Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Stratocaster IS the most versatile guitar...

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
edited August 2020 in Guitar
... and the only guitar worth owning.

discuss.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    Agreed 100%.

It's just better than all the other shit ones. Men will want to be you. Women will want to be with you. Some men will want to be with you. Trans people will have conflicted opinions on you but mostly positive. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Ask a non-musician to draw an electric guitar, and they'll produce something that looks at least vaguely like a Strat, therefore it's the only electric guitar anyone needs.

Unless they draw a Flying V...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head, for all the reasons I can't play strats anymore. 

Crappy sounds in positions 2 and 4
    Wobbly bridge 
    Forces you to play Hendrix, SRV etc licks all day

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Loses one point for the belly cut and another for not being a Telecaster.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 springs, deck the trem, freeway switch and Jeff Healey will sort all of the above.

Or play a Tele.

A Telecaster being the working man's guitar is like manly tattoos and beards on baristas. It's been co-opted by the weedy and rubbish. 

A Strat is unashamedly sci-fi and ironically that makes it less of a posing statement than the chopping board with an ashtray guitar.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Strats are boring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10235
    Only if it's modded. I take a tele and a Strat when I'm out. The tele does 90% of the stuff I want it to do, I get out the Strat when I'm playing a real strat track, like a chillis number for example.

I saw the post that said position 2 & 4 are rubbish. Suggest you discuss that with a certain Mr Knopfler  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd take a superstrat over an actual Strat any day of the week...

*pulls on flame-proof suit*
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • *heads to shed to get flame-thrower*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Between my two strats, one with humbuckers, one normal, I get any electric guitar sound I ever want.

Wouldn't say either alone were this special "versatile" thing though. I don't think any guitar can do it all by itself, they're different. One might cover everything you ever want to play. E.g. If you were only a funk player a Strat with sss might be all you need. A metal head might only ever need humbuckers.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 678
    All the thin and anaemic sounds you could ever want in one guitar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    The problem with other guitars is they aren’t enough like strats. 

Although lately I’m pretty keen on jags....
  • I do think if I could only own one guitar it would have to be a Strat. If there's anything you want to do but can't on a Strat, it's either not set up properly or you don't know what you're doing (or it's a song that absolutely must have 24 frets).
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    I'd take a superstrat over an actual Strat any day of the week...

A Superstrat is still  a Strat. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    I do think if I could only own one guitar it would have to be a Strat. If there's anything you want to do but can't on a Strat, it's either not set up properly or you don't know what you're doing (or it's a song that absolutely must have 24 frets).
    Or it doesn't have the right pickups. There's only so much you can do with EQ.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My strat has been modded to HSS configuration, and I can pretty much play most styles on it. In fact I've stopped using a Les Paul for pop punk stuff as the JB humbucker in the Strat covers all the tones I need and the cleans are nicer on a neck single coil. So if its the only guitar I have to hand I will use that over a Les Paul.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The beauty of a Strat is the design - ergonomically it's perfect, it looks good and is easy to play. It's also easy and cheap to make your own via upgrades to the bridge, pickups and switching options. They are also as tough as old boots and virtually impossible to break (unless you're Pete Townsend).

My go-to guitar is a US Strat.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Don't believe the hype. It's just another guitar made by another guitar making company hyped to within an inch (centimetre) of its life. The ubiquitous (and almost insidious) effect of the hyper marketing of Fender is disturbing. When GAK removed the Les Paul and put up a Strat I knew there was trouble. 

Play it, don't play it. Play something else, don't play something else. Make a choice based on your love/needs/individuality etc

Invest time in enabling the sounds in your own head to come out. If you're worried how cool it looks, imagine you and your audience are blind. Then practise more. 

Rant over. 

For now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    soma1975 said:
    I'd take a superstrat over an actual Strat any day of the week...

A Superstrat is still  a Strat. 
    Yeah... But it's super (goes to 11 I reckon)