There are too many damn nice guitars yet to buy

What's Hot

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2275
    Pick 3-4 electrics and find the good versions of each, IMO that really does cover most needs. 
    You may be shocked to realise that guitars generally never sound or play as well in person as they do in your head before you buy them... hence they get moved on loads.

wisdom.

I've got a strat gretsch lp ric and an archtop.so why do I want a gold top, Tele, offset and a prs? and I've never played a prs and liked it.

It's  because im not playing out and I'm watching too many mike hermans videos.

Being stuck indoors has always been a problem for me. 2004 I broke my leg and was off work for 5 months. I bought a les paul, es125, 2 lovetone's and just about the entire eh line up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    edited June 2020
    I’m feeling slightly guilty that my 620 has caused so many problems for people D

edit: it’s started two independent threads of its own, aside from the NGD one! Ha. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3328
    edited June 2020
    I came out the far side gigging the same two I started the journey with - tele and strat.
    Know the feeling, after a 4/5 year merry-go-round of gear I recently picked up the tele I’d gigged with for about 15 years but had been out on long term loan to a mate. Other than being visually a bit loud for a middle aged fella, it felt like home. Anything I want now really is just gas, though I do regret letting my Ric 330 go, that was a stupid move.

My psychedelic heavily modded, triggers broom (on the pickup front), ‘00 USA standard tele:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/7SoW8v
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    I want a jazz box and something a bit shreddy. I tend to gas when looking at pictures of guitars, but never when I'm playing the ones I own
    A LP sized semi hollow with spruce top and built with an acoustic construction would do you or a bit more solid to sculpt the back to appeal to the shreddy side a bit more
    Oh I meant as two separate guitars :-) 
    I was saving you money to spend on some other guitar tatt 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    edited June 2020
    I came out the far side gigging the same two I started the journey with - tele and strat.

My psychedelic heavily modded, triggers broom (on the pickup front), ‘00 USA standard tele:
    Nowt wrong with that. It’s ace.
    My no1 is a 52ri tele, but I also have a Pink Paisley that sometimes comes out to play, so I’d happily gig yours (& I’m 50).
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited June 2020
    It's funny what we convince ourselves we need in the name of GAS Ever since I sold my Les Paul a few years ago I've been convinced I need another one, but each time I try one out I find I love the tone and sustain, but the rest of the playing experience is pretty miserable due to the ergonomics etc. Then after a while I'll forget about it and convince myself I need one again, because I feel like my SG isn't the "full fat" Gibson experience. Thing is in a recording or live situation that extra low end and fatness will probably need to be EQ'd out anyway!

I've also come to realise I like the idea of having variety, but in the end I try to make each guitar sound pretty similar to each other anyway. For instance whenever I play a strat I wish it had humbuckers or fatter singlecoils to get it closer to the sound from my other guitar, because I like that sound more. 

What I really need is to get a good setup on my main guitar (I've ruined the setup by swapping out pickups and changing around tunings so much) and focus on playing it properly. The most useful thing for me to buy is something to play through headphones. That's just not as an exciting a purchase. And I will end up with a PRS at some point I've been GAS'ing for one of those longer than I have any other guitar (nu metal kid).
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 966
    edited June 2020
    There's no such thing as too many guitars!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3328

Nowt wrong with that. It’s ace.
    My no1 is a 52ri tele, but I also have a Pink Paisley that sometimes comes out to play, so I’d happily gig yours (& I’m 50).
    Cheers, I think it’ll be coming out a lot more when we return to normal. The wife did the paint job, back when we were young and hippyish, so it has a bit of sentimentality about it. I just find a tele has a great grab and go quality, I definitely suffer from option paralysis with the rest! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    My Ebay and Reverb watch lists have reached a sort of equilibrium in that if I buy guitar X I won't be able to have guitar Y and so on, so it's keeping me from buying any of them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Sometimes buying stuff is just a sign you have too much disposable income.

I've been playing bass in bands for a long time and don't see the point in having a lot of guitars. I sold a jazz box I got with severance from a job as I thought two guitars was enough. I'd still like a Telecaster, but won't get one until I find a good reason to have one.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    I haven't bought a new guitar in 8 years. The LTD EC-50 I have isn't mine, a mate gave me it cos he never plays it anymore so its like a little modding project for me.

There's a few more guitars that I want to get, a 335 type guitar, a PRS, another Tele (Jim Root) and a Jaguar. But I know if I got anymore I wouldn't play the ones that I already own alot. They kinda give me most of the sounds I need across a wide range of genres.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited June 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    My Ebay and Reverb watch lists have reached a sort of equilibrium in that if I buy guitar X I won't be able to have guitar Y and so on, so it's keeping me from buying any of them.
    I have exactly the same thing with all the guitars and gear I'm interested in so it's nice to see I'm not the only one   mostly a budget restraint thing for me but I also don't really like redundancy/having multiple things with the same purpose. Which contradicts my point earlier about me ending up making all my guitars have a similar sound regardless of their type. This is why I haven't bought a new guitar for years as I overthink it and find the process weirdly stressful. Probably about 10 years since I bought a full new guitar (I've done 1 parts build and sold it on swiftly!)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    GAS is an evil mistress. There are waaaaaaaay too many nice guitars out there, but thankfully I have got better at recognising the difference between temporary lust and long-term desire. It makes life a lot easier. 

• melodmelod Frets: 136
    prlgmnr said:
    Ha! I agree in that it becomes more of a hobby of aspiring to acquisitions than actually buying, although many would prove me wrong here.

I think that it is better to set a target, based on your personal circumstances, and buy a new guitar every x amount years.

Yes, it will depreciate blabla but if that is a priority then why not. I often get people shocked at how much I spent on a guitar (1-2k) only to find out later that they bought a much more “essential” massive SUV. 
  • Trouble with GAS is it stops you playing, or at least it does with me ... too much time looking at guitars/amps/pedals, not enough trying to do stuff  :). basically need my wifi disconnecting so I can do something useful  :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited June 2020
    Don’t feel like like you have to justify having a wide range of similar guitars. You like what you like, it hasn’t hurt John5!  I prefer to have a different flavour & body shapes. 

Have a cheap Squier Strat & Thinline Telecaster, Ibanez HSH with a Floyd Rose type trem & a Variax 300 model. Next guitar I buy will most likely be a HH type guitar.  Not sure if I should get a Hollowbody or something solidbody more like a Les Paul, although it doesn’t have to have the “G.....” logo on the headstock.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I've bought three guitars during lockdown and I'm getting one refinished.

Duesenberg Starplayer TV
    Musicman JP6
    Ibanez RG550 Genesis

I can't physically fit any more guitars in here! 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks for the name check @CountryDave! ; :). There was a good point above about chasing the acquisition and that rings true.

I started late really, and wanted to try as many guitars as possible, so I reckon that I've got through 150 or so in the past four years - about 50 of them being Gibson.

Inquisitiveness coupled with an obsessive personality makes for an interesting time.

I think that there's been nine guitars and three amps since lockdown and fifteen or sixteen this year. I have sold some as well, to be fair. Four, I think. 

Trouble is, it gets less exciting and the fix keeps getting bigger! It's always just... one... more. More time learning and less time obsessing would be good

That Novo though......   
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    Stop looking, I'm hankering after a shell pink strat and a black les paul custom....literally no need for either.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.