Best examples of high gain single coil sounds?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Joe Duplantier from Gojira on a Telecaster

3:00 onwards for the chugs and trem picking

https://youtu.be/6xUoOaHzk5s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    edited June 2020
    P90s - Billie Joe Armstrong, Johnny Thunders etc
    Jazzmaster single coils - j mascis, troy van leuven etc.
    Strat - Simon Neil, hendrix
    Tele - tom morello

But generally as the filth level increases, humbuckers are better. I remember Chris Shiflett talking about how single coils just never work in the foo fighters.

Found it, from 2.40 here

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    Mike Vennart of Oceansize (and also Biffy Clyro live session guitarist) has been known to venture into high gain territory on occasion using strats, teles and jazzmasters.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24887
    I have never listened to Biffy Clyro. I will give that a try.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    If you're into heavier stuff check out their song "in the name of the wee man".
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Listen to the song Sunrise. Huge riff and sounds like it's a strat bridge pickup through something beasty.

Also Kings X Dogman was strat wasn't it? I don't think it was until later that Ty Tabor moved to LPs but I could be wrong on that. Cool tone anyway.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    TTBZ said:
    Also Kings X Dogman was strat wasn't it? I don't think it was until later that Ty Tabor moved to LPs but I could be wrong on that. Cool tone anyway.
    He might have been using the Zion guitar with Joe Barden pickups by then (although not necessarily in the studio).  The first four albums are definitely his Strat Elite but I don't know if the pickups are typical single-coils, the guitar had some kind of active electronics.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5199
    In the early days of Cathedral, Adam Lehan used a strat, althiugh he left after the first albums.
    Greg Anderson uses p90s with Goatsnake, and possibly with Sunn as well. 
    Obviously they are a lot heavier than your  average high gain bands.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    edited June 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    He might have been using the Zion guitar with Joe Barden pickups by then (although not necessarily in the studio).  The first four albums are definitely his Strat Elite but I don't know if the pickups are typical single-coils, the guitar had some kind of active electronics.

He used Yamaha RGXs for a while didn't he? I think around the time of Faith Hope Love? They were definitely humbuckers...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2401
    Ritchie Blackmore Strat into Marshall with Akai tape machine boosting the front end. ref. Live in Japan. 
  • Jason Falkner 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957

The P90'd Revstar sounds awesome here.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    edited June 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:

He used Yamaha RGXs for a while didn't he? I think around the time of Faith Hope Love? They were definitely humbuckers...
    He had a Yamaha signature model, RGX TT, available in regular or long scale.  That had a Duncan JB and Cool Rails (or perhaps Vintage Rails).  But I think that was later, not sure exactly when but he had short hair by that stage!  Maybe about 2000?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    edited June 2020
    This may be completely not what you're thinking of , but I can think of one player who used single coils and high gain - high enough that all playing dynamics and tone variations from the guitar are more or less totally eliminated. And he may have been the very first to do that, as well...

Mike Oldfield.

Not exactly yer conventional high-gain tone or music application, though .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 591
    @ICBM why the hell didn’t I think of that!

Him or Chet ...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    https://youtu.be/sN13ixEz7XM

Here you go, in drop E (octave below standard), looks like single coils to me!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Guitar Shop period Jeff Beck
    Absolutely. A Rat into a couple of Fender amps I believe. Probably a whole load of studio EQ, delay nd reverb there too, but a great sound. "Where were you" is sublime, and then at the other end of the scale you have "Big Block" which a big, thick Strat tone.  
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Jimi something? You know the one. 
    Jimi Kranky?