• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3180
    edited June 2020
    DrBob said:
    Just watching this and Earl Slick is playing a s Peavey through a Line 6,
    On The Pyramid stage.
    At Glastonbury
    And it doesn’t sound terrible..,
    I feel like I know nothing anymore 
    To be fair, it is a heavily customized Peavey, which was made just for him in some sort of endorsement deal. 

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/chats/dbchatslick0700.htm

No idea how he gets a Line 6 to sound good though.

Just watched Metallica and Hetfield is using a Line6 Variax for the acoustic stuff seam less switch from a 6 to a 12 string and back mid song threw me a bit! Not much of a fan so can’t say which song sorry
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    @Stuckfast. Yeah, the previous few years there had been more and more people with no tickets, and it was getting more and more crowded. In 2000 though, the wall had been completely torn down by the Sunday, and word had got round and a huge number of people descended on the site. Also, a lot of very dodgy people about, pretty much anarchy. It was cancelled the next year as a result of all this madness.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3058
    edited June 2020
    CloudNine said:
    @Stuckfast. Yeah, the previous few years there had been more and more people with no tickets, and it was getting more and more crowded. In 2000 though, the wall had been completely torn down by the Sunday, and word had got round and a huge number of people descended on the site. Also, a lot of very dodgy people about, pretty much anarchy. It was cancelled the next year as a result of all this madness.

That’s how I remember it. It felt dangerous. Saying that, I climbed over the fence on Friday so did contribute to it. Security was a joke! 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Is it on YouTube?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Loobs said:
    Is it on YouTube?
    Tis on the iplayer for the next 30 days https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kjlh/glastonbury-david-bowie
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    DrBob said:
    Just watching this and Earl Slick is playing a s Peavey through a Line 6,
    On The Pyramid stage.
    At Glastonbury
    And it doesn’t sound terrible..,
    I feel like I know nothing anymore 
    To be fair, it is a heavily customized Peavey, which was made just for him in some sort of endorsement deal. 

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/chats/dbchatslick0700.htm

No idea how he gets a Line 6 to sound good though.

Just watched Metallica and Hetfield is using a Line6 Variax for the acoustic stuff seam less switch from a 6 to a 12 string and back mid song threw me a bit! Not much of a fan so can’t say which song sorry
    Yup, that’s a standard Variax 700 acoustic. 
    I believe Het still uses it. 

Contrary to popular (internet) belief you can make some excellent sounds with Line6 equipment...

Oh and the Bowie thing... utterly spellbinding. Despite his obvious nervousness at times and the talk of laryngitis, the man was on top form.  For me, I think it’s one of the best Glastonbury performances of all time (if not the best).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    MagicPigDetective said:
    That’s how I remember it. It felt dangerous. 
    Glad it wasn't just me. I remember thinking that if any sort of a panic started there would be hundreds of people trampled to death.

Rolf Harris played in one of the tents and you couldn't even get into the adjacent field, never mind the tent itself.

Best thing I saw that year was Flaming Lips.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3058
    edited June 2020
    Stuckfast said:
    MagicPigDetective said:
    That’s how I remember it. It felt dangerous. 

Rolf Harris played in one of the tents and you couldn't even get into the adjacent field, never mind the tent itself.

I managed to get into the tent for Rolf! People were going mad for him. Makes you feel a bit sick now, fuelling the ego of such a man. . It was so crowded. Having arrived on Friday afternoon, I could barely find a square two metres to pitch my tent. There were no gaps at all. Idiots were even pitching tents near toilets.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2354
    I'm going to spend my evening watching this! Only ever seen the highlights.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Bet they don't show Rolf's set.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Awesome 

What was slicks red bound tele shaped guitar?
     (Not the framus sig one) didn't look like his own brand either 

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Bowie has to be 3rd greatest of all time after The Beatles and Led Zeppelin? Thinking songwriting, influence, image and just being the fucking coolest over decades.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Ironic that people mention Rolf's proclivities when Bowie's affairs with 13 year old girls are also well documented.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    I saw the Peavey and thought it looked nice before I realised it was a Peavey.
    I remember wanting a Peavey Raptor when I was in school just cos I thought the name was cool.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3180
    CloudNine said:

That’s how I remember it. It felt dangerous. Saying that, I climbed over the fence on Friday so did contribute to it. Security was a joke! 
    You lot really need to see this Glastonbury, Julien Temple's Glastonbury: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0079290 via @bbciplayer
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    When I went Rolf was a headliner!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    LPManic said:
    Bowie has to be 3rd greatest of all time after The Beatles and Led Zeppelin?
    Third greatest what?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    LPManic said:
    Bowie has to be 3rd greatest of all time after The Beatles and Led Zeppelin?
    Third greatest what?
    Musicker.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9786
    edited June 2020
    I’m watching it now and Bowie is clearly stepping on some device every now and again. Like a pedal, but he’s not actually playing an instrument. I can’t imagine he’d be controlling his vocal mike. He seems to be doing it in the middle of songs as well, so autocue seems unlikely. What is he controlling?

edit - looks like a pedalboard with a volume or expression pedal on it. But what for?
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I was at Glasto that year,  but I didn't know anything about Bowie at that point in my life, so I didn't go see him.  I think I might have been passed out in my tent at the time. My mates went and they loved it though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom