Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Stratocaster IS the most versatile guitar...

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10588
    Only with some higher output pickups that allow it to be used for anything except super clean stuff and blues from 50 years ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    I assume you mean a super strat? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Fretwired said:
    The beauty of a Strat is the design - ergonomically it's perfect, it looks good and is easy to play. It's also easy and cheap to make your own via upgrades to the bridge, pickups and switching options. They are also as tough as old boots and virtually impossible to break (unless you're Pete Townsend).
    It really is a work of genius. It's not only all that, the vibrato is mechanically reliable while being effective, and simple and cheap to manufacture - in fact the whole thing is ideal for mass production.

I do much prefer a single tone control and the volume control further away from the strings, but given the modular nature of it, that's extremely easy to achieve if you want just by replacing the pickguard.

I wouldn't say it's perfect or that other guitar designs aren't worthwhile, but of all of the classics the Strat is the closest to 'the one to rule them all'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    If I had to have only one guitar, my heart says Strat... but my head says Tele with Bigsby...
    edited August 2020
    I assume you mean a super strat? 
    Nah. I don't like super strats, they're too pointy in general for me. I like the colours and styling of traditional Strats, but for my general playing and live band stuff I always swap the pickups out for single coil humbuckers or high output single coils to retain the look.

I have got a 64 Strat but if I were playing a gig I wouldn't really use it anymore because the pickups go to mush at anything that isn't low gain. I have an Elite Strat from 2014 or something and a Custom Shop 59 Reissue, which both now have higher output pickups. The CS Strat came with Josephine pickups too, but as I said, they go mushy.

My main is a Musicman Albert Lee, so I guess that's essentially a Strat, and I also have a Musicman JP6 that is basically a Super Strat, but it's not pointy ;)
  • I was thinking super strat actually. HSH with coil splits on both neck and middle and some sort of blend knob and you have just about any sound you'd ever need.

That's why I want a super strat anyway.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    If I ever have a strat with singlecoils (not very likely tbh) I would replace the switch with a 3 way so there's absolutely no risk of getting positions 2&4. Can't stand that sound, it's nails on a chalkboard and totally useless for me. 
  • soma1975 said:
    I'd take a superstrat over an actual Strat any day of the week...

*pulls on flame-proof suit*
    A Superstrat is still  a Strat. 

I'm pretty sure Fender would disagree with that if I started making superstrats and putting "Strat" on the headstock.

I do see your point though :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    If I wanted one guitar I'd buy a PRS Custom or two. But I dont. I have a Strat when I want to sound like I'm playing a Strat. I've also got a Les Paul, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and an ES125. They all do what they do and I mix and match. I might get a Telecaster at some point but I might not. 

I can play any of my guitars and make them work for any song but I like having the right guitar for the right sound. 
    soma1975 said:

I'm pretty sure Fender would disagree with that if I started making superstrats and putting "Strat" on the headstock.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-limited-edition-hm-strat-rosewood-fingerboard-ice-blue/933566?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInaut4Pe96wIVnIBQBh2wmADwEAQYASABEgICAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They're doing it, why not us???!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    edited August 2020

Beat me to it :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Beat me to it :)

I think that looks awesome too! 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    ICBM said:
    Ask a non-musician to draw an electric guitar, and they'll produce something that looks at least vaguely like a Strat, therefore it's the only electric guitar anyone needs.

Unless they draw a Flying V...
    Well I have a flying V with 3 P90s, which suggests I have the actual perfect guitar.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    soma1975 said:

The Fender HM Strat was my first ever Fender and my first guitar with a (schaller) Floyd Rose. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-limited-edition-hm-strat-rosewood-fingerboard-ice-blue/933566?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInaut4Pe96wIVnIBQBh2wmADwEAQYASABEgICAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Didn't someone get sued by Fender for putting "for that original Stratocaster sound" on their headstocks?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Definitely the most versatile guitar, I used HSS Strats and Deluxe Strats for a long time until acquiring a pair of Suhr Classic S guitars that takes it to another level. 

My personal Strat preferences are (post Deluxe Strat and Suhr)
    HSS pickup setup 
    Sculpted neck heel
    Locking machine heads
    Cold rolled steel trem block
    No roller nut, standard bone or tusq
    Tone control on bridge pickup only, neck & middle wide open (or via no load pot)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    HSS strat. Most versatile.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The Fender Strat range allows you can go from country twang with single coils, blues, and rock with an HSS configuration to metal mayhem with some EMG pickups.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Most guitars can be used for any sort of music.

I used a Fender Strat exclusively for 25 years. Mine played like a pig. Only kept it for its sound. These days I have a non Fender 'Strat' (uk build) and non Fender 'Tele' (Japan build) because I find them easier to use.

I only ever bring a single guitar to a gig. Its usually used for Soul, Ska and Rock. Sometimes its used for Blues, Latin, Jazz, Country and occasionaly a tad Metal also. One guitar can do all of these. It doesnt much matter which one I bring out of 8 'workers'.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    If I could have one guitar it would easily be a Strat. Who cares about versatility,