Where are the impartial YouTube reviews?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16406
    NelsonP said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    And there is stuff that they won’t touch because it isn’t their thing. 
    Yes. I've only ever seen Mick and Dan review one modeller which was a Kemper.

Custom shop strat, matchless amp, £2k pedal board = yep.
    Line 6 hx stomp vs iridium vs amplifire 6 = nope.
    I seem to remember them doinga Shoegaze (?) episode that was just embarassing. 
    They are only ever seconds away from embarrassing at any moment, but so am I so I find it endearing. 
    They do demo stuff but it isn’t firstly a demo/ review channel and whilst they have obvious mates in the industry by and large they just do their own thing. 

I think the reason there aren't any decent guitar reviews is because of something we don't really want to face up to which is broadly speaking it's all the bloody same.

What Pete Thorn, Ola, Mike Hermans, PGS Andy, etc shows you is that if you can play well and know a thing or two about production then there is virtually no gear on the market that you can't get a decent sound out of.

For the last 20 years there is hardly any really shit gear out there with the possible exception of some of the high end Gibsons with terrible QC from a few years back.

I've been watching the reviews of American Original Fenders. Guitarist chose the Jag as the pick of the litter whereas Lee Anderton really obviously hated it. It tells you nothing informative unless you can get the thing in your hands.
    If you'd handed it to Danish Pete he could have recorded a demo that made you think it's amazing, but the same is true of anything you gave him.

The only thing that is relevant and does shine through on line is workflow. The quality of sound between the Helix and the Amplifire is splitting hairs, but one is a joy and the other make me want to jump out of a window.
    That seems about right, even with simpler gear it can be just about trying to ascertain if it can do what you want it to do and if it sounds roughly in the ballpark. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I do reviews I really just want to make it sound as good as I can whilst staying true to my style. I make the videos for myself first and if anyone else is interested then great. Some of my videos have been more successful than others, usually the ones where the manufacturer has shared them. Which is fair enough.

At one point I thought I'd try and make a real go of it. But it really does take a butt load of work so hats off to anyone who can make it work.

I think most of the bigger names are in it because they love guitar and gear first and foremost. You can't do it just for the advertising revenue, because there isn't much of it to go around anyway!

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17916
    tFB Trader
    I think sometimes you can glean some interesting information from what people actually use.

My interest in an American Original has been encouraged a bit by Shane from In The Blues who bought one after reviewing it even though he already had an AVRI. Putting his own money up does give a bit more push.

Similarly PGS Andy almost always used a Deluxe Reverb and an ASAT for pedal demos again that made me think. "He has everything and that's what he uses"

In reality it was probably just what was in the studio.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1085
    Click on a review, skip to playing, listen to the noise.  Like the noise? Good.  Don't like the noise? don't buy it.
    Well, kinda. But there is so much added compression and audio pimping it's hard to judge. Plus the mojo is in the feel lol
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Whitecat said:
    horse said:
    Scott Grove
    I thought he rage-quit the internet?
    He's taken Don a lot of his stuff but still shows playing technique
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    Whitecat said:
    horse said:
    Scott Grove
    I thought he rage-quit the internet?
    He's taken Don a lot of his stuff but still shows playing technique
     I was just going for a cheap laugh. Had to search to remember his last name, but found a clip of him ranting about people calling out for Freebies at gigs. Seem to remember his fretboard wood rant was one of his finest?
  • nectarnectar Frets: 8
    There’s a channel called ‘Honest Amp Sim Reviews’. Sadly I haven’t watched it enough to vouch for its honesty.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    I don't even get past the thumbnails these days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    NelsonP said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    And there is stuff that they won’t touch because it isn’t their thing. 
    Yes. I've only ever seen Mick and Dan review one modeller which was a Kemper.

Custom shop strat, matchless amp, £2k pedal board = yep.
    Line 6 hx stomp vs iridium vs amplifire 6 = nope.
    I seem to remember them doinga Shoegaze (?) episode that was just embarassing. 
    That was hilarious that it was so far out of their comfort zone that they couldn't do even a decent impression for 10 seconds. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I guess that it doesn’t do any harm to watch the reviews, some of them can be quite entertaining in a limited sort of way but many of the gear pluggers get a bit boring after a while, ( I long ago got fed up with the Andertons videos for instance ). I would personally never buy a guitar or similar piece of gear based solely YouTube videos. If many YouTube reviews are to be believed I’d never have to spend more than £300 on a guitar, all I’d need to do is buy a Harley Benton.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5515
    Babones said:
    This ^^ - if there is more than one font on it, it's a serious red flag, more than two fonts, no way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    I find Phillip McKnight pretty good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3371
    Whitecat said:
    Babones said:
    This ^^ - if there is more than one font on it, it's a serious red flag, more than two fonts, no way.

...and no pointing at stuff!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Babones said:

Ha, I was gonna do a longer version of that post listing off the tropes and that was absolutely the first one after the fonts... :D
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3371
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    Babones said:

Ha, I was gonna do a longer version of that post listing off the tropes and that was absolutely the first one after the fonts... :D
    More commonly known as ‘Darrell Braun-ing’ ;)

Do the trope post!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    I imagine virtually all of them are getting something out of it, whether it is free gear, a contract to review more, revenue from Youtube or discounts.

I just listen to a few and decide for myself. Andertons have a vast array of videos yet I barely but from them.

Everything is essentially an advert. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5009
    edited June 2020
    It's not a new thing though, guitar mags were doing the same shit long before the internet came along, among others.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    It's not a new thing though, guitar mags were doing the same shit long before the internet came along, among others.
    At least you needed to be somewhat of a journalist and a good communicator to write for a guitar mag. Some of these YouTube "personalities" have everything but...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5009
    I know what you mean, but then as now, none of them guitar mags ever gave anything a bad review. So it may have been well written, but it was still favourable to the manufacturers who sent it to them and bought ad copy. 

The more things change and all that....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    Babones said:

More commonly known as ‘Darrell Braun-ing’ ;)

Do the trope post!
    Multiple Fonts!
    Pointing at something, or off-frame to nothing!
    Loads of exclamation points and/or question marks!!!!!????!!!!!!
    Angry face!!!
    Scrunched-up faux "confused" face!!
    Thinking face!!!
    BOLD CLICKBAITY STATEMENTS will CHANGE YOUR LIFE or RUIN WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW
    Manypicturesoverlaidoneachother
    hand-drawn-graphical-emphasis!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom