Three basic sounds?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    Dave_Mc said:
    I read somewhere (might be bs) that the diodes in the bd2 (and I'm guessing the screamin blues too since it's pretty much identical apart from the bass control) don't actually clip the signal, they're there as limiters for some of the other components... yeah or no? Not that it matters, just interested to know. :))
    I don't know, I'll need to get one and apply the oscilloscope :). (Which is how I found what the ones in the Blackstar pedals do, as you know!)

Brian Wampler seems to think they do clip the signal though, in this article - http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/boss-bd-2-mods-1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    I see what the problem is >:D<

I think that's the article I read before... apparently I didn't actually read it so much as skim it (and skim it really, really badly :)) ). I saw the bit on the second page where it says D1 and D3 don't clip much, and I didn't think to check the schematic or read the rest of the article to realise that he said the other diodes do clip. Woops. :))
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    why not get a HT Dual or something of that ilk like lovepedal amp 11 or a radial bone plus an EP boost for your solos
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited June 2014
    Evening all thanks for all the great answers, suggestions and knowledge.

I reckon I'm going to go for the Magnus.

I'll give it a couple if weeks and see if a used one crops up first though.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Evening all thanks for all the great answers, suggestions and knowledge.

I reckon I'm going to go for the Magnus.

I'll give it a couple if weeks and see if a used on crops up first though.
    I'd jump all over that B-Stock one on Thomann. 

I don't think I've ever seen one SH on here.
    edited June 2014
    Used ones have gone on Reverb and EBay in the USA for 200 dollars. That's quite a saving even with shipping and fees! Might be worth waiting to see for a week it two.

https://reverb.com/item/182624-t-rex-magnus-2013-white
  • photekphotek Frets: 1471
    I used to do the stacking thing like a fair few on here do but I felt individual pedals specifically for each job were better so I got one of these:

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/dual-ab-looper/

I have my crunch pedal in loop A and my lead pedal in loop B then just click the A/B button to swap between them. I like to set them the same volume so I have 2 usable driven sounds then have a boost pedal further downstream for my leads. Works a treat.

You can click the bypass button to neither as well.
  • Iamnobody said:
    We play quite a varied mix. But broadly pop/indie through to 60's Brit Blues.

Nothing I would class as heavy.

Another thought crossed my mind though:

http://www.hotroxuk.com/tech-21-sansamp-fly-rig-5-mini-multi-effects.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CNTTpIqenb8CFSLmwgodi7YAzg

It's got the simplicity I'm looking for...
    The flyrig looks fantastic and would certainly do everything you wanted, plus the sansamp section would give you a more reproducible tone on different amps.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 621
    Hardwire Overdrive and RAT FTW!
    littlethoughts;280908" said:
    Iamnobody said:

We play quite a varied mix. But broadly pop/indie through to 60's Brit Blues.

Nothing I would class as heavy.

Another thought crossed my mind though:

http://www.hotroxuk.com/tech-21-sansamp-fly-rig-5-mini-multi-effects.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CNTTpIqenb8CFSLmwgodi7YAzg

It's got the simplicity I'm looking for...

The flyrig looks fantastic and would certainly do everything you wanted, plus the sansamp section would give you a more reproducible tone on different amps.
    Yes. It's definitely plan B. The Magnus just looks a bit more robust and has the added convenience of a tuner. (Although it's not a particularly good one!)
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/triacp.html

one of these?  I've also been a happy Jeckyl & Hyde user and would recommend one without hesitation too.  T-Rex spin doctors look lots of fun too

Just to further muddy the waters I think the ME-80 can do what I need in manual mode and probably the GT-100.

Although the GT is probably a bit OTT for my needs. Hmmm more thinking to do on this one!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    ...take a BOSS ME-5.... all posts covered and true vintage Boss pedal tones to boot!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I keep a couple extra just for guest players.

that being said, it sounds as though your "3 basic tones" may be 3 basic sounds (in that maybe you use delay or reverb, etc) in which case some form of multi may serve you better.

the tri-ac though I think was a very well thought out unit, it's for non-programmers...you adjust the controls the way you like it, then save the preset much like the station memory on a car stereo...hold the desired button for a couple of seconds til the light flashes.

compact, battery operatable (one feature lacking that the newer sansamps have...speaker sim defeat switch).

Thanks for all the advice. A quick update; I went for the T-Rex SoulMate.

Has everything I need with the bonus of an inbuilt tuner and the ability to power any other pedals should I need to - modulation or Wah for example.

Only had a quick play with it but my first impression is it is exactly what I was looking for. Relatively compact, a decent range of options and even has its own wee carry bag.

Expensive maybe but I'll take that for the convenience and simplicity of an all in one unit.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_soul_mate.htm

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    That Trex soul mate looks pretty good If it had a phaser instead of reverb I would be having one. Just bought a Digitech Blues Screamer which works great with the Jet City amp.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez;330953" said:
    That Trex soul mate looks pretty good If it had a phaser instead of reverb I would be having one. Just bought a Digitech Blues Screamer which works great with the Jet City amp.
    I guess the configuration they went with is the basic toolkit that 'most' players might want. For example I've never used a phaser...

I'm thinking eventually I might add in something like a line6 M5 to the setup for one off/less used effects. But even that's taking away some of the simplicity I wanted.