Some homemade guitars should be set on fire before anyone sees them ...

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355

You! Yes you over there ......... Put down the luthiery tools and step away from the wood. Step away from the wood Sir ..... This tazer finger is mighty itchy .... just step away from the wood ...

12reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Designed in Microsoft Paint, built in a room with no windows or lights.

It does have one redeeming design feature: the magic mushroom rear cover is actually very well executed!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    everyone's gotta start somewhere.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    He's incorporated some "interesting" design features regarding the handle and the strap button.
    How Stevie Wonder might make a guitar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    I quite like the backplate 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    edited July 2020
    DiscoStu said:

It does have one redeeming design feature: the two probably genuine MXR knobs which can be removed before the rest is incinerated
    FTFY

WezV said:
    True, and my own first attempt wasn't something I'd be very proud of now... but I'm still a bit sorry that I later chopped it up to re-purpose the usable parts.

It was a bit better than that one too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Beauty is so subjective.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1659
    Early previously unknown prototype Tele - no ?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27106
    axisus said:

You! Yes you over there ......... Put down the luthiery tools and step away from the wood. Step away from the wood Sir ..... This tazer finger is mighty itchy .... just step away from the wood ...

I'm not convinced any luthiery tools ever made contact here.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14842
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I would agree and most guys I know who have built a few guitars always say how much better 2nd, 3rd etc become

With that in mind how did Brian May and his dad get so much right first time, as far as they are concerned - I'm not sure if there was any mk1 or mk2 versions
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    With that in mind how did Brian May and his dad get so much right first time, as far as they are concerned - I'm not sure if there was any mk1 or mk2 versions
    Because they were very clever, skilled people and took their time to get it right. If I remember rightly it took at least a couple of years to build, and they researched every part before committing to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    WezV said:
    I would agree and most guys I know who have built a few guitars always say how much better 2nd, 3rd etc become

Because they both had a solid grounding in science/engineering/technology and researched, analysed, and planned what they were going to do rather than just eyeballing it?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14842
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Because they were very clever, skilled people and took their time to get it right. If I remember rightly it took at least a couple of years to build, and they researched every part before committing to it.
    JayGee said:
    WezV said:

Because they both had a solid grounding in science/engineering/technology and researched, analysed, and planned what they were going to do rather than just eyeballing it?

I've never read the full story of the guitar - I would have still expected some teething issues, say neck join, pitch angle, neck profile and fret work but if they 'nailed it' first time then all well and good - I've seen a few very early PRS Guitars at the factory and you can see 'many issues' 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    Does it play like butter cause it looks like it finished in the stuff.  LOL

But hey its a guitar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Hey Steve Vai, how come you didn't think of fixing a suitcase handle to the side of the guitar like this guy instead of putting a big hole through the body, huh? Not so clever now, are you!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Are we going to just sit here and ignore the BMW sofa cushion?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    I saw this on 60 Cycle Hum, as I said there, I think it looks like it's out of Ren & Stimpy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    The handle would really upset my right tit whilst sitting I think.... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7134
    tFB Trader
    The handle is a *great* idea, I don't know why all guitars don't have a carrying handle.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i think you are all being unfair, until youve heard or played it you wont know what you are missing.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    ICBM said:
    JayGee said:
    WezV said:

I've never read the full story of the guitar - I would have still expected some teething issues, say neck join, pitch angle, neck profile and fret work but if they 'nailed it' first time then all well and good - I've seen a few very early PRS Guitars at the factory and you can see 'many issues' 
    Its well worth reading the book - it was meticulously planned, but some bits did still go through a few versions before they settled on the final design