What type of guitar player are you?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    edited June 2020
    Blues, Americana, light rock. As a guitarist I see my job as supporting the singist rather than being showy. I tend to be quite economic in my playing - I’d far rather play fills than full-blown solos that might put me in the spotlight. 

Gear wise I like to keep things simple. I've got a half a dozen guitars but find I play two of them (both single coils - the HB and P90 instruments really don’t get a look in and will get moved on at some point). Pedals - I find a light overdrive or two and a phase90 is all I need. Amps - currently just a single-channel 6L6 Blackstar which suits my (admittedly modest) needs. Great for home, jam nights, and small gigs. However, it would soon run out of puff with a loud drummer.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7353
    Same as I am as a lover 
    shit but it pleases me 
    If they aren't lyrics to a song already they should be
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
    edited June 2020
    Twinfan said:
    I'm currently in a band playing 80s pop tunes as if they were all being covered by Bon Jovi and I use a PRS 408 and a Marshall mini-Jubilee.

I guess that makes me Richie Sambora...?
    You - - WIN - -  I approve of 80s pop tunes played in the style of Richie sambora  , and a mini jubilee ,that’s excellent. Not sure what to think of the PRS ;) .  Extra point if you date orianthi ,heather locklear or Cher lookalikes 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Arktik83 said:
    Aimless noodler.  I always tell myself I should learn to play other people's songs but I rarely retain interest in doing that because it's another person's song and don't really feel the desire to try and impersonate them.
    I started playing Guitar due to my fascination with existing music and that "How does he get that noise" Curiosity. Swings and Roundabouts etc.

B) 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited June 2020
    I have a significant portfolio of half learnt songs that I can't remember how to play from one month to the next.

I'm aware of theory that I understood when it was explained to me but can't remember 1 week later.

I've learnt scales, but can't use them to make music.

I lose money on every 2nd hand purchase I move on and the occasional new gear acquisition has ended up not being for me.

After 25+ years you'd think I'd come to terms with being a lifer intermediate guitarist, but no, I'm still capable of annoying myself by not progressing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 984
    You may have guessed ...I’m a ska and reggae player. I’m in two bands, one that plays a mix of 60’s ska and blue beat and 2 tone covers and another which plays reggae and rocksteady.i also dep for other bands quite regularly. It’s mostly rhythm playing with the odd solo thrown in.
    Gear wise I go through guitars as I like to try different ones...I do have a couple of teles that are keepers but any others are traded/sold on a regular basis...the reason is I find I sound the same more or less whatever guitar I use. Amps though I don’t really change much..got a fender supersonic 22 head and zilla cab with a 12” creamback which is my main gigging rig and for home I have a Princeton reverb knotty pine. So fender clean amps. Don’t go much for pedals..have a boss bluesdriver  for the odd solo and an anologue echo pedal for the reggae and dub stuff.
    :)

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    S56035 said:
    LPManic said:
    In my head I’m Chris Buck. In reality I’m Marty Schwartz.
    So I'm not the only one who thinks he isnt good enough to teach?
    No you're not. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    S56035 said:
    LPManic said:
    In my head I’m Chris Buck. In reality I’m Marty Schwartz.
    So I'm not the only one who thinks he isnt good enough to teach?
    No you're not. 
    I guess it depends on the level of the person he’s teaching. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33985
    edited June 2020
    Shredder turned jazz-fusion nerd with a technology obsession.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Twinfan said:
    I'm currently in a band playing 80s pop tunes as if they were all being covered by Bon Jovi and I use a PRS 408 and a Marshall mini-Jubilee.

You - - WIN - -  I approve of 80s pop tunes played in the style of Richie sambora  , and a mini jubilee ,that’s excellent. Not sure what to think of the PRS ;) .  Extra point if you date orianthi ,heather locklear or Cher lookalikes 
    Well my wife is blonde and a bit Heather Locklear-ish, and she always wanted to marry Richie Sambora...
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7353
    Twinfan said:
    Twinfan said:

Well my wife is blonde and a bit Heather Locklear-ish, and she always wanted to marry Richie Sambora...
    Mine isn't blonde and is a bit Heather from Eastenders
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    I listen to Prog, Indie and Rock, so i play noodley pentatonic blues.  It keeps me happy.  Isn't  that what this is about.  Oh and spending a shed load of money chasing the ever elusive tonez.  Pod-Go seems to have cured that for this week.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10572
    I play and write in an originals band, mainly use Fender amp and guitar but also in a few good earning covers bands and a Kate Bush tribute band.
    I like to think I just play what's needed. My taste is all over the show and influenced by everyone from The Shadows through Van Halen to John Mayer and The Libertines. Just a lover of music rather than being led by guitar. I can remember not being interested in anything that didn't have decent guitar playing in it though ... seems funny now 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • A jack of all trades and a master of none! 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4388
    edited June 2020
    When I'm gigging, it's usually as an acoustic performer of traditional American roots styles - blues, old time, bluegrass - both fingerpicking and flatpicking. Instrumentally kind of in the vein of Doc Watson., but with slide added as a strong component. Dreadnoughts are my guitar of choice for that.

At home, I tit about trying to play like Magic Sam, Lightnin' Hopkins and T-bone Walker...not with any serious intent of making that a gigging concern (although I have done that in the past), more as a fan whose fandom is enhanced by getting their music under my fingers. Generally teles and strats into either a tweed Champ or Princeton Reverb for that stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    An erratic one.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    A jack of all trades and a master of none! 
    @Panama_Jack666 im not sure that’s true
  • I'd say im a rock a billy guitarist with hints of  rock n roll...country and blues in there to
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    Pretty much a Gibson into Marshall, riff-heavy rock/metal player. My "original" band stuff I write just rips off bands like Mastodon, Clutch, AIC, Down, Tool, RATM etc. Not reinventing the wheel or anything, I know what I like and what I'm good at. Tried a post-rock band for a bit but it all felt a bit wanky and too serious. I occasionally try to play more technical stuff like Protest The Hero, before I realise that's way beyond my abilities and put the tab book away. Tone wise, I have next to no interest in proper clean tones, jangly hollow singlecoil tones etc, just have no use for it. Humbuckers and a gainy British sounding amp do the job

I also play in a cover band which actually plays some slightly different stuff to your usual classic rock pub set. It's still shit though, but right now can't turn down paid gigs and easy money, whenever they're a thing again.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12520
    Arktik83 said:
    Aimless noodler.  I always tell myself I should learn to play other people's songs but I rarely retain interest in doing that because it's another person's song and don't really feel the desire to try and impersonate them.
    You’re my long lost twin brother. 
     :) 
    I love guitar but basically I just make a row and piss about a lot.