Three basic sounds?

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
edited June 2014 in FX
Ok. Like a few of you I play in rehearsal rooms where you don't know what amp you will get from week to week.

With this in mind all I realistically expect is enough clean headroom to compete with drums and use pedals for everything.

The problem is I'm a lazy fucker and can't be arsed with a massive pedal board.

So what would you use to achieve these basics:

Overdriven rhythm
Lead boost
Solo boost

There's two guitars so I'm dropping in and out of rhythm and lead depending on the song so I have to try and keep volumes consistent.

Stick a Wah and a tuner in and I'm done. Maybe a delay...

Currently using an ME-50 with another OD pedal but open to suggestions.

Simpler the better!

Cheers

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I use a Timmy and a Zen drive clone, Timmy does light o/d, Zen does a nice thick drive, both together for the lead!

But then I do run my amps on the hot side :)

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Im using the line6 m5. You ciuld hook up a midi mouse to switch the presets.I use mine to get those exact sounds usually through solid state clean channels
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    One good drive pedal (I like the Xotic BB) and use your guitar volume for different levels of gain
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    edited June 2014
    I'm a big fan of the Award-Session JD10 . They're discontinued but come up pretty regularly second hand for £50 - £100.

It's a fully 'preamp' style pedal, full 3-band eq, clean-to-heavy distiotion. Has switchable speaker emulation for direct-to-desk use as well. It's really good at edge of break-up and low gain settings (cleans up well on the guitar's volume pot) and can be driven by other boosts/overdrives.

I have one on my board set just starting to break up, with clean boost, overdrive and distortion set up in front for varied levels and flavours of dirt in different combinations.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Forgot I still have one of those, beaten up looking but still working fine. I used to use it as my 'amp' for 2 piece work a while back - great unit
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Before I bought the zenamp to cover rehearsals I used a mini board with a dg stomp +vol & wah (still in my bag as a backup)

For rehearsing if you're more concerned with arrangements and a quick setup then I think a cheap multi might serve you better than pedals or something like the tech21 tri-ac.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    I used to use the clean from the rehearsal room amp and a Zvex Distortron as a dirty Marshall. It colours whatever you plug it into. Maybe a BOR instead as that would give you boost as well.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    citizen68;279037" said:
    One good drive pedal (I like the Xotic BB) and use your guitar volume for different levels of gain
    I've never been fleet fingered enough to do that mid song! And if there's a change of pickup in there as well -forget it!

Plus with two guitars it's important to me to get the vols just right or someone is drowned out in the mix.

Am I the only one who finds it difficult?!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

Iamnobody said:
    citizen68;279037" said:
    Plus with two guitars it's important to me to get the vols just right or someone is drowned out in the mix.

most guitarists arent that considerate.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    citizen68;279037" said:
    I've never been fleet fingered enough to do that mid song! And if there's a change of pickup in there as well -forget it!

This is why I always like to use a volume pedal these days - just make sure you have a bit more volume than you need on the amp and then reign it back to what is needed with the volume pedal. You can even use a volume pedal for your lead/rhythm changes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Why not use your own rig all the time ???
    Surely its better to get used to your rig inside and out in case you need to fault find plus you know your tone better when its time to gig it ?
    wolf5150;279121" said:
    Why not use your own rig all the time ???
    Surely its better to get used to your rig inside and out in case you need to fault find plus you know your tone better when its time to gig it ?
    There is no rig! Sold it after my original band disbanded.

We just play for fun now - and dragging a full setup out every week wouldn't be much fun!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    A good TS/SD-1-type overdrive into a good Rat/DS-1-type distortion.

Distortion for crunch, overdrive for lead, both for solo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM;279148" said:

I like the idea of this and it would be easy to engage both pedals if two 'Boss' type pedals where next to each other.

I've got a TS9 and Amazon have Digitech pedals for £22 - would you recommend their Grunge or Screaming Blues pedal at all?

Bearing in mind I'm not too fussy!

Cheers
    The Screaming Blues is more like a BD-2. The Hothead is similar to a DS-1.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    steamabacus;279244" said:
    The Screaming Blues is more like a BD-2. The Hothead is similar to a DS-1.
    And both are great at those tones IMO. What style of music are you playing?

We play quite a varied mix. But broadly pop/indie through to 60's Brit Blues.

Nothing I would class as heavy.

Another thought crossed my mind though:

http://www.hotroxuk.com/tech-21-sansamp-fly-rig-5-mini-multi-effects.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CNTTpIqenb8CFSLmwgodi7YAzg

It's got the simplicity I'm looking for...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    I would say get a jekyll and Hyde as a one box solution

It's a shred master on one channel which will get you a chunky rock rhythm and a ts on the other which will do blues lead on its own and shred meltdown when stacked

They usually cost beans on eBay etc and they are well made.

If you want to do it with two pedals you can't go wrong with a riot or distortron being goosed by a badass od
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Iamnobody said:
    ICBM;279148" said:

I like the idea of this and it would be easy to engage both pedals if two 'Boss' type pedals where next to each other.

I've got a TS9 and Amazon have Digitech pedals for £22 - would you recommend their Grunge or Screaming Blues pedal at all?

Bearing in mind I'm not too fussy!

Cheers
    The screaming blues sure, the grunge is a joke.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Just noticed the Hardwire Overdrive is £46 on Amazon. That is a straight up bargain right there. 

Would be an awesome pick for an OD. 

I was also thinking of suggesting the Marshall Guv'nor+ or Jackhammer. Both are really great pedals with loads of EQ and can be had for under £20 on Ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom