New Taylor Swift - with Bon Iver and a Dessner

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
Folklore, out at midnight EST, apparently. Low key release with heavy involvement from Justin Vernon and Arron Dessner from The National.  I’m low-key excited as Vernon has basically never released anything remotely bad. 

And at the very least it should be something mrsF and I are equally interested in
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 845
    I only really clocked how good a songwriter Taylor Swift is thanks to the Ryan Adams album so this has me surprised and intrigued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    oh_pollo said:
    I only really clocked how good a songwriter Taylor Swift is thanks to the Ryan Adams album so this has me surprised and intrigued.
    Yup. I’m not a big fan of the production on her last couple of records in particular, but she’s has a great ear for melody. 

Miles better pop music than basically everyone else out together. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    Ooo super excited for this.

Anyone who thinks Taylor Swift is just a pop princess without substance give this a watch:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Very interesting, I think Lover is a cracking album. You can’t fault her work ethic either - most celebs spent lockdown showing off their gardens, or moaning. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Love a bit of Swifty. So thanks for the heads up. 
    tFB Trader
    Listening to it now.

It's very good.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    Listening to it now.

It's very good.
    Me too; I'm very pleasantly surprised by it. Think it'll be a grower.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    Its very good, very similar in vibe to the amazing Norman fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I must admit I've never given her stuff a chance, but that's pretty good, not what I expected at all /\
    I must admit I've never given her stuff a chance, but that's pretty good, not what I expected at all /\
    Oh shes ace. 1989 is a hell of an album! As was the Ryan Adams cover album until he got caught showing his junk to kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    edited July 2020
    Loved 1989 but her other albums since I haven’t enjoyed as much.  Looking forward to giving this a blast on Spotify over the weekend.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    1989 was great, an instant hit in our house. Her “darker” Reputation album, while not so instantly accessible, has become by far my favourite of hers. Pained artists often write the best stuff!

This latest one is good, stripped back and lower key. Will take a few more listens. 

I have a hall pass for TS, my chances look slim but at least she seems to have a taste for Brits!

tFB Trader
    I've listened to this 3 times now.

Call me lame but I think it's my album of 2020 so far.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I prefer the Phoebe Bridges record. I think this is good, but has too many vocal hooks that feel lifted from other Swift records and that annoys me somehow. Still a very good album. 

I am very much hoping the next few years lead to a push for stronger songwriting as the mid-late 90s becomes cool again. Stuff like this definitely can’t hurt in that regard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I prefer the Phoebe Bridges record. I think this is good, but has too many vocal hooks that feel lifted from other Swift records and that annoys me somehow. Still a very good album. 

I am very much hoping the next few years lead to a push for stronger songwriting as the mid-late 90s becomes cool again. Stuff like this definitely can’t hurt in that regard.

I must say the Phoebe Bridgers album bored the piss out of me along with every other female singer songwriter album in the guardian top 100 of 2019 with the exception of Norman Fucking Rockwell which is superb.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10420
    I've been listening to it tonight, really good. Still a pop production with the mixed in dirty loops and such but a good dark country vibe. She's a superb artist and just gets better with age
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I need to try Norman fucking rockwell again. But I suspect I’ll never get over the fact that it’s not born to die. 

Im really enjoying the 1st listen of folklore. I ADORED 1989, so I like that this is less poppy, so I don’t need to draw musical/production comparisons. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Only had one spin so far, but I like it. The Track with Bon Iver guesting is the standout thus far 
    gusman2x said:
    I need to try Norman fucking rockwell again. But I suspect I’ll never get over the fact that it’s not born to die. 

Im really enjoying the 1st listen of folklore. I ADORED 1989, so I like that this is less poppy, so I don’t need to draw musical/production comparisons. 
    Norman Fucking Rockwell was my album of 2019. Utterly magnificent, and this new TS record is similar, but doesn't have it.