Bowie Glastonbury 2000

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I was at Glasto that year,  but I didn't know anything about Bowie at that point in my life, so I didn't go see him.  I think I might have been passed out in my tent at the time. My mates went and they loved it though. 
    You went to a music festival but you didn't know anything about Bowie.

My mind has never been so boggled.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    Hattigol said:
    I was at Glasto that year,  but I didn't know anything about Bowie at that point in my life, so I didn't go see him.  I think I might have been passed out in my tent at the time. My mates went and they loved it though. 

This is gonna blow your mind, but not everyone was born at the same time.

In 2000 I'd have been 15, and I honestly don't know if I'd heard of Bowie then. Hell, I'd never heard a Pink Floyd song.

Watched most of the set this morning. Honestly, I don't totally get all the fuss. I love his great songs as much as anyone else - Life on Mars, yes! And The Man Who Sold the World is a favourite of mine. But... there's plenty of humdrum stuff in his catalogue, too, and he's not shy to put it in the live show. The set had the vibe of a very good band playing songs, and that's fine. But there are lots of good bands playing the songs.

The other thing is, I'm not totally convinced Bowie would be all that excited about how backwards looking people can be - people raving about a 20-year old show by an artist who at that point was really a "legacy" act (I know he was still making music, but...).

I wish there was this much excitement in popular culture and wider society for the kind of music & artists that Bowie really liked in the years before his passing - the next generation of artists largely living through their years in obscurity or at best minor celebrity because what the world really wants is to bring back the dead artistic giants of the 20th Century.

It's kind of strange in a way. To use the same time intervals at play here, imagine if 1970 Bowie couldn't get a break because everyone was still obsessing over a recording of 1950 performance of a Jazz band who's cultural relevance stemmed from its work in the 1920s?

In conclusion, Bowie is cool. We need the next Bowies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31199
    A number of points:

1. Slick using 2 Ampegs plus the Line6- which is wholly super-wet- it's his pedalboard.
    2. I can't believe we got to two pages without mentioning Sterling Campbell who was absolutely mindblowing.
    3. I saw Slick with DB in 1983. I bought a pair of Pixie boots the next day.
    4. The outro Solo from Let's Dance was almost like the lovechild of Gilmour and SRV.

Useless nerd info:

Just before those shows, Reeves Gabrels got bitten by a tick and contracted Lymes Disease.

Slick was parachuted in very quickly and one of the reason the show was very Station to Station/old stuff centric was Slick simply didn't have time to learn a lot of the stuff DB had written since the Serious Moonlight tour and they agreed to go for a low risk set that Earl knew well.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    Gassage said:
    Useless nerd info:

Just before those shows, Reeves Gabrels got bitten by a tick and contracted Lymes Disease.

Slick was parachuted in very quickly and one of the reason the show was very Station to Station/old stuff centric was Slick simply didn't have time to learn a lot of the stuff DB had written since the Serious Moonlight tour and they agreed to go for a low risk set that Earl knew well.
    That's an interesting story!  I like Earl Slick, mostly due to his tenure in Little Caesar (I know, I'm a philistine).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m watching it now and Bowie is clearly stepping on some device every now and again. Like a pedal, but he’s not actually playing an instrument. I can’t imagine he’d be controlling his vocal mike. He seems to be doing it in the middle of songs as well, so autocue seems unlikely. What is he controlling?

edit - looks like a pedalboard with a volume or expression pedal on it. But what for?
    it's DB's  vocal effects system  that comprises a DigitechVocalist and a Moog moogerfooger. He always mixed it himself live!

There''s two volume pedals onstage where he mixes his own volume/gain and doubling and sets his volume level. He’s hearing the balance in his head and wants it to sound the same FOH.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    Cirrus said:
    Hattigol said:

In 2000 I'd have been 15, and I honestly don't know if I'd heard of Bowie then. Hell, I'd never heard a Pink Floyd song.

Don't worry, I've never heard of Elvis Presley. ;)

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1090
    Philtre said:
    Cirrus said:
    Hattigol said:

The guy that works in Holloway Road Tesco Express?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10029
    Philtre said:
    Cirrus said:
    Hattigol said:

The guy that works in Holloway Road Tesco Express?
    No I think he works in the chip shop
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Cirrus said:
    Hattigol said:

Thanks for that. You learn stuff every day.

My point was that you kind of have to be into music to go to a festival. I couldn't really see how you could be at a festival and not be aware of one of the biggest musical icons of all time.

Anyway, I apologise and hope you enjoyed Justin Bieber or whoever the hell it was you went there to see....  ;)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Cirrus said:

The other thing is, I'm not totally convinced Bowie would be all that excited about how backwards looking people can be - people raving about a 20-year old show by an artist who at that point was really a "legacy" act (I know he was still making music, but...).

I think that's very true. And in fact I seem to remember at the time a lot of people were quite sniffy about his Glastonbury performance because he did a crowd-pleasing greatest hits set instead of something experimental and arty.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    It's on Spotify too
    Stuckfast said:
    Cirrus said:

I think that's very true. And in fact I seem to remember at the time a lot of people were quite sniffy about his Glastonbury performance because he did a crowd-pleasing greatest hits set instead of something experimental and arty.

The main reason for that was Slick's late inclusion into the touring band.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    Slick interview Vintage Guitar.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/34728/earl-slick-2/
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9786
    Gassage said:
    I’m watching it now and Bowie is clearly stepping on some device every now and again. Like a pedal, but he’s not actually playing an instrument. I can’t imagine he’d be controlling his vocal mike. He seems to be doing it in the middle of songs as well, so autocue seems unlikely. What is he controlling?

edit - looks like a pedalboard with a volume or expression pedal on it. But what for?
    it's DB's  vocal effects system  that comprises a DigitechVocalist and a Moog moogerfooger. He always mixed it himself live!

There''s two volume pedals onstage where he mixes his own volume/gain and doubling and sets his volume level. He’s hearing the balance in his head and wants it to sound the same FOH.
    Superb answer - thanks! I am quite obsessed with the engineering detail of live rigs, it annoyed me that I couldn’t work out what it was.

On a side note, I realised that I am exactly the same age now as Bowie was in that performance...
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Hattigol said:

I was more into hip hop and the dance scene when i was in my early 20s. I enjoyed Glastonbury that year without knowing any Bowie songs - as unbelievable as that sounds.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    edited June 2020
    Earl Slick is a cool name. I wish I was called Phil Flash or something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    Great set from the great man and a superb band. Although it’s a pity that Slick cocked up the intro to All The Young Dudes, and then made exactly the same mistake when the riff was repeated at the end of the song! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    Philtre said:
    Earl Slick is a cool name. I wish I was called Phil Flash or something.
    His real name is Frank Madeloni.  Which still sounds pretty rock 'n' roll - with a hint of Goodfellas. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 294
    Great set from the great man and a superb band. Although it’s a pity that Slick cocked up the intro to All The Young Dudes, and then made exactly the same mistake when the riff was repeated at the end of the song! 
    Yes, I noticed it wasn’t right, too. That’s because I often cock it up in the same place myself :-).
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    edited June 2020
    Imagine being Bowie's guitar player and you have a cool name like Earl Slick and you stand at the side and just drop in on all the solos. Must be mind-blowing. The other guitarists do all the heavy lifting with all the arrangements and sounds and Earl rocks in with straight up rock lead tones. Love it.