Wow this Andertons video is just painful

What's Hot

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    Thanks for the heads up. I liked it.
    Lee is like me, "ok, that's hard and I need to practice it on my own". Pete is the real player style guy "how do you do it and what can I get from your way of doing it to improve my own?".
    I like how Ola went to the comments to post "Next video, Pete teaches me how to properly play guitar..."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't fathom anyone learning the guitar and never learning to palm mute. It's such a fundamental technique.
    The thing is, chugged palm-muting is different to, say palm-muting single notes - and it's even harder to get the hang of when you're not really into the sort of music that requires it. I think that's the main problem they had here, because neither of them were even aware of the different effects you can get by slightly varying the distance from the palm to the saddles.
    Also covered pick angle and tone - something I've known since I was about 15 and playing metal they were not so aware of. I think a lot of lighter, bluesy players feel that high gain = compresses all tone to sound the same, but that simply isn't true and small things in your technique can get you a huge, bassy rumble or a very tight, percussive sound from the same set up. 

I liked it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its not just the right hand either what the fuck was going on with their left hands!
    Ola showing that you can pick an F mid-gallop (so e-f-e) = shred-speed alternate picking for a riff. Slipknot do this quite a bit too. Hard! 
  • It sounds like 3 fellas trying to start flooded Lambrettas
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not as painful as their Rickenbacker 330/360 review - still the worst review I've seen of any guitar on You Tube. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    fandango said:

I did notice something that afflicts all of these Zoom/Skype/Teams sessions, and that’s where to look. If one looks at the camera, you miss the eye contact/visual cues from the others. If one looks at the vid feed screen, it appears as though one is distracted. And they are all at it.

Yes this is very true. We have to use Zoom for our work meetings now. I get very easily distracted and start messing with my phone. I'm told it looks like I'm looking down fiddling with my cock.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12603
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:

I did notice something that afflicts all of these Zoom/Skype/Teams sessions, and that’s where to look. If one looks at the camera, you miss the eye contact/visual cues from the others. If one looks at the vid feed screen, it appears as though one is distracted. And they are all at it.

Yes this is very true. We have to use Zoom for our work meetings now. I get very easily distracted and start messing with my phone. I'm told it looks like I'm looking down fiddling with my cock.
    I think there's a good reason why it looks like you are fiddling with your cock...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7399
    Its not just the right hand either what the fuck was going on with their left hands!
    Ola showing that you can pick an F mid-gallop (so e-f-e) = shred-speed alternate picking for a riff. Slipknot do this quite a bit too. Hard! 
    I didnt mean Ola's left hand I meant the total lack of muting and control of string noise. Ola is a beast, those other 2 were a shambles. Chappers for all his controversy wouldnt have struggled with this.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Jota said:

I like how Ola went to the comments to post "Next video, Pete teaches me how to properly play guitar..."
    That was pretty classy given what a shambles they were. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    I thought that was quite fun - just shows the breadth of what "guitar" means to different people.

I'm way closer to Ola than Pete  :grin: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    It’s good to see what I’ve taught Ola over the years is being passed on mind.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27845
    I thought it was fine. I'm surprise that Pete didn't already have significant skills, but as first attempts at doing any new technique, live on camera - and via bloody Zoom no less - I thought they all did a fine job. 

I can't think of many other youtubers who would do a "XXX learns to YYY" video until they're mastered it and could show that at the end.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I guess I consider it so fundamental that it really surprised me. Like wouldn't you find it odd if a metal guy couldn't say finger pick at least a little bit? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    Not surprised Lee struggled, its just not his bag, and he is a businessman that plays guitar over a dedicated guitar player like Ola and Pete.

Pete, a little, with his vast experience I would’ve thought he could have banged some out even if he has never played like that before. 

Maybe he was being nice not to show Lee up!

Either way, doesnt really matter I don’t think. I can’t play anything for shit Lol.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    I've been listening to metal and playing guitar (after a fashion) for 40 years and I never figured out how to do those kind of chugging riffs (… true, I wasn't trying very hard).  In fact I feel like I learned something from this clip.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The only wrong with it is its about 17:00 minutes too long .. I like Ola .. his vids using old tech to see if they're still good are worth a watch ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    I didn't think that was too bad tbh... bit long, as @Fretwired said but otherwise okay.

I did actually see it on Reddit (although I didn't watch it), and the chap who posted it was saying that as a beginner he really liked seeing established guitarists struggling wth something, and it was a good reminder that no matter how little you think of your own skills and how amazing you think other people are, they all probably have something that they're not so good at, so everyone should feel happy that they can do *anything* on the guitar, which I thought was a pretty cool attitude.

(I think Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai might be excepted though: I'm pretty sure there's nothing that they can't do well on the guitar)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    I guess I consider it so fundamental that it really surprised me. Like wouldn't you find it odd if a metal guy couldn't say finger pick at least a little bit? 

I think finger picking is quite a specific thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of metal guys who couldn't... me, for starters! :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    Unless you're Brent Hinds I wouldn't expect a metal guy to be good at fingerpicking!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited July 2020
    skunkwerx said:
    Not surprised Lee struggled, its just not his bag, and he is a businessman that plays guitar over a dedicated guitar player like Ola and Pete.

Pete, a little, with his vast experience I would’ve thought he could have banged some out even if he has never played like that before. 

Maybe he was being nice not to show Lee up!

Either way, doesnt really matter I don’t think. I can’t play anything for shit Lol.
    While I can do a couple of things to an above intermediate level I have so many holes in my game that my game looks like it wear a string vest. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom