Best sigs ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• Rickenbacker 1998 Pete Townshend and 370/12 McGuinn are perfect to me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    To me, a sig guitar should be unique to that player - I'm not clued up on pat's sig. 

I don't like sigs that are, for example, an lp with different pickups. I guess a lick of paint is enough if unique enough. 

I take back about the Tremonti sig, didn't realise it had so many differences. :) 

The Ibanez Paul Gilbert Fireman fits your bill then, as do the Manson Matt Bellamy guitars.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    Wow!

I stand corrected - shame it has the Vai logo on there, maybe that;'s why I'd never paid any attention to it - the less it says it's a sig the more it appeals

I'll stick it on the bucket list though
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    I haven't played many signature modesl, but my PRS SE Holcomb has a different scale length to any other PRS I believe, and custom pickups. It's a cracking guitar
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• 'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Schecter Nick Johnston looks like a great modern take on the strat. Ebony board, big frets, flat radius, side jack, 1 vol 1 tone. I'd quite like a HSS one. Shame they still have the awful Fender style chunky neck heel though.
  • The BB King Lucille is the obvious winner, Epiphone or Gibson.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    What about Zakk Wylde's LP? 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Despite the early neck angle (and the controversial fix), the original Gibson Les Paul (52 to 61) is the greatest signature model ever.
    I am just old enough to tell you that they were "second hand guitars", albeit expensive ones, when I was in my late teens. They were a second hand guitar that every player I knew - without exception - was willing to kill both their granny and your granny to somehow own one.  And that was on the basis of having maybe 2 or 3 examples, in their hands, for just a few minutes. Pre internet.  Pre Hype. Pre Mega Collectors.

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9612
    Gretsch George Harrison. There isn’t a gretsch I’d rather own
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 559
    edited June 2020
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 559
    I've always wanted a hard tail JEM. 
  • The headless Kiesel/carvin Holdsworth models. Massive neck, 24 jumbo frets , 20” radius fingerboard, hollow. Was the first new ( mass produced, Klein and forsharge are custom) headless model since Steinberger. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2648
    I'm instinctively put off sig models, but not to the point I wouldn't have one if the specs were a good fit and I didn't think I was paying a premium to have a celebrity's signature copied onto it.  Assuming Les Pauls don't count I've owned two DGTs and a Nathan East signature bass.  All were superb instruments.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    edited June 2020
    cm01 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    On a personal note, I'm very fond of my Lee Roy Parnell CS-336 - black VOS finish, ebony board, '59 profile neck.  There's really nothing about it I'd want to change.  I'm glad I managed to get hold of one, there aren't many of them around.
    I missed out on one of those last year - had a chance to buy one from the US at a fair price, dithered overnight and it went!  They look amazing and perfect for me ... I’m jealous 

@cm01 I was looking for one for a few years, I can't remember how I heard about them - certainly not when they were actually made more than 15 years ago!  I'd seen three or four of them for sale on eBay and elsewhere (maybe the same ones turning up in different places) but always missed out.  Eventually I got mine from the USA, on Reverb. 

There was one in a shop in Germany, or maybe the Netherlands, last year - LRP 002, it looked in better shape than mine, lots of really good photos.  Probably long gone by now though.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    grungebob said:
    The “captain” Kirk Douglas SG was very nice with its vibrola, 3 pickups and 6 way switch. One of those guitars I sadly had to sell. 

There have been some really nice signature SGs in recent years - Kirk Douglas, Jeff Tweedy, Brian Ray, Elliot Easton.
  • Skipped said:
    Despite the early neck angle (and the controversial fix), the original Gibson Les Paul (52 to 61) is the greatest signature model ever.
    I am just old enough to tell you that they were "second hand guitars", albeit expensive ones, when I was in my late teens. They were a second hand guitar that every player I knew - without exception - was willing to kill both their granny and your granny to somehow own one.  And that was on the basis of having maybe 2 or 3 examples, in their hands, for just a few minutes. Pre internet.  Pre Hype. Pre Mega Collectors.

Not a signature guitar though, is it? I mean, it has the name on but it bears no resemblance to the instrument Les Paul played... He'd hack them up to suit, no? 
  • DiscoStu said:
    To me, a sig guitar should be unique to that player - I'm not clued up on pat's sig. 

I don't like sigs that are, for example, an lp with different pickups. I guess a lick of paint is enough if unique enough. 

I take back about the Tremonti sig, didn't realise it had so many differences. :) 

The Ibanez Paul Gilbert Fireman fits your bill then, as do the Manson Matt Bellamy guitars.
    The fireman is awesome! I've never played one but they're just so good looking. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33985
    The only two that I'd consider playing would be a PRS DGT or a Fender Eric Johnson Strat.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Not a signature guitar though, is it? I mean, it has the name on but it bears no resemblance to the instrument Les Paul played... He'd hack them up to suit, no? 

You are right. And I like to remind people that all of Les Paul's working guitars were heavily modified. Especially those people who  get sniffy about guitar owners who heavily modify their own 52/53 Gold Tops. :)  The Eric Clapton Beano Historic has Eric's signature on the case, and on some editions of the guitar, even though he can barely remember the guitar, let alone the case.