Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Stratocaster IS the most versatile guitar...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBM said:
    I do think if I could only own one guitar it would have to be a Strat. If there's anything you want to do but can't on a Strat, it's either not set up properly or you don't know what you're doing (or it's a song that absolutely must have 24 frets).
    Or it doesn't have the right pickups. There's only so much you can do with EQ.
    Nah, I said anything you can't do, not any sound that you can't nail 100%. You can get a credible jazz, stoner rock, or metal sound from a vintage Strat if you play it right and have the right amp/pedals available, even if it wouldn't be the first choice of instrument. I really don't buy that there's any genre that can't be done well on an SSS Strat.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475

Nah, I said anything you can't do, not any sound that you can't nail 100%. You can get a credible jazz, stoner rock, or metal sound from a vintage Strat if you play it right and have the right amp/pedals available, even if it wouldn't be the first choice of instrument. I really don't buy that there's any genre that can't be done well on an SSS Strat.
    You can’t even get close to a proper high-gain humbucker tone out of a normal Strat bridge pickup. If you think you can then you have a very different idea of what a high-gain humbucker tone is than I do...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    ICBM said:

You can’t even get close to a proper high-gain humbucker tone out of a normal Strat bridge pickup. If you think you can then you have a very different idea of what a high-gain humbucker tone is than I do...
    True, but once you go past a certain level of distortion, it can be very difficult to tell guitars apart - even a Strat and a Les Paul!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    And yet Strats have been used in heavy rock since day one. They can certainly cover the ground sonically. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited September 2020
    It can't be the most versatile, it doesn't have enough notes available.

A 9 string fan-fret has better intonation and more notes available, which means more music can be played across all styles, and thus, a 9 string fan-fret is more versatile than a strat. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    ICBM said:

In an ideal world I would take a selection of guitars and use the most suitable. However i generally get to take one guitar maybe two. If the application was mostly high gain humbucker sounds i would take a Les Paul.if it were mostly songs suited to a strat I'd fake high gain with a fuzz.

BTW I've wisdomed your post.