Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More Nostalgia - Guitarist Magazine Feb1995

What's Hot

Comments

• Dodge said:
    Vintage-GUITARIST-MAGAZINE-February-1995-VOX-Mark-Knopfler-INXS-Van-Halon-ART thumbnail 1

9 pages of the small classified ads in the rear of the mag - Including my former business Mark Hopkin Guitar Gallery in Derby - I had a used Ricky 330/12 listed at £899 and a used/1976 LP Deluxe listed at £850
    I remember that very magazine.

That might have been around the time I bought a Musicman Silhouette from you, although it might have been a smidge later.

I remember driving up to Derby in the snow and nearly crashing on the motorway. Bought the guitar though. It was a light blue burst, maple neck and fixed bridge. Wish I still had it, it was awesome.
    I reckon I bought a PRS EG from you years ago, you also advertised that EBMM silhouette, for sale, and I should have bloody bought that one!

Am I right?
    Was this when I had the shop in Derby in the mid late 90's ? - Unfortunately I have no stock records of those days - But nice guitars was the order of the day as far as I was concerned for what I stocked - So sorry if I can't fully recall
    Ahhh, sorry I should have explained better (it was late :) ).

when @Dodge ; mentioned that Blueburst Silhouette which he bought from you, I remember a guitar like that clearly in my head.

I recall one being for sale in maybe 2005/06 on eBay. 

The chap selling (From Kiddlington in the Cotswolds) also had a PRS EG with three Fralin Dominos and a three piece blue burst figured top which I bought.

I met him I a pub car park half way between us for picking up the guitar so I was having a guess that @dodge might have been that seller. Driving a Jaguar if I recall correctly?

Wish I’d had that Silhouette (I had a couple already at the time)...sorry for the confusion!!!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Eric Lindsay from your defunct list is still going. 

https://www.elmusic.co.uk/

• So what about these dealers - all with adverts in that issue yet all have now dissapeared

Tempo  -  Chandlers  -  Ivor Marriants  - Machine Head Music -- Eddie Moors  -  Sheehans  -  Holiday Music (although aren't they now effectively one of the mail order strings businesses  ?  - Scheeres  -  Rock around the clock in London  - Percy Priors  - Tiger Music  -  Zebra Music (might be still in business)  - Sounds Great  - Fat Ricks Guitar Emporium  -  Acoustic Centre and Bass Centre  -  Sound Control  - Academy of Sound  -  MM Music  -  Soho Soundhouse  -  John Clover Music in Birmingham  -  Humbucker  -  Herford Music Centre  -  JC's Guitar Workshop in Newcastle  -  Mark's in Ipswich  -  Project Music in Hounslow (think now in the SW of the country)  -  Kingfisher  -  ABC Music  - London Rock Shop  -  Rea Sound  -  Bang on Music in Brum  -  Electro Music  -  Whirligig Music  -  Eric Lindsay  - Axe Mail  -  Monkey Biz (partly morphed into PMT)  
    MM Music are still going strong, and still owned by the same guy - they changed the name of the shop to 'The Guitar Store' after years of people phoning up asking if they sold flutes and oboes. 

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    Dodge said:
    Vintage-GUITARIST-MAGAZINE-February-1995-VOX-Mark-Knopfler-INXS-Van-Halon-ART thumbnail 1

9 pages of the small classified ads in the rear of the mag - Including my former business Mark Hopkin Guitar Gallery in Derby - I had a used Ricky 330/12 listed at £899 and a used/1976 LP Deluxe listed at £850

That might have been around the time I bought a Musicman Silhouette from you, although it might have been a smidge later.

I remember driving up to Derby in the snow and nearly crashing on the motorway. Bought the guitar though. It was a light blue burst, maple neck and fixed bridge. Wish I still had it, it was awesome.
    I reckon I bought a PRS EG from you years ago, you also advertised that EBMM silhouette, for sale, and I should have bloody bought that one!

Am I right?
    Was this when I had the shop in Derby in the mid late 90's ? - Unfortunately I have no stock records of those days - But nice guitars was the order of the day as far as I was concerned for what I stocked - So sorry if I can't fully recall

when @Dodge ; mentioned that Blueburst Silhouette which he bought from you, I remember a guitar like that clearly in my head.

The chap selling (From Kiddlington in the Cotswolds) also had a PRS EG with three Fralin Dominos and a three piece blue burst figured top which I bought.

I met him I a pub car park half way between us for picking up the guitar so I was having a guess that @dodge might have been that seller. Driving a Jaguar if I recall correctly?

Wish I’d had that Silhouette (I had a couple already at the time)...sorry for the confusion!!!

Indeed that was me.  Do you still have the EG?  THat was another guitar I should have kept.
  • Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

Am I right?

Indeed that was me.  Do you still have the EG?  THat was another guitar I should have kept.
    Ahhh cool! Nope, it was beautifully built, but sadly I didn’t get on with the sounds on board, and was not going to mod it - no way - not on that guitar.

It went out through Music City in Worcester (more nostalgia). Stu told me that the buyer thought it had the best Strat sounds he had ever heard and had to have it immediately.

Funny how these things go.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    edited September 2020

Ahhh cool! Nope, it was beautifully built, but sadly I didn’t get on with the sounds on board, and was not going to mod it - no way - not on that guitar.

It went out through Music City in Worcester (more nostalgia). Stu told me that the buyer thought it had the best Strat sounds he had ever heard and had to have it immediately.

Funny how these things go.

No worries - it was a nice guitar, less 'Strat' that tne EG3 (Series 1) I've just sold.  I think it was the Domino pickups that gave it it's sound.  I ought to try 3 x P90's in a Strat....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkio said:
    Redlester said:

Yes, I have a feeling holiday music are still going as you describe. 
    Holiday Music - which was where I used to spend my money - became Strings Direct.  

I think it was slightly different to that. Holiday Music was based in Romford and Strings Direct in Southend area. They both merged (or perhaps one acquired the other) and ended up on Purdeys industrial estate in Rochford, but we're still known as Strings Direct (who did the mail order part) and Holiday Music (which was the guitar shop). They eventually decided to stop the guitar shop side of it and concentrate on the mail order so now it's just Strings Direct. Something like that anyway!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    So what about these dealers - all with adverts in that issue yet all have now dissapeared

Tempo  -  Chandlers  -  Ivor Marriants  - Machine Head Music -- Eddie Moors  -  Sheehans  -  Holiday Music (although aren't they now effectively one of the mail order strings businesses  ?  - Scheeres  -  Rock around the clock in London  - Percy Priors  - Tiger Music  -  Zebra Music (might be still in business)  - Sounds Great  - Fat Ricks Guitar Emporium  -  Acoustic Centre and Bass Centre  -  Sound Control  - Academy of Sound  -  MM Music  -  Soho Soundhouse  -  John Clover Music in Birmingham  -  Humbucker  -  Herford Music Centre  -  JC's Guitar Workshop in Newcastle  -  Mark's in Ipswich  -  Project Music in Hounslow (think now in the SW of the country)  -  Kingfisher  -  ABC Music  - London Rock Shop  -  Rea Sound  -  Bang on Music in Brum  -  Electro Music  -  Whirligig Music  -  Eric Lindsay  - Axe Mail  -  Monkey Biz (partly morphed into PMT)  

Got my Strat Plus Deluxe from Kingfisher - it's a Dominos Pizza place now :(

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2480
    During the 80s Kingfisher was, in the South-East, the foremost guitar shop outside of London. They carried an excellent range of guitars, amps, pa, recording equip and even drums and had regular large ads in the back of guitarist. I lived not far away and went there regularly but by the time of this mag, 1995, their slow decline had already started. One of the many prominent guitar shops that failed to recognise the future in online sales.

ABC must have had 6 or 7 branches but they varied. Addlestone was a good one and Slough was also OK whereas Kingston and some others were not so good. As a little bit of trivia, Grahame White who was one of the three lead guitarists in rock/harmony band Capability Brown (an influence on early Queen) worked at ABC's Esher and Slough stores for some years.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    edited September 2020
    Jimbro66 said:
    As a little bit of trivia, Grahame White who was one of the three lead guitarists in rock/harmony band Capability Brown (an influence on early Queen) worked at ABC's Esher and Slough stores for some years.

There was a bloke who worked at the Exchange & Mart in Swansea (a good source of secondhand LPs, and the occasional cheap guitar, in the late 1970s) who, it was claimed, was once the guitarist in Budgie.  I don't think that was true, though.

(I'm not suggesting your Grahame White anecdote isn't true! )

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12900
    Philly_Q said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    As a little bit of trivia, Grahame White who was one of the three lead guitarists in rock/harmony band Capability Brown (an influence on early Queen) worked at ABC's Esher and Slough stores for some years.

There was a bloke who worked at the Exchange & Mart in Swansea (a good source of secondhand LPs, and the occasional cheap guitar, in the late 1970s) who, it was claimed, was once the guitarist in Budgie.  I don't think that was true, though.

Great band, Budgie. Tony Bourge’s (ex Budgie original guitarist) son was selling some of his dad’s gear either on here or MR a few years back. He was still playing and recording then apparently, although I don’t think he was still actively gigging anymore. I asked him about Tony’s famous SG and he told me that his dad had been forced into buying it... he used to gig a 335 but the band didn’t think it looked rock’n’roll enough and made him part ex it for the SG. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Great band, Budgie. Tony Bourge’s (ex Budgie original guitarist) son was selling some of his dad’s gear either on here or MR a few years back. He was still playing and recording then apparently, although I don’t think he was still actively gigging anymore. I asked him about Tony’s famous SG and he told me that his dad had been forced into buying it... he used to gig a 335 but the band didn’t think it looked rock’n’roll enough and made him part ex it for the SG. 

Yes, I like Budgie.  I've only got a double-CD best-of, I confess, but it's all good stuff. 

Here's a picture of Tony with a 335 - or maybe 345(?), with the varitone switch, I'm not very good on ES models.  It definitely wasn't him at the Exchange & Mart.

Photo of BUDGIE and Tony BOURGE Tony Bourge performing on stage News Photo  - Getty Images

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 176
    yorkio said:
    Redlester said:

Holiday Music - which was where I used to spend my money - became Strings Direct.  

I think it was slightly different to that. Holiday Music was based in Romford and Strings Direct in Southend area. They both merged (or perhaps one acquired the other) and ended up on Purdeys industrial estate in Rochford, but we're still known as Strings Direct (who did the mail order part) and Holiday Music (which was the guitar shop). They eventually decided to stop the guitar shop side of it and concentrate on the mail order so now it's just Strings Direct. Something like that anyway!
    Blimey, that all sounds a bit complicated. I think I'd have moved away by then so missed all of that.

They also used to have a kind of business within a business upstairs – Lefties – which just sold, would you believe, left-handed guitars. IIRC, that was run by a bloke called Steve, who I remember had always been about since I'd been going there, so I guess might well have been the owner?
    Jalapeno said:

I bought a Ricky 330 and a 70's Strat from there too.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    yorkio said:
    yorkio said:
    Redlester said:

Blimey, that all sounds a bit complicated. I think I'd have moved away by then so missed all of that.

They also used to have a kind of business within a business upstairs – Lefties – which just sold, would you believe, left-handed guitars. IIRC, that was run by a bloke called Steve, who I remember had always been about since I'd been going there, so I guess might well have been the owner?
    Yes I recall Lefties as a division of HM - Think the owner/manager was a leftie himself hence a larger selection than most other dealers - Not sure any other dealer before/since has offered  such a good selection for the South Paw players
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Yes, I like Budgie.  I've only got a double-CD best-of, I confess, but it's all good stuff. 

Here's a picture of Tony with a 335 - or maybe 345(?), with the varitone switch, I'm not very good on ES models.  It definitely wasn't him at the Exchange & Mart.

Photo of BUDGIE and Tony BOURGE Tony Bourge performing on stage News Photo  - Getty Images

That’s a cool photo - also a very cool amp! That’s a Vampower 100w head. I’d love one, but the eBay and reverb prices are “optimistic” imho.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Fat Rick's is now New Kings Road Vintage Guitars.....Rick Zsigmond.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    HELP - Trying to recall the name of a chain of stores - Maybe around 4-6 of them in the SW - Mainly home keyboard orientated - Maybe closed down around 10-15 years ago 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited September 2020
    HELP - Trying to recall the name of a chain of stores - Maybe around 4-6 of them in the SW - Mainly home keyboard orientated - Maybe closed down around 10-15 years ago
    Music City, there was also Heron music which had 2or 3 shops in the Southwest/Bristol

i worked for a brief time at ABC music before and as it closed in Bristol
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Dodge said:
    Jalapeno said:

I bought a Ricky 330 and a 70's Strat from there too.

I bought a Thin Crust Hawaiian from there.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom