What type of guitar player are you?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• shaunm said:
    A jack of all trades and a master of none! 
    @Panama_Jack666 im not sure that’s true
    You're too kind! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blues, mostly of a Chicago nature but with elements of British, Texan and others. It used to be Teles, then it was Strats, these days I play sitting down and I find Gretsches work well for that. Always been Fender amps, always more pedals than my credibility can really stand (drives, Delay, Tremolo, phasers and vibes). I even utilise a little bit of MIDI and a switcher. It pleases me. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    I'm pretty much an ex-guitarist these days, as I no longer really have an outlet for it. 

I'm doing a bit of music for other people in my home studio which has involved strumming an acoustic on one song, but the rest is mostly programming. 

I don't even have callouses on my fingertips any more. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5009
    edited June 2020
    Mostly I'm trying to be a rock musician which is the reason I picked up the guitar, Les Paul into a Plexi sounding amp. Although I'll happily play REM all day too, along with a smattering of 90's alternative and indie. Usually I'm trying to pretend I'm Dan Hawkins!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• dunno?
    ....?
    does it matter?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 256
    Reinvented. I broke two fingers on my left hand 3 years ago, and due to misdiagnosis the middle one permanently lost most movement. This limits chords, and caused me to slow down, concentrate more, and choose what tunes to try. It’s given me a new pedal fascination and even lead to me experimenting with recording.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Blues and Rock mostly for me influenced by Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix, Page etc. Also listen to a lot of prog and space rock Steve Hillage, Grateful Dead Jefferson Airplane. Though known more as a singer and writer Peter Hammill is a guitar player who inflences me. I play in a rock covers band but we try and avoid the done to death stuff. I like to improvise a bit but I also like to learn complete songs not just bits of riffs. Gear wise my weapon of choice is an HSS strat into a valve amp with a few pedals.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4883
    A bandless one. It's hard to get enthusiastic about electric guitar playing (which is essentially an ensemble instrument) when there's no ensemble to play with. 

So currently working on acoustic solo pieces. I'm learning a nice Eric Roche arrangement of the MASH Theme at the 'mo. I can play it fairly well when I read it, but I'm trying to memorise it and it's not sticking. 

I've also been enjoying revisiting some very old classical pieces I haven't played since I was a teenager. Sounds OK on my Martin parlour guitar, but I'm starting to think it would sound even nicer on a nice classical. We'll see...  ;)

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
    mediocre but inspirational - unlikely to cause any lasting damage :) ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited June 2020

A 45 year old one that can't find anyone else to play with. 

I like blues and 60s stuff and fuzz and 90s alt rock. My dream would be a combo of that lot. 

I'm currently trying to get the live at Monterey version of Killing Floor under my belt but it is sodding fast. Got the strumming pattern up to about 130bpm but I think the original is around 160. Sigh... 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5460
    Not as good as I'd like to be, but hopefully not as bad as I think I am.

I'm more of a rhythm and fills kinda guy, rather than blistering solos. Partly because I lack the technical chops/ability for blistering solos, and partly because I'm more about songs than pure instrumental music or guitar wankery (although I respect those who've put the time in to be able to do that, and they always make me feel inadequate by comparison). Simple stuff for simple people, is me ;)
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    57 year old has been that never was, realising im not getting any better so just out to expand repertoire and enjoy what i do. missing the live pub gigs like crazy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    dunno?
    ....?
    does it matter?
    Not massively. But this is a forum for us to talk about guitars and guitar related things. Seems like a strange question you’ve asked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    An instinctive one. I'm quite good at being me... not very good at anything else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    ICBM said:
    An instinctive one. I'm quite good at being me... not very good at anything else.
    Genuinely, I think that sums me up pretty well too. 
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 328
    To be honest, I’m a complete bedroom player and not a great one at that. Can rarely make it through a tune without arsing something up, but to be fair I have a small son so very little time to practice (must find headphone solution).

I also have guitars and pedals that are waaaaaayyyy better than my playing warrants. My one redeeming quality - I absolutely love playing the guitar and guitars in general.

Would love to improve and would love to get back into a band situation, but just don’t have the time right now.  The solution? Needlessly jizz some more cash on top end guitars of course!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 445
    I've never really practised much in terms of scales and chord theory so I'm largely clueless in that regard and I do regret that. I learnt everything by ear, just picking out solo's off records and when I got good enough to play what I liked, my inherent laziness kicked in and I stopped bothering to get any better. I'm good enough to play in cover bands and I basically play bluesy rock, classic rock and a bit of Indie. Nothing too complicated but it keeps me happy.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10416

One who's left it too late in life to get as good as I would like to be.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    I'm happiest as a 3 chord, choppy rhythm player, like a really poor Wilko impersonator, I like nothing more than locking in with the drummer and chopping away. Lead wise I'll play repetition and drone type lines.

At home in my pants I'm a blues god!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom