Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More Nostalgia - Guitarist Magazine Feb1995

What's Hot

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Big ads for Brandoni - guitar parts n bodies -
    Still going!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    jdgm said:
    Still going!

But when was it last updated?  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    WezV said:
    jdgm said:
    Still going!

But when was it last updated?  

February 1995...

I remember having their catalogues, but surprisingly (for me, at the time) I didn't ever buy anything.  Fascinating collection of stuff they had, I can't think of anywhere else quite like it.  Except perhaps @HarrySeven's shed.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    guitars4you said:
    Didn't Flying Pig come out of Tempo ???? - Somehow recall a connection
    Yes, I think they were connected - or maybe I just always get the two mixed up.  I bought a Strat Plus Deluxe (from one or other of them!) around 1989 and the shop owner/manager actually drove to my house and delivered it personally!
    Just found out Geoff baker was Tempo and Flying Pig
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    Collings said:

Ref Redwing - I had a couple in stock back in the day - Pick-ups were hand built in the UK - Think from the SW area but can't recall name - Think he died a few years ago 
    Pickups were David White on some I believe. Eggle also used David white pickups and the LA Classic 22 model. Very well regarded pickups. You are correct David passed away a few years ago.
    Now you mention it then yes I recall Dave White p/ups - Thanks
  • impmann said:
    Monkey Biz Music... more accurately put out of business by Si and Terry by starting PMT in direct competition.

I used to work at the Bexleyheath store that morphed into Trademart Music after Monkey Biz went belly up.
    Haha you prob sold me my first guitar! Were you there before or after they moved into the old fiat garage?
  • Dodge said:
    Vintage-GUITARIST-MAGAZINE-February-1995-VOX-Mark-Knopfler-INXS-Van-Halon-ART thumbnail 1

9 pages of the small classified ads in the rear of the mag - Including my former business Mark Hopkin Guitar Gallery in Derby - I had a used Ricky 330/12 listed at £899 and a used/1976 LP Deluxe listed at £850
    I remember that very magazine.

That might have been around the time I bought a Musicman Silhouette from you, although it might have been a smidge later.

I remember driving up to Derby in the snow and nearly crashing on the motorway. Bought the guitar though. It was a light blue burst, maple neck and fixed bridge. Wish I still had it, it was awesome.
    I reckon I bought a PRS EG from you years ago, you also advertised that EBMM silhouette, for sale, and I should have bloody bought that one!

Am I right?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    tFB Trader
    Dodge said:
    Vintage-GUITARIST-MAGAZINE-February-1995-VOX-Mark-Knopfler-INXS-Van-Halon-ART thumbnail 1

9 pages of the small classified ads in the rear of the mag - Including my former business Mark Hopkin Guitar Gallery in Derby - I had a used Ricky 330/12 listed at £899 and a used/1976 LP Deluxe listed at £850

That might have been around the time I bought a Musicman Silhouette from you, although it might have been a smidge later.

I remember driving up to Derby in the snow and nearly crashing on the motorway. Bought the guitar though. It was a light blue burst, maple neck and fixed bridge. Wish I still had it, it was awesome.
    I'll have to get the dates when I opened and closed that shop - I did not actually close it down it morphed in with Play it again Sam around the corner and I stayed part of that shop and Academy of Sound for a few years
    tFB Trader
    Dodge said:
    Big ads for Brandoni - guitar parts n bodies - I bet @HarrySeven recalls these and has parts in his collection

Seen a review for Retrotec amps - can't recall them at all - Looks a bit like a Sessionette 75
    Ah, those Brandoni pearloid bodies! They were gorgeously tacky.

Was the Retrotec a black valve combo made in Andover by any chance? I remember reading the review of an amp in Guitarist and wanting it but the company vanished before i had the cash.
    yes all valve - 4 x 6L6 - and built in Wilts - So wrong of me to say a small Sessionette - I did not read the review - Just saw the pic and guessed
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 460
    edited September 2020
    Rock around the clock was near me in crouch end, plus I think in the same chain there was don macrall (??) in hammersmith and edgware music (which is still going). 

Peter Cooks in hanwell was fab, bought quite a bit of vintage stuff from them. 

Didn’t fat ricks in earls court splinter into new Kings rd emporium (Rick zsigmond) and Chris twigg’s vintage and rare? I remember lusting after a vintage gibson explorer or similar in 1982 in their earls court shop for what was then something like £10k (crazy money then) as opposed to say £350k now. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11679
    MikeC said:
    Rock around the clock was near me in crouch end,

At one point it was over the road from Terrapin Trucking Company, a marvellous place. I went into RATC a few times, never felt the urge to spend my money there rather than Terrapin.
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    I had some stuff off Brandoni a tele neck and some hardware.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    Philly_Q said:
    guitars4you said:
    Yes, I think they were connected - or maybe I just always get the two mixed up.  I bought a Strat Plus Deluxe (from one or other of them!) around 1989 and the shop owner/manager actually drove to my house and delivered it personally!
    That was the guy, Geoff!  Do you know him Mark?  I imagine he'd be well on in years by now.
  • MM Music are still going but they have rebranded as The Guitar Store. One of the most famous shop fronts in the world.... 
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 176
    Redlester said:

Yes, I have a feeling holiday music are still going as you describe. 
    Holiday Music - which was where I used to spend my money - became Strings Direct.  
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    This was a great copy with all the Vox users from Beatles, Brian MAy to Britpop. I also remember my version hd a matte cover whereas Guitarist was mostly glossy. Felt like a classy issue. 

Wish I had all my nineties Guitarists but they were ruined in a flood a few years back.  

Redwing - short lived Patrick Eggle project. There is one or two that makes a resurgence on the various classified and passed through Coda a while back too.  

Phil Norsworthy tried to go it alone but don't think he made it much past the early 00's and now isn't in MI to my knowledge. The other ex-Eggle employee who is seemingly doing ok is Rob Williams (previously Woodworm). He makes some stunners that look very similar to the Eggle LA. They are on my wishlist actually.  
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Anyone else remember Area 51 Music? Yellow and black double page ads -massively cheaper on Epiphone and Gibson than anyone else. Not sure they had a shop front? Didn't seem to last long, but was a sign of times to come...seems they started too early!! 

Later in the 00's there was also Music King in Brum. I went once. Quite a nice industrial estate store. But didn't seem to last long either. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    chrisjac2 said:
    impmann said:
    Monkey Biz Music... more accurately put out of business by Si and Terry by starting PMT in direct competition.

I used to work at the Bexleyheath store that morphed into Trademart Music after Monkey Biz went belly up.
    Haha you prob sold me my first guitar! Were you there before or after they moved into the old fiat garage?
    Both!
    I started in the old shop and helped John move the business across the road to the old car sales showroom when the rent doubled.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    guitars4you said:
    That was the guy, Geoff!  Do you know him Mark?  I imagine he'd be well on in years by now.
    I know of him, but don't think I've ever met him
    tFB Trader
    Dodge said:

I reckon I bought a PRS EG from you years ago, you also advertised that EBMM silhouette, for sale, and I should have bloody bought that one!

Am I right?
    Was this when I had the shop in Derby in the mid late 90's ? - Unfortunately I have no stock records of those days - But nice guitars was the order of the day as far as I was concerned for what I stocked - So sorry if I can't fully recall
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom