Do Fender Strat/Tele comes with the ashtray these days

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    I honestly don't know if any of my Strats or Teles have ashtrays or not.  There may be one or two sitting in the cases.

I have got one Tele which came with a six-saddle bridge in the case, as an alternative to the three-saddle one.  That was unexpected.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    ICBM said:
    skunkwerx said:
    My American Professional came with the new version.. 

What on earth is the point of that? It serves no purpose - the original was intended to shield the pickup - it looks ridiculous, and the front corners are sharp enough that they're likely to slice your hand open if you catch them. Total waste of metal and money.
    Haha I know. It serves absolutely zero purpose! Doesnt even cover the saddles.. 

Surprisingly comfortable though! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    skunkwerx said:
    ICBM said:
    What on earth is the point of that?
    Haha I know. It serves absolutely zero purpose! Doesnt even cover the saddles.
    It’s a stash tray. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    That's the first time I've seen one on a strat ^^  !! 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1129
    Silly question but what is the actual function of the ashtray? Does it enhance the tone in any way or purely a visual aesthetic? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Silly question but what is the actual function of the ashtray? Does it enhance the tone in any way or purely a visual aesthetic? 
    I guess it serves to protect the bridge from your hands (oils and dirt) or protect your hands from the bridge (Sharp edges).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    The original function of the Tele one was to shield the pickup. Theoretically it should take off a very small amount of top-end, but probably not much since it's quite a long way from the coil.

The Strat one, I'm not sure - I can only assume a visual thing since there is no shielding necessary there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited June 2020
    skunkwerx said:
    ICBM said:
    skunkwerx said:
    My American Professional came with the new version.. 

What on earth is the point of that? It serves no purpose - the original was intended to shield the pickup - it looks ridiculous, and the front corners are sharp enough that they're likely to slice your hand open if you catch them. Total waste of metal and money.
    Haha I know. It serves absolutely zero purpose! Doesnt even cover the saddles.. 

Surprisingly comfortable though! 

I like that and need one of those on my American Standard although they have the flat bridge, I tend to rest the palm of my hand on that area when picking which is fine on an ashtray bridge but sharp and sore when resting on a single saddle. First world problems eh
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Completely, utterly pointless. But they look sooo.. cool.

The design actually makes more sense with it on. Looks better imo. 
    A bitch to palm-mute though 
    Yeah it's not a good design. Aesthetically though it looks far more complete. 
    Same can be said for the bridge covers on my Jaguar and both of my Rics... and yet they’re all in their cases!
    I really like the bridge cover on my 330, comfy little spot to rest my hand and doesn’t really get in the way of palm muting. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7322
    Completely, utterly pointless. But they look sooo.. cool.

The design actually makes more sense with it on. Looks better imo. 
    A bitch to palm-mute though 
    Yeah it's not a good design. Aesthetically though it looks far more complete. 
    Same can be said for the bridge covers on my Jaguar and both of my Rics... and yet they’re all in their cases!
    I really like the bridge cover on my 330, comfy little spot to rest my hand and doesn’t really get in the way of palm muting. 
    Ah, the 330 I wanted to buy off you! :D
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    My AO strat came with one. I wonder how different guitar history would’ve been if it hadn’t been so easy to take them off
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Alex2678 said:
    how different guitar history would’ve been if it hadn’t been so easy to take them off
    String changes, pickup height and saddle adjustments would have been a tad difficult. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    Funkfingers said:

String changes, pickup height and saddle adjustments would have been a tad difficult. 
    String changes on the basses with bridge covers are a pain.

Oh...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    PMT are strangely silent about why mine didn't have one.

I'll never use it, but given that I've had a sale fall through in the past because of lack of hang tags I want all the candy.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7322

I'll never use it, but given that I've had a sale fall through in the past because of lack of hang tags I want all the candy.
    yeah, I would be too - Just relentlessly hassle them via all media until they respond. 
    edited June 2020
    So I guess they only come with American Standard level and up?

I would've thought they would come with all vintage spec guitars like Vintera as vintage guitars had them as standard back then.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader

yeah, I would be too - Just relentlessly hassle them via all media until they respond. 

Just had a reply and they say that they don't

Hmm.

Might speak to @MattFGBI ; about it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635

I would've thought they would come with all vintage spec guitars like Vintera as vintage guitars had them as standard back then.

The only time I definitely remember getting one (outside Custom Shop) was with an AVRI Strat.  They've never been supplied with American Standard/American Series/American Professional etc because the "modern" bridges were never designed to be fitted with ashtrays.

And as far as I'm aware they're not supplied with any MIM models, even vintage reissues.  They've probably been supplied with certain MIJ models over the years but god knows which ones.

Philly_Q said:

The only time I definitely remember getting one (outside Custom Shop) was with an AVRI Strat.  They've never been supplied with American Standard/American Series/American Professional etc because the "modern" bridges were never designed to be fitted with ashtrays.

And as far as I'm aware they're not supplied with any MIM models, even vintage reissues.  They've probably been supplied with certain MIJ models over the years but god knows which ones.

Sounds like pot luck.
    Been playing the Strat with the cover on, sure I can't palm mute but if you don't need to...i find it really comfortable! lol

I might leave it on for regular practice  =)