Never again

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    They're like the national health specs of guitars. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    rlw said:
    I've tried a Vintange something or other, a Deluxe Nashville, a Baja, an American Standard and a Classic 60s.  All different.

It's something about the sound.  Maybe I should try one with humbuckers or P90s.  But it's not really a Tele then is it.

The thing I couldn't get on with on a tele (after 15 years as a strat guy) was the uncomfortable ash-tray bridge.   The tele I eventually bought is a 6-saddle bridge with no lip around the edge and that made a world of difference.   Mine also has the control plate flipped so the volume is closest to the neck.

Don't give up on the tele thing yet!   If you can find one - a Roadworn player (roadworn neck and 6 saddle bridge) is excellent.   Maybe change the neck humbucker to a tele neck pickup unless you really want the Keef vibes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Nearly every type of guitar has different ergonomics for a start so while many adapt some dont and pick another type Although I play teles all the time I never got on with the Aerodyne and have no idea why .Maybe its carved top did it ..Strats hang on their straps differently to Gibson ,Teles ,Jaguars  so will suit some not others.I am finding that probably a Les Paul sized guitar is probably the one for me I only have a cheapie Vintage Zip  and try out on a LP special to confirm that  and far too old to bother .Age may even come into .As we slowly ooze into the great abyss our bodies change .I used to carry a Watkins amp and a Hofner guitar for about 5 miles  on foot  up hill and down dale when I was teenager .I could carry the guitar far now .
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I went Tele hunting about five years ago. I was on holiday in Glasgow and did a tour of the shops. I stuck only to Squiers and Fenders and the only one to tick all boxes was the USA Standard. Only that and the Baja sounded anything like I thought a Tele should sound.

Still haven't bought one though. Two guitars is enough for somebody that only gigs as a bassist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9605
    Schnozz said:
    I think what the gentleman is trying to say is that 'Teles are shit' and I would agree.
    Don’t worry, we all grow up one day and it’s at that point you get a tele
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13045
    They're like the national health specs of guitars. 
    Deeply unfashionable for decades and then made trendy by a few bands in the 90s? Sounds about right :D
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I'm saying all the right words ....... but ... not ... necessarily ... in the right order

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 969
    if only everyone liked the same guitars - we could all get on with our lives
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4766
    Just bought another gibson scale guitar in place of the Tele - now the Strat, loved as it is, is on the block................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    grungebob said:
    Parts casters can be disasters. 
    Disastercasters - today's new word!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    edited June 2020
    Tele’s can be amazing. They are a true working mans guitar and are very much capable of covering a lot of basses. But admittedly they can also be really difficult.

I went through 5 Tele’s before I settled on my current Tele which is a 72’. It’s a great example with a lovely neck, but I still had to change pots, caps and change the bridge pickup to a creamery. 

I messed around with all of the previous Teles too but I just couldn’t tame the ice pick and keep enough of the brightness. One of them was practically Trigger’s broom as I changed so much.

I find Strats to be similar to be fair. Most of them are never quite right, and the good ones seem hard to find. In fact I think it’s just guitars in general. 

A good Tele is a wonderful thing so you probably just need to keep on looking for the right one.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    rlw said:
    Just bought another gibson scale guitar in place of the Tele - now the Strat, loved as it is, is on the block................
    P90 SG will do all your singlecoil tones, but without sounding thin and weak ;) comfier and lighter too.