What type of guitar player are you?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
What type of music do you play and what type of set up do you use? 

I’ve been struggling with this lately as I’ve a few hats to wear when it comes to bands. I play in 5 bands and all are different styles which makes me wonder what type of player I am. All the bands are originals bands but stylistically very different ranging from an EDM dance music band, Americana through to Prog and the straight up Rock and Roll. 

I never did but I have absolutely started looking at gear as a tool for the job. 

The irony is that I like to think of myself as a blues player but in non of the five bands do I play blues and I’ve never even done a straight ahead blues gig (Damn you COVID I was due to with @Panama_Jack666 & special guest @Gassage).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1023
    a crap one :-(

i mostly attempt rush covers and some gods awful widdling (really awful improvisation).

after 20+ years trying to play am stilk terrible but the desire to play will always be there.

ps i have a bass also so do bloody awful bass covers too now :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    I am a scrabbler. 

IMO, Frank Zappa, Andy Summers, Lindsey Buckingham, Neil Young, Alex Lifeson, Ron Asheton and others are also scrabblers.

It is possible that I use their recorded works to justify my own racket. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10776
    Jack of all trades, ....
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    In my head I’m Chris Buck. In reality I’m Marty Schwartz.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2591
    LPManic said:
    :lol: 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    For nearly 15 years I played mostly in touring rock bands, from indie to pop punk and metalcore. Usually used a humbucker guitar into a high gain tube amp, minimal pedals.

I'm a tutor also so have learnt to appreciate different styles that aren't just rock. My guitar collection extends to single coil and P90 guitars.

Usually play most stuff and normally accurate rhythmically and melodically.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332
    Rhythmic arpeggiated stuff that is too often mistaken as ‘the lead guitarist’, when I’m really not, I’m just accompanying the singer and sit somewhere between Keith Richards, Marr and Peter Buck, with a lashing of Johnny Greenwood. It’s nothing special but it does the job. 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1257
    LPManic said:
    So I'm not the only one who thinks he isnt good enough to teach?
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 173
    I’m hugely influenced by a classical music education at school (clarinet). I like to have a music (notation mostly) in front of me, and play whole pieces. The structure really works for me and I know how to do it. I really struggle with anything requiring improvisation for which I appear to have a compete mental block. I’d also really love to play blues and some jazz, but never get further chord melody arrangements done by others. Love doing it though, and never struggle to motivate myself to practice.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3177
    Well today’s playing included some lizzy purple Hootahs Carpenters Masquerade Runrig and Herman’s Hermits kinda hush ( great chord progression) 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    Traditional Country, folk and singalong guitarist and bass.  I play bass with a band and the guitar with friends and family members.

I have way too many guitars, some of the are 'good' ones and a decent bass.  I don't use pedals apart from a tuner and I use a Line6 Pod 2 as a guitar backup in case my bass amp fails during a gig.

Self taught apart from some theory and elementary bass from a teacher.  I use a piano as a liner teacher of chords and theory.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4697
    Same as I am as a lover 
    shit but it pleases me 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4697
    Same as I am as a lover 
    shit but it pleases me 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2390
    I’m a complete and utter tart, musically speaking.

I’ll have a go at most things - rock, indie, country, pop, disco, soul, funk, big band, jazz, blues - on guitar or bass or both.

Although I tend to favour single coils on guitar, I have a range of guitars to cover most situations. Always with low-power valve amps and analog effects.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Blues, but my writing style is more alt rock/pop
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    I've stopped over thinking stuff now. For Live Playing, my gear's just Tools. Set Amp to the very edge of break up ;)

I have each type of effect on Pedal Board with at least 3 OD Options.

Choose either HB or Single Coil Guitar depending on the set list/style of music.

Set Levels correctly, do a good sound check and off you go.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I'm currently in a band playing 80s pop tunes as if they were all being covered by Bon Jovi and I use a PRS 408 and a Marshall mini-Jubilee.

I guess that makes me Richie Sambora...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4218
    Retired. 
    To be honest poor knowledge and technique but i get the job done. Im probably a better bass player. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Aimless noodler.  I always tell myself I should learn to play other people's songs but I rarely retain interest in doing that because it's another person's song and don't really feel the desire to try and impersonate them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4388
    Same as I am as a lover 
    shit but it pleases me 
    Same as I am as a lover 
    shit but it pleases me 
    Still...at least once you've finished you're ready to go again straight away....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom