Never again

What's Hot

Comments

• sergiosergio Frets: 116
    If they need to be Fender, have you tried one of the 'modernized' versions? Deluxe/Elite/Ultra - with a belly cut and some other changes that modernize playability they seem to work for some people who struggled with classic-styled teles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited June 2020
    Schnozz said:
    I think what the gentleman is trying to say is that 'Teles are shit' and I would agree.
    Not sure how much more wrong you could be in one sentence. The only thing better than a Telecaster is two Telecasters.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    You temptress @merlin but no this time I have hopefully learnt my lesson, the last strat type one was a great guitar ( levinson blade ) and I decided after that one that would be it,
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    I tried a lot of stuff a while back and found that the American Deluxe type things were almost like a two pickup Strat ( nothing wrong with that of course). It had to be traditional bridge and massive neck 50s neck to have that Tele magic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    rlw said:
    I've tried a Vintange something or other, a Deluxe Nashville, a Baja, an American Standard and a Classic 60s.  All different.

It's something about the sound.  Maybe I should try one with humbuckers or P90s.  But it's not really a Tele then is it.

It's not really a Tele, but it might be a guitar you really like.  Unless you dislike the look or balance of the body and neck as well, in which case you might as well give up.

I think I feel the same about Les Pauls.  I've had quite a few variations on the theme but I won't be buying another unless it's lightweight, has a thinner body and better upper-fret access.  Which isn't really a Les Paul, but it can still look like one (from the front, at least).

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    You temptress @merlin but no this time I have hopefully learnt my lesson, the last strat type one was a great guitar ( levinson blade ) and I decided after that one that would be it,
    I'm glad. I wouldn't have been able to live with my conscience if you'd bought it and hated it. I'm also happy to be referred to as a "temptress" despite being a bloke. To be fair, we haven't met though!

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited June 2020
    Tele's are the best guitars ever made.

End of.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    I'm the same with anything Fendery, it never lasts long! I love the sound and stripped down/rock solid bare bones ethos of a tele but just don't enjoy playing them as much as a Gibson style guitar. I think a Les Paul Jr/Special is as close as I'll get to that sort of thing. I've just got back a strat copy which was on long term loan to a friend, it feels good til I get back on a Gibson and it's like slipping into an old comfy pair of shoes. To continue the clothes analogy a Fender feels like a stiff pair of jeans straight out the wash. Even "nice" American Fenders don't do it for me, they all feel a bit uninspiring. Fight and stiffness in a guitar doesn't make me want to play it.

Saying that I'm still interested in a modern take on a Tele like the Schecter PT Special. I think the more modern neck, frets, cutaway neck heel, arm contour etc might make it all feel less clunky.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Never actually owned a “proper” Tele, I’ve had a Tele with P90’s, an Esquire, a few with humbuckers. Love the shape, and the traditional look when done well, but something has kept me away from a boggo two single coil Tele, probably because I don’t associate it with any of my favourite sounds from my musical hero’s.

My “never again” moment is PRS - I’ve had Core / S2 / SE, every one of them was beautifully built, I like the look when not too bling, I love the fatter neck carves, they just never sound quite right to me. And I’ve lost a friggin fortune on all of them. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    A poor workman blames his tool.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1220
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    I think what the gentleman is trying to say is that 'Teles are shit' and I would agree.
    Unless they're rear routed with a nice heel, a pair of Humbuckers & a Floyd ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    edited June 2020
    MikeS said:
    Tele's are the best guitars ever made...
    ...and are machined from pure weapons-grade awesome. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I’ve got one of your former teles (the CP60’s) and love it. Haven’t made any changes except a treble bypass wotsit on the volume control. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4766
    Sassafras said:
    I'll have you know I can play a Tele as badly as everything else, if you don't mind.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    Sassafras said:
    I never blame my tool for not being able to get it going....

However, I can't quite make Telecasters work for me and Strats work better but not quite what I need from an instrument. 

I have a Fano SP6 standard with a tele bridge pickup and a P90 in the bridge. The neck is like a chunky 50s LP and the body is similar shaped, like a Les Paul Special, and it feels like a hybrid that fills every need that I have from a tele. Better ergonomics and shape to my taste, but we're all different, right?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4766
    edited June 2020
    I am exactly the same with Strats. 
    GAS hard but one them remember why I dislike them. I must be due my bi annual strat purchase soon 

Whereas I love Strats and truly wonder why I sold the most fab Highway 1 ever, an HSS American Special, an SSS American Special and a 40th anniversary Standard which is now worth twice what I sold it for ..........but I still have my Deluxe Roadhouse.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7025
    Sassafras said:
    Unless his tool is a Telecaster. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    edited June 2020
    Clearly the OP is pissed. Firstly he can't string a sentence together and secondly he has severely impaired judgement. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14772
    merlin said:
    I can't quite make Telecasters work for me
    Try without a plectrum. Failing that, try with a combination of plectrum and fingers.

Many of the Country licks associated with the Telecaster were originally banjo or fiddle motifs. I think in terms of pulling sounds out of a Blackguard T-style guitar. Literally, extracting them with fingers and thumb. Play that way through overdriven valve amplification and it mutates into early Rock ‘n’ Roll.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    merlin said:
    I can't quite make Telecasters work for me
    Try without a plectrum. Failing that, try with a combination of plectrum and fingers.
    I found the best thing was playing without a tele, and using a good guitar instead.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom