Best examples of high gain single coil sounds?

What's Hot

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 593

I may be wrong, but I think Akerfeldt switched to single coils for the latest Opeth album and some of the sounds on there are pretty damned heavy.

Would echo the Biffy comment too, its not on every song by any means but when he wants hi gain by feck can he get it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Lebarque said:
    Biffy Clyro. Somehow he makes a strat into a metal zone sound monstrous!
    Was also going to say them

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Smashing Pumpkins are a decent shout in their early days but James Iha was also using a Les Paul Custom so not sure how much is really SC tone. 

True but if you listen to some of the love stuff we’re James isn’t playing you can hear how huge it sounds. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5211
    TTBZ said:
    Bill Steer uses a Les Paul Jr a lot if we're allowing P90s (the best kind of single coil, fact).
    HE does but not really with Carcass. He used the Jrs live for a bit as he found his Customs too heavy for touring but then switched over to Melody Makers with Monty pickups
    The p90s are mostly with Firebird and Gents Pistols. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 919
    Richie Kotzen is pretty high gain for the legato stuff 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 593
    This thread is making me chuckle a little bit with all the blues and classic rock players suggested for high gain.  Makes all the threads about mild OD pedals into low watt valves make more sense ;-)

Sorry ... I'm only being cheeky.  Clearly not a huge number of heavy rock / metal players on here though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    edited June 2020
    Didn't Days Of Worth use Teles for their chugga sound ? (Made by your mate Creedy IIRC @Fretmeister)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16426
    s or RandallFlagg said:
    Daniel Ash with Bauhaus? Fender Tele through HH amp

I'm guessing that wasn't what the OP was after either but it sounds magnificent. As far as I know it's just tele and amp plus probably the pre amp from his Copycat?
    An HH pedal would be great - instant sales to all the old blokes who've invested in boutique valve amps but actually want to sound like Wilko Johnson, Bauhaus or Marc Bolan.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Now I've had another think, one of Alexisonfire uses Jazzmasters and LP juniors. They're pretty heavy. It depends what you mean by heavy, I suppose it's contextual really. 

• Eric Johnson? Does Cliffs count
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    Bezzer said:
    This thread is making me chuckle a little bit with all the blues and classic rock players suggested for high gain.  Makes all the threads about mild OD pedals into low watt valves make more sense ;-)

Sorry ... I'm only being cheeky.  Clearly not a huge number of heavy rock / metal players on here though.

:)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27107
    Tooting my own horn here a bit, but all the guitars on the left and in the solo are Lace Sensors (which, strictly-speaking, are single-coils with a fancy magnet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR7ueyizumQ
    <space for hire>
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    In truth, you can only apply so much gain at real sound pressure levels before the whole thing sound like screaming or mushy crap. Similarly at recording levels, the heaviest sounds are actually also the most distinct and punchy because they find space in the mix alongside everything else. Pretty much why everyones favorite "heavy "high gain bedroom tones sound like a wall of crap at stage or recording mix levels. It is the whole arrangement / mix that defines heavy, as well as retaining dynamics and the envelope of each note. Same gear, different styles of music. 
    When recording,  I find that the heaviest parts tend to come from punchy distinctive multiple tracks, using eq, varying gain and compression, while allowing each one space in the mix 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    Eric Johnson? Does Cliffs count
    Nope
  • ColsCols Frets: 7303
    Just realised a glaring omission - Tony Iommi.  All of the early Black Sabbath albums were a P90-equipped Gibson SG.

Maybe not ultra-high gain by modern standards, but still absolutely bonecrushing.

https://youtu.be/K3b6SGoN6dA
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    HerrMetal said:
    Bernie Torme. Proper old school noisy Strat tones. 
    I love a bit of Bernie and saw him live several times but I doubt if he got really high gain? Maybe some of the GMT stuff. 
    Yeah, I’d have said Bernie Torme too...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73120
    Cols said:
    Just realised a glaring omission - Tony Iommi.  All of the early Black Sabbath albums were a P90-equipped Gibson SG.

Maybe not ultra-high gain by modern standards, but still absolutely bonecrushing.
    Not high gain at all. A treble booster into a non-MV amp cranked up is not even medium gain by modern standards.

The heaviness and 'crushingness' of Sabbath mostly comes from his phrasing and the bass tracking the guitar, as artiebear said (even if he meant multiple guitar parts).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    edited June 2020
    s or RandallFlagg said:
    Daniel Ash with Bauhaus? Fender Tele through HH amp

I'm guessing that wasn't what the OP was after either but it sounds magnificent. As far as I know it's just tele and amp plus probably the pre amp from his Copycat?
    An HH pedal would be great - instant sales to all the old blokes who've invested in boutique valve amps but actually want to sound like Wilko Johnson, Bauhaus or Marc Bolan.    
    Or Stuart Adamson, he used one as well with The Skids didn't he?

I love his tone with The Skids, a tone I aspired to as a kid. It took me many, many years to figure out he was tuned down to D

• ColsCols Frets: 7303
    ICBM said:
    Cols said:

Not high gain at all. A treble booster into a non-MV amp cranked up is not even medium gain by modern standards.

The heaviness and 'crushingness' of Sabbath mostly comes from his phrasing and the bass tracking the guitar, as artiebear said (even if he meant multiple guitar parts).
    Like I said; not by modern standards.  It all depends what fretmeister’s objective was in seeking high-gain single coil tones.  It could be that a dollop of Sabbathy goodness is just the ticket.