out :/
  • No worries! Always nice to meet new shiva owners! Ooh I may have to try making a timmy clone, how difficult is it?
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I'm actually just back in the Shiva camp again and can highly recommend the love pedal OD11 for these.
    There's a layout here:-

And the parts can be bought here:-

I found this a fairly easy build and I'm no expert. If you know one end of a soldering iron from the other, it's worth a shot :)

fastboy said:
    I'm actually just back in the Shiva camp again and can highly recommend the love pedal OD11 for these.
    Isn't that a Timmy clone?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Yes, the OD 11 is a direct rip off of the Timmy.
    edited February 2015
    matt1973 said:
    fastboy said:
    Yeh, having owned the timmy, Danelectro and OD11 I can confirm they're all pretty much the same although funnily enough, I like the Timmy the least of the 3! I found the Timmy was to harsh in the high end, the OD 11 and TOD are much smoother. 

All 3 can get very woofy in the bass so just need to set it very carefully which is a smidge under half way on the OD11. I picked up my OD11 from Andertons recently as they had them on special for £69. Obviously you could build a clone cheaper but you wouldn't even get a used Timmy for that price....

EDIT - Just checked, they're still £69 and they have 9 left in stock. I'm guessing that they may be getting close to end of line as Andertons are trying to clear the stock (or maybe about to bring out a V2 - cease and desist maybe?) - http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid26191/cid692/lovepedal-od11-drive-pedal.asp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sweet. That's a great price. Soldering iron can stay where it is :)
  • fastboy said:
    matt1973 said:
    fastboy said:
    Yeh, having owned the timmy, Danelectro and OD11 I can confirm they're all pretty much the same although funnily enough, I like the Timmy the least of the 3! I found the Timmy was to harsh in the high end, the OD 11 and TOD are much smoother. 

All 3 can get very woofy in the bass so just need to set it very carefully which is a smidge under half way on the OD11. I picked up my OD11 from Andertons recently as they had them on special for £69. Obviously you could build a clone cheaper but you wouldn't even get a used Timmy for that price....

EDIT - Just checked, they're still £69 and they have 9 left in stock. I'm guessing that they may be getting close to end of line as Andertons are trying to clear the stock (or maybe about to bring out a V2 - cease and desist maybe?) - http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid26191/cid692/lovepedal-od11-drive-pedal.asp
    Cool! thanks for the info!
    edited February 2015
    Check this page for the schematics of the two pedals superimposed upon each other :D

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited February 2015

Sorry for arriving late at the party :-)

For me, and I have been through LOADS of pedals....the be all and end all of pedals that works with my EL34 Shiva is the SL drive, in SuperBass setting with a fairly low drive level -  absolutely wonderful sounding pedal - using it on the Clean channel as my rhythm sound and then back off guitar volume ever so slightly to give me that pushed clean sound -  armed with an EP booster as well, I can get any sound I want out of that set-up.

On Channel 2, it makes it scream - I'm actually now using the 2nd channel as a 2 voice Lead channel (as the Boost does give a slightly richer sound IMO) and with the SL Drive it again gives me a myriad of sounds.

There is also a Fulldrive on my board (older non-Mosfet version which IMO is the best) which I use in 18v on the 2nd channel to get a flutey high gain sound for single line stuff when I need it.

This does sound like a tap dancer's nightmare, but luckily I'm using a looper which switches channels as well so all of this is within 1 foot press!!

Oh and Channel 1 with the SL and a Fuzzface gives you a great Hendrix Vibe.

I have promised before but will try this week and get a vid up of this setup - to me it sounds perfect..

Might try an OD11 though..
    welshboyo said:

For me, and I have been through LOADS of pedals....the be all and end all of pedals that works with my EL34 Shiva is the SL drive, in SuperBass setting with a fairly low drive level -  absolutely wonderful sounding pedal - using it on the Clean channel as my rhythm sound and then back off guitar volume ever so slightly to give me that pushed clean sound -  armed with an EP booster as well, I can get any sound I want out of that set-up.

On Channel 2, it makes it scream - I'm actually now using the 2nd channel as a 2 voice Lead channel (as the Boost does give a slightly richer sound IMO) and with the SL Drive it again gives me a myriad of sounds.

There is also a Fulldrive on my board (older non-Mosfet version which IMO is the best) which I use in 18v on the 2nd channel to get a flutey high gain sound for single line stuff when I need it.

This does sound like a tap dancer's nightmare, but luckily I'm using a looper which switches channels as well so all of this is within 1 foot press!!

I have promised before but will try this week and get a vid up of this setup - to me it sounds perfect..

Vids, we need vids :)

I'm guessing you're running the bass very low then on your amp if you're using the super bass setting given that the Shiva has so much bass on tap to start with? 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    @fastboy

everything at 12 o'clock, I find the Shiva does tend to over compress and sag quite badly with anything over 12'o'clock bass wise...

Fuzz makes it especially bad..
  • welshboyo;532172" said:
    @matt1973 @fastboy @stefjudd

Yeah, please post some vids!...
    welshboyo said:
    @fastboy

everything at 12 o'clock, I find the Shiva does tend to over compress and sag quite badly with anything over 12'o'clock bass wise...

Kind of the same here. I use a Zilla fatboy so tonnes of bottom end so I'm finding I run the bass about 4 on both channels. 

I may speak to Zilla about building me the open back panels on the cab as OB seems to work beautifully with the Shiva from past experience and might tame a bit of bottom end as well. 
  • fastboy said:
    welshboyo said:
    @fastboy

Kind of the same here. I use a Zilla fatboy so tonnes of bottom end so I'm finding I run the bass about 4 on both channels. 

I may speak to Zilla about building me the open back panels on the cab as OB seems to work beautifully with the Shiva from past experience and might tame a bit of bottom end as well. 
    I have my bass set around 2 o clock, so maybe I'll try dialling it down a little... I use the Bogner 4x12 straight cab which is closed back too. I have been wanting to swap to a bogner 2x12 for a while due to playing smaller venues these days but no one is up for a trade!
    My RC booster arrived today so will put up some sound clips too at some point soon...
    stefjudd;533087" said:
    fastboy said:

welshboyo said:

@fastboy

I have my bass set around 2 o clock, so maybe I'll try dialling it down a little... I use the Bogner 4x12 straight cab which is closed back too. I have been wanting to swap to a bogner 2x12 for a while due to playing smaller venues these days but no one is up for a trade!My RC booster arrived today so will put up some sound clips too at some point soon...
    If you have any guitarist mates with an open back cab give that a whirl as well. The shiva specific 2x12 bogner cab was open backed. They still do it but just refer to as just the generic 2x12 open cab these days as opposed to shiva specific.

It really accentuates the warm woody tone
  • I use a sick as overdrive, sounds great with just about everything you throw at it!