Wow this Andertons video is just painful

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Not as painful as their Rickenbacker 330/360 review - still the worst review I've seen of any guitar on You Tube. 
    This the one @RonnieHotdogs ;
    https://youtu.be/HSrrzkcaLQ8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    It was a giggle..   it's just blokes having a giggle on YouTube..  live and let live
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    soma1975 said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Not surprised Lee struggled, its just not his bag, and he is a businessman that plays guitar over a dedicated guitar player like Ola and Pete.

Pete, a little, with his vast experience I would’ve thought he could have banged some out even if he has never played like that before. 

Maybe he was being nice not to show Lee up!

Either way, doesnt really matter I don’t think. I can’t play anything for shit Lol.
    While I can do a couple of things to an above intermediate level I have so many holes in my game that my game looks like it wears a string vest. 
    Haha mate, my game must look naked in comparison!

Or maybe one of those gimp style vests with gaping holes for the nips haha.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I didn't think that was too bad tbh... bit long, as @Fretwired said but otherwise okay.

I did actually see it on Reddit (although I didn't watch it), and the chap who posted it was saying that as a beginner he really liked seeing established guitarists struggling wth something, and it was a good reminder that no matter how little you think of your own skills and how amazing you think other people are, they all probably have something that they're not so good at, so everyone should feel happy that they can do *anything* on the guitar, which I thought was a pretty cool attitude.

(I think Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai might be excepted though: I'm pretty sure there's nothing that they can't do well on the guitar)
    Same. I saw it on Reddit and I thought it was encouraging to see experienced players struggling with something that seems basic just because it's not in their wheelhouse. I think it's helpful to see when you're having trouble getting something that might seem basic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't fathom anyone learning the guitar and never learning to palm mute. It's such a fundamental technique.
    The thing is, chugged palm-muting is different to, say palm-muting single notes - and it's even harder to get the hang of when you're not really into the sort of music that requires it. I think that's the main problem they had here, because neither of them were even aware of the different effects you can get by slightly varying the distance from the palm to the saddles.
    But I never said chugged palm muting. That's just you being aware of the kind of music I play ;)

But even I can mute a single string in a country, jazz, pop, reggae, or otherwise non-metal kind of music. It's a technique that's used across the board.

Bye!

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I probably worked out left and right hand muting before I played my first pentatonic shapes!

Playing along to Nevermind the Bollocks taught me muting AND Chuck Berry boogie.
  • duotone said:
    Not as painful as their Rickenbacker 330/360 review - still the worst review I've seen of any guitar on You Tube. 
    This the one @RonnieHotdogs ;
    https://youtu.be/HSrrzkcaLQ8
    yes......I won't sleep now 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited July 2020
    Olga - "Do you know an E minor chord"
    Pete's reaction is priceless

Lee - "I wanna get some elbow action in there"
    Er, OK, too much information. Thanks Lee.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Thought that was fantastic. What a nice/cool guy Ola is. Its great to see players (especially Pete), learning something with a similar level of fumbling and progression that most folk would see. 

As an aside, I think Lee’s a really cool dude. He’s been happy to document his considerable improvement over the years for all to see. I know he’s trying to sell guitars, but I think his example is really good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    gusman2x said:
    As an aside, I think Lee’s a really cool dude. He’s been happy to document his considerable improvement over the years for all to see. I know he’s trying to sell guitars, but I think his example is really good. 
    Good point.  Although having said that, I used to take consolation in the fact that there was someone "famous" out there who was no better on guitar than I am.  But he's left me far behind now.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422

(I think Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai might be excepted though: I'm pretty sure there's nothing that they can't do well on the guitar)
    Use a tone and/or volume control?  :)

I didn’t mind the video. I like chug and I like metal but I usually find on the rare occasion I get to pick up a guitar now that I just noodle blues.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10606
    If you like it your normally pretty good at it after a while. if you don't like it your normally crap at it. I would be crap at that fast muted stuff too because I hate the sound and never play like that. Cool video and I would like them to do more like stuff like that
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    gusman2x said:
    Thought that was fantastic. What a nice/cool guy Ola is. Its great to see players (especially Pete), learning something with a similar level of fumbling and progression that most folk would see. 

Me too I also thought there was a fair bit of humour/banter going on. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    skunkwerx said:
    Pete … I would’ve thought he could have banged some out even if he has never played like that before. 
    For me, the most obvious lesson to be learned from that video presentation is the need for practice.

Chug and gallop require disciplined hand coordination. It takes work to get good at these techniques and more work to stay good at them.

It is probably safe to say that Mr. Pete Honoré is not often hired to sight read chug/Djent parts. Consequently, he has no motivation to put in the hours to practicing that.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7399
    Nikc said:
    gusman2x said:

Me too I also thought there was a fair bit of humour/banter going on. 
    I dunno..kicking off with getting the name of his you tube channel wrong I thought seemed to irk him a bit at the beginning but then the tension kinda went away a bit after the master of puppets riff. The delay and subsequent editing out of the delay could have thrown things off though. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I can't fathom anyone learning the guitar and never learning to palm mute. It's such a fundamental technique.
    The thing is, chugged palm-muting is different to, say palm-muting single notes - and it's even harder to get the hang of when you're not really into the sort of music that requires it. I think that's the main problem they had here, because neither of them were even aware of the different effects you can get by slightly varying the distance from the palm to the saddles.
    But I never said chugged palm muting. That's just you being aware of the kind of music I play ;)

But even I can mute a single string in a country, jazz, pop, reggae, or otherwise non-metal kind of music. It's a technique that's used across the board.

I agree, it's kind of "staccato"?
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Beyond a naff discussion about hair care at the very start, I'm not sure I saw anything wrong with that video. I enjoyed it
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27106
    I can't fathom anyone learning the guitar and never learning to palm mute. It's such a fundamental technique.

Oops, missed this. Both Lee and Pete regularly use palm-muting when they're playing their normal styles; however, it's usually single-string stuff in a context where the subtlety of a 0.5mm shift towards/away from the saddles doesn't have a wildly different result, which is does in the context of what they're trying to achieve in this video. I actually think that lack of understanding - because neither of them really play with anything more than what I'd call "mid-gain" - was at the root of a lot of their issues in the video.

I was talking about it in reference to the video, though, which is all about teh chugz. The fact that you also do that is immaterial :D
    <space for hire>
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Yeah metal is its own thing \m/

I enjoyed that, it is illuminating to watch an experienced player playing in a new style
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader

Oops, missed this. Both Lee and Pete regularly use palm-muting when they're playing their normal styles; however, it's usually single-string stuff in a context where the subtlety of a 0.5mm shift towards/away from the saddles doesn't have a wildly different result, which is does in the context of what they're trying to achieve in this video. I actually think that lack of understanding - because neither of them really play with anything more than what I'd call "mid-gain" - was at the root of a lot of their issues in the video.

I was talking about it in reference to the video, though, which is all about teh chugz. The fact that you also do that is immaterial :D

I think muting technique is very genre specific.

I would imagine if Ola had a lesson from Cory Wong which is the exact opposite (super loose, strict alternate picking) then he would struggle, but it's just about what you are used to. 

The TPS video with Rabea is very similar. Neither Dan nor Mick knew about hand position affecting the sound of the chug and the kind of "chug crescendo" effect Rabea does by sliding his right hand as he picks was totally alien to them. Which is kind of obvious when you consider at lower gain you would just pick harder to do the same thing.