Three basic sounds?

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    That Fly Rig 5 is quite appealing though for a one box solution with the added bonus of reverb and delay.

Been looking at some demos on YouTube.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    What sort of budget are you talking about?

The Fly Rig looks awesome, but it's fairly pricey. 

Do us a review if you get one!
    edited June 2014
    Without sounding like a cock I don't have a budget as such - so could stretch to the Fly Rig no problem.

However I do try and shop sensibly and relative to my needs where I can so...

A twenty quid pedal off amazon and my existing kit might do the trick.

I've always got the option of selling existing items to fund other purchases.

My enthusiasm outweighs my talent tenfold or more! I'm not sure id be qualified to give an insightful review.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    I am pretty useless when it comes to FX units and tend to use a OD pedal, but have always wanted more. My solution was the Zoom G3X you can set it to be used like 3 pedals with on off switches, with a volume pedal. 
    I find that I like the odd effect for just one song, so I tend to have a Fuzz box on one, OD on another then a time based effect on 3rd, I copy it about 3-4 times so I have same volume jumps between OD etc then alter a delay for a Phaser or a tremolo what ever is actually needed. 
    Even someone like me can actually program it. 
    It's as simple as using individual pedals, but with ability to change a pedal when you want. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited June 2014
    monquixote;279291" said:
    I would say get a jekyll and Hyde as a one box solution

It's a shred master on one channel which will get you a chunky rock rhythm and a ts on the other which will do blues lead on its own and shred meltdown when stacked

They usually cost beans on eBay etc and they are well made.

If you want to do it with two pedals you can't go wrong with a riot or distortron being goosed by a badass od
    This is a great answer. The newer ones have big switches that are super reliable - more like a boss, rather than being mechanical. The tubescreamer is modded, too - more volume, more gain, more usable tone control, and a bass boost which helps even it out and works well into a clean amp.

Also, I like the Digitech hot head - from memory, I think I preferred it to a ds-1, and I quite like the ds-1 into a dirty amp. The grunge always struck me as being the best of the bunch that's not a bad monkey though (a pedal everyone should have - it's bloody brilliant).
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Without sounding like a cock I don't have a budget as such - so could stretch to the Fly Rig no problem.

My enthusiasm outweighs my talent tenfold or more! I'm not sure id be qualified to give an insightful review.
    If you're not on a total shoestring budget that expands the options a little bit. 

What sort of songs are you doing?
  • monquixote;279322" said:
    Just noticed the Hardwire Overdrive is £46 on Amazon. That is a straight up bargain right there. 

Would be an awesome pick for an OD. 

I was also thinking of suggesting the Marshall Guv'nor+ or Jackhammer. Both are really great pedals with loads of EQ and can be had for under £20 on Ebay.
    And this one.

Monq is wise.
    monquixote;279357" said:
    Iamnobody said:

If you're not on a total shoestring budget that expands the options a little bit. 

What sort of songs are you doing?
    A fair bit of Weller, Cream, Who & 60's stuff. Tame Impala, BRMC, Neil Young, Suede, and others - we've even had a crack at How Soon is Now!

That's the beauty of playing for yourselves and not having to put a setlist together that others might want to hear.
    tFB Trader
    Hmm with that set list I'd be thinking about some fairly low gain stuff. 

The Hardwire OD is going to do you well as is the Bad Monkey. The Digitech Grunge is exactly what you don't want.

If you don't mind splashing a few quid. This is the loveliest low gain OD I've ever tried and is officially the forums favorite pedal. Very Tweedy and perfect for Weller / Neil Young

This is full of gutsy JTM tone (and I think Photek might be selling one)

This is proper lovely for singing sustain filled lead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    The Screaming Blues is more like a BD-2. The Hothead is similar to a DS-1.
    +1

the bad monkey is ts-ish. would do at a pinch.
    edited June 2014
    The more I think about it one box of tricks that does it all (but not in a multi-fx way because I could never be bothered to programme it and mess about with patches and banks etc).

I'm not too precious on tone so as long as they are decent basic sounds I reckon I'd be happy. Is this the one!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_soul_mate.htm

It's a lot more expensive than adding a digitech to my current setup! But does away with Velcro, boards, patch cables daisy chaining power supplies etc.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_soul_mate.htm

If I sold every pedal I own I could probably pay for it without dipping into any savings...

Edit: This is even cheaper:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_magnus_b_stock.htm

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    The Digitech pedals all have a speaker-emulated 'mixer' output too, so they're usable in a real pinch if the only available amp is the PA, a keyboard amp or a bass amp with a tweeter.

Been there, done that - Mesa V-Twin into a Behringer keyboard combo. Actually sounded pretty good!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    You could get a Magnus instead if you are going to run it into the front of a clean amp (soul mate can be 4 cabled)

Thoman have a B Stock one for £270

You could get a Magnus instead if you are going to run it into the front of a clean amp (soul mate can be 4 cabled)

Thoman have a B Stock one for £270

Just spotted it! Looks ideal. Right; time to look at some more youtube vids and reviews...
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    Tube Factor.
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Sounds like you're going a different route now, but for a two pedal setup I'd be happy with my treble booster (north effects, with 3 switchable boost levels) into a basic audio futureman od/fuzz. Loads of sounds available between those two. And as mentioned a Rat would be good for your situation, I've found them very consistent sounding across the various amps rehearsal rooms throw at you.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Iamnobody;279242" said:
    [quote="ICBM;279148"]A good TS/SD-1-type overdrive into a good Rat/DS-1-type distortion.

Distortion for crunch, overdrive for lead, both for solo.
    I like the idea of this and it would be easy to engage both pedals if two 'Boss' type pedals where next to each other.

I've got a TS9 and Amazon have Digitech pedals for £22 - would you recommend their Grunge or Screaming Blues pedal at all?

Bearing in mind I'm not too fussy!

Cheers[/quote]

I bought the Bad Monkey and the Screamin Blues because they were so cheap.

The BM is great.

The SB is billed as an overdrive/ distortion. Past about 2 o clock on the drive control it gets heavier. Covers a wider range of dirt sounds than the BM but not as smooth or sweet to my ears. Can get a little fizzy maxed out too, so needs tone controls adjusted to taste, but nothing I can't live with.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    edited June 2014

You could also try a dual pedal like JHS Sweet tea or Wampler Dual Fusion with a Mess tone burst ot TC spark after (or before)...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    edited June 2014
    Skarloey said:
    I bought the Bad Monkey and the Screamin Blues because they were so cheap.

The BM is great.

The SB is billed as an overdrive/ distortion. Past about 2 o clock on the drive control it gets heavier. Covers a wider range of dirt sounds than the BM but not as smooth or sweet to my ears. Can get a little fizzy maxed out too, so needs tone controls adjusted to taste, but nothing I can't live with.
    Essentially the Bad Monkey is a Tube Screamer/Boss SD-1-type overdrive (even though its apparently based more closely on an earlier DOD, it's still the same basic feedback-loop-diode circuit), the Screaming Blues is a Boss Blues Driver equivalent (discrete transistor gain/diode clipping) and the Hot Head is a Boss DS-1 equivalent (IC gain, diode clipping), but they all have the benefit of a two-band EQ, the Mixer output and are cheaper.

Their only real drawback is that the pots seem a bit prone to getting damaged compared to the Boss equivalents - they're directly PCB-mounted with no panel nut, so if they get bashed or stood on they can go erratic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    ^ I read somewhere (might be bs) that the diodes in the bd2 (and I'm guessing the screamin blues too since it's pretty much identical apart from the bass control) don't actually clip the signal, they're there as limiters for some of the other components... yeah or no? Not that it matters, just interested to know. :))

^^^ I use the screamin blues as a transparent od/boost- i prefer my dano timmy clone, but the screamin blues gets pretty close and is cheap and easily available (as you said, only real problem is the highs can be a little harsh). It does get heavier, as you said, if you crank the gain knob but I don't really do that... it does have a wider range than a ts-type pedal, though.