Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More Nostalgia - Guitarist Magazine Feb1995

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    HELP - Trying to recall the name of a chain of stores - Maybe around 4-6 of them in the SW - Mainly home keyboard orientated - Maybe closed down around 10-15 years ago
    Music City, there was also Heron music which had 2or 3 shops in the Southwest/Bristol

i worked for a brief time at ABC music before and as it closed in Bristol
    Music City - maybe it was - I can't remember but it doesn't ring a bell - I thought something like Modern Music - To vague I'm afraid at my end  - I know they were more of a keyboard mums 'n' pops store and less rock 'n' roll 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 413
    @guitars4you Was it Music Makers by  any chance? I recall the store name had white lettering on a dark blue background.

There was one of these stores in Essex during the 90's, mostly selling keyboards and pianos, but they had a small selection of Encore type quality guitars in the corner. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

tFB Trader
    skay said:
    @guitars4you Was it Music Makers by  any chance? I recall the store name had white lettering on a dark blue background.

There was one of these stores in Essex during the 90's, mostly selling keyboards and pianos, but they had a small selection of Encore type quality guitars in the corner. 
    Not the area/name I was thinking off - Maybe my memory has gone and it doesn't exist - Maybe it is Music City (see above) as I had City Music in mind - Will keep working on this
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    HELP - Trying to recall the name of a chain of stores - Maybe around 4-6 of them in the SW - Mainly home keyboard orientated - Maybe closed down around 10-15 years ago
    Music City, there was also Heron music which had 2or 3 shops in the Southwest/Bristol

i worked for a brief time at ABC music before and as it closed in Bristol
    Music City - maybe it was - I can't remember but it doesn't ring a bell - I thought something like Modern Music - To vague I'm afraid at my end  - I know they were more of a keyboard mums 'n' pops store and less rock 'n' roll 

I remember Modern Music, I think they were somewhere on the south coast, or at least south of London. 

I bought myself an American Standard Strat from them, for my 30th birthday.  Midnight Wine, maple board... it turned up and it was awful, huge gap in the neck pocket, nut badly fitted, some finish issues... I tried to get a refund but they insisted there was nothing wrong with it, so in the end I accepted an American Standard Tele, sunburst with a rosewood board - I think that was the only other Fender they had!  I did end up keeping that Tele for quite a few years.

I still remember the guy I dealt with, I had so many phone conversations with him - "Hi Phil, it's Tim from Modern Music...":)

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069

Mark - was it Hartnoll's?  They had 2 or 3 shops in the southwest, Exeter, Taunton, and Plymouth I seem to remember.  I got my 60th birthday ES-330 from them in 2009.

Mention of Soho Soundhouse reminds me they used to put out a (quarterly?) brochure with all-sorts in it - guitars, amps, keyboards, lighting, even DJ gear.

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:

Mark - was it Hartnoll's?  They had 2 or 3 shops in the southwest, Exeter, Taunton, and Plymouth I seem to remember.  I got my 60th birthday ES-330 from them in 2009.

Mention of Soho Soundhouse reminds me they used to put out a (quarterly?) brochure with all-sorts in it - guitars, amps, keyboards, lighting, even DJ gear.

I do recall Hartnolls and another name from the past that I have forgotten about - Are they still in business - But no it was not who I was thinking about - I'm going a bit doolally know and wondering if I'm making this up - Something rings a bell
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    impmann said:
    Big ads for Brandoni - guitar parts n bodies - I bet @HarrySeven recalls these and has parts in his collection

I had quite a lot of their Hayman parts! ;)
    I went to the shop/warehouse about 20 years ago to buy a Mustang bridge for a Jaguar.....

Seem to remember it being on an industrial site.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    MikeC said:
    Rock around the clock was near me in crouch end.
    Don't suppose you can remember the name.of the music shop on the cross roads by Highgate station?

I knew RATC from when I lived in Muswell Hill.
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 460
    Yes, it was Wild Guitars, run by Dave Wild until his untimely demise a few years ago. Amazing guitar tech and the shop was a treasure trove of unusual stuff, especially old mij guitars, vox and hiwatt amps. 

He was a rather grumpy person but over about 20 years of spending a fortune there he was friendly to me in the end.  Mind you, it didn’t make him fix my guitars any faster. 

There was another half sized shop at the end of muswell hill broadway by fortune green road that only did second hand stuff, can’t remember the name. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Big ads for Brandoni - guitar parts n bodies - I bet @HarrySeven recalls these and has parts in his collection

Seen a review for Retrotec amps - can't recall them at all - Looks a bit like a Sessionette 75
    I used to own a recording studio a few floors down from Brandoni in the old Wrigleys factory in North Wembley. We were in the basement and in-between sessions I would occasionally pop up there for a gander at all the old Vox bits.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    Is there a feature on Bernie Marsden and his burst in it, by any chance? ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11679
    MikeC said:
    Yes, it was Wild Guitars, run by Dave Wild until his untimely demise a few years ago. Amazing guitar tech and the shop was a treasure trove of unusual stuff, especially old mij guitars, vox and hiwatt amps. 

He was a rather grumpy person but over about 20 years of spending a fortune there he was friendly to me in the end.  Mind you, it didn’t make him fix my guitars any faster. 

There was another half sized shop at the end of muswell hill broadway by fortune green road that only did second hand stuff, can’t remember the name. 
    I remember that shop. I bought a very odd one-off guitar from there, will post a pic of it if I can. I don't remember its name either but I always had a snoop when passing. 

I found Wild Guitars' prices to be either very optimistic or in Japanese Yen as opposed to sterling. 
  • Nitefly said:

Yes I was working at Soho Soundhouse at the time. Said brochure was the idea of the owner, Johnny Arbiter, who wanted it to look like an old copy of Melody Maker or suchlike with aged pages. Actually, considering that accessible desktop publishing was in its infancy, the graphic designer Seb did a very good job. A lot of work went into it every month, again it being pre-online days it was an important sales tool.
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:
    Is there a feature on Bernie Marsden and his burst in it, by any chance? ;-)
    I think the mags were still fresh then - So the idea of re-cycling such stories wasn't required - But gave you a nice lol for the comment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom