There are too many damn nice guitars yet to buy

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
edited June 2020 in Guitar
After 5 years not buying any guitars last week I got a Strat, since then I have been getting more itchy.

First Gav got his wicked black Rickenbacker 620 that i have immediately fallen in love with, tonight there was that Novo Serus T....

What is odd that I never liked Rickenbacker or offset style guitars before but something about a smaller size 620 in black and the Serus T in TV yellow that i really like.  I don't even like Novo that much, watching Rhett Shull and his 2 or 3 Novo that he has don't interest me, not a fan of their glitter finishes of the ones that he has but damn....in TV yellow it works much better.

Good thing I have decided to save up for a house instead....got the Strat just in time!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7896
    Pick 3-4 electrics and find the good versions of each, IMO that really does cover most needs. 
    You may be shocked to realise that guitars generally never sound or play as well in person as they do in your head before you buy them... hence they get moved on loads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    I want a jazz box and something a bit shreddy. I tend to gas when looking at pictures of guitars, but never when I'm playing the ones I own
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    I want a jazz box and something a bit shreddy. I tend to gas when looking at pictures of guitars, but never when I'm playing the ones I own
    A LP sized semi hollow with spruce top and built with an acoustic construction would do you or a bit more solid to sculpt the back to appeal to the shreddy side a bit more
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Its weird right. 

I randomly gassed for a tele and then had to have one a year or so back.. 

Then just before lockdown I was suddenly compelled to buy a Gibson.. having never owned or even played one before. They never appealed to me at all. 

I saw an LPJ on the wall in PMT and spent literally 2 weeks debating it non stop, everyday.

In the end I drove myself nuts and said no, its not cheap, I don’t need it, it’s just a fleeting fancy and pushed it out of my mind, and put the money in the savings. 

That was Friday night, and I slept well knowing I’d made a decision and no longer had to consider it. 

Saturday morning I was handing over £1200 and driving home with it. 

Fucking insane this guitar life I’m telling ya. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    It has taken all week, but I have convinced myself that my R8 isn't enough for me and I need a new a SG Junior. The 2019/2020 Original Collection models look AMAZING.

I have now promised it to myself when I finish my current work project, which should be by the end of the month.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5509
    When you actually try a Novo, forget the house...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Whitecat said:
    Lucky for me that is no longer possible ?  :o
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    LPManic said:
    It has taken all week, but I have convinced myself that my R8 isn't enough for me and I need a new a SG Junior. The 2019/2020 Original Collection models look AMAZING.

I have now promised it to myself when I finish my current work project, which should be by the end of the month.
    They do look great from what I’ve seen of them! 

Just wish they did the range of Juniors in the Pelham and Sparkly Burgundy that they’ve done the sg specials in... although I’m glad they havent else I’d be in trouble..  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5509
    Whitecat said:
    Lucky for me that is no longer possible ?  :o
    Unless you can get to Coda soon. :) They have a few more coming in before it all goes direct, apparently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    edited June 2020
    I see lots of very pretty guitars, lots of guitars that look well built and well conceived and usually (fortunately)they cost too much money for me. 
    I’d love a Novo serus  sj and a fano RB6 but I have my rivolta combinata that I bought sight unseen primarily based on looks to fill the gap. Fortunately for me it’s turned out to be amazing for me (slight wonky neck aside). 
    I honestly don’t think I’ll find a guitar better for me and until being able to afford a Novo or Fano with ease I’ll not be buying another guitar. 

We build things up in our minds to standards I don’t think any guitar could achieve. GAS strikes hardest when we play least. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    roberty said:
    A LP sized semi hollow with spruce top and built with an acoustic construction would do you or a bit more solid to sculpt the back to appeal to the shreddy side a bit more
    Oh I meant as two separate guitars :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    I’m sorry. 

If it helps, the 620 is a result of madness too. Still, we could all be dead soon, so balls to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27723
    I absolutely want (at some point) a big Gretsch, a Rickenbacker 360 and/or 620 (6 and 12 please), and I'd like to build an LP DC Special on a guitar building course of some sort. I'd also really like a Jaguar, and a maple-board Strat.

Then a couple of other acoustics. And I have a decent bass on the way...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5008
    Having bought two basses during lockdown, including a Rickenbacker 5-string and a Kramer aluminium necked bass, I've just had to give myself a bit of a talking to, as I started looking at another RIckenbacker...
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    The Rickenbacker pull is certainly a potent one once it has you! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    roberty said:
    I want a jazz box and something a bit shreddy.
    You are Secret Steve Howe, that guitar is an ES-175D strung with twelves and I claim my five Pounds.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5008
    The Rickenbacker pull is certainly a potent one once it has you! 

Yep - I'm up to 8 at the moment...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    edited June 2020
    This might get a bit long... are you sitting comfortably?

After my last band ended and I went through some life changes I wanted to draw a line under everything so I got rid of all my guitars (LTD EC1000s, Jackson Kellys and Vs) and ended up with a Modern Player Plus Tele. I upgraded the pickups which improved the sound a lot but then I decided that I didn’t really like the neck, and for the stuff I play it felt like I was fighting it rather than just playing, so I bought a dirt cheap Jackson, something like a JS32 Dinky hardtail. Pickups weren’t great, but it had a really nice neck so I was happy with that.

Then I decided that I needed a Floyd Rose, after literally decades of being 100% a hardtail guy... I ended up swapping the Tele for the Performance (the one that’s now sparkly orange).

I sold the Jackson, genuinely can’t remember why now... then decided that I needed a hardtail superstrat to go with my Floyded one (genuine wtf moment as I’m typing this). So I bought a Dinky from someone on here. I liked it, but didn’t bond with it for some reason and when I went to Peach Guitars to try out a Katana I also had a go on a Squier Contemporary Active Strat, which I really liked: my wife remarking that it sounded nicer than the Jackson was the trigger I needed to buy it.

So now I had 2 Floyd guitars and one hardtail... I sold the Jackson, and bought a Charvel Pro Mod Style 2 (Tele shape - in my defence though, with a *much* nicer neck than the Modern Player I’d had before).
    I put new pickups in the Charvel, then after spotting an advert on facebook I ended up swapping it for a GJ2 Shredder, which was a really nice guitar. Hipshot everything, great condition, lovely neck...

Now I needed a hardtail again! So I ended up trying a few more guitars in Peach, then buying a Schecter Reaper. I really liked that, but it ended up going back as it had a dead spot on the neck that I just couldn’t live with. While I was at Peach I had an email from Guitar Guitar offering X series Jackson Soloists at £399, so I bought one. It needed a truss rod tweak but other than that played fantastically, and I’d literally never played a guitar with such good top fret access before.

Somewhere around this point I needed to clear some space and also get some money in to pay off the credit card from the recent purchases, so I sold the Squier and the GJ2. At this point I was back down to two guitars: the Performance and the Jackson... so now I needed a hardtail again! I bought a PRS SE Mark Holcomb from a guy on eBay. It’s great: usual excellent PRS build, absolutely amazing pickups that blow me away every time I play it... now I have Floyd and hardtail.

I’ve recently made a few upgrades to the Jackson, so now it has a great pickup in it, the trem springs don’t ring out any more: it’s pretty much my #1 now, and there’s nothing else I need.

And yet... I keep looking at the Jackson HT6 Juggernaut...

tl;dr - my name is Kerry and I’m a GASoholic
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    I’d love a Rickenbacker 620. Just the right size for a short arse like me.
    I’ve been lucky enough to own lots of guitars after selling a couple of nice ones a few years ago.
    I literally went through 25 guitars in a 12 month period (One or two in as one or two went out - not quite the level of some of the esteemed GAS addicts on here, eh @DB1), but more than I had owned in total for the previous 25 years.  There was a Les Paul, a few PRS, core and SE models, strats-a-plenty, couple of oddballs including two great Cabronitas and probably the nicest of all, a Musicman Albert Lee.
    I came out the far side gigging the same two I started the journey with - tele and strat.

I’ve currently got GAS for a PRS McCarty in McCarty burst - wanted one since the launch. Unfortunately the alignment of availability and me having the cash has never quite aligned.

Strangely, the one that keeps popping it’s head over the wall and waving is an Ibanez PGM301. I’ve loved the look of these since I saw Mr Big back on their first tour. I know it would make me happy, I know I’d find a way to deal with the fact that my comfy zone is a fat neck and these have necks that are slimmer than Twiggy after a crash diet. I also know that I’ve never been a particularly fast or technical player. But ultimately I keep asking - would I keep it?
  • skayskay Frets: 396
    Whenever you imagine yourself with a new guitar or amp, it's always in a situation where you're playing really well, sounding great, and are really enjoying the experience. 

If we pictured ourselves playing the guitar/amp when we're uninspired, or playing badly, or simply just picking the same stale riffs we trot out everytime we pick up our guitars, then I'm sure the "this guitar/amp will change everything " dreams will come crashing back to reality...

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom