Anyone else getting tired of CGI?

What's Hot
Maybe I've been hoofin' too much Wickes Steel 140, but I'm really tired of CGI based movies. Where the hell are the STORRRRIIEEEEESSSSSSS !?!?!!!

I blame Tom Cruise. 2012 was dross. Absolute dire, diabolical, diarrhea-otic, DROSS. But that big gloomy "the world is ending" thing has been huge since then.

Every. Fucking. Trailer. Has. The. Same. Fucking. Hans. Zimmer. String. Patch. With. De. Satch. Hurrrrrrrr. Hated colours, gloomy transitions, and BIG FUCKING STINGS UP THE WAZOO!!! It's like being fucked to death by bees!

Trailer steps:

1. Load a desaturated LUT across all your footage.
2. Make your fade-to-black transitions 10 seconds long.
3. Load up Native Instruments THRILL and hold down a diminished FsharpFlatMinorBb# chord/
4. ????
5. Profit. But only if China buys your movie in droves.

Movies are crap now. And yes I'm a cum-smudgeon.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    Some are crap. Others are ace. Watch “the gentlemen” I loved it
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Some are crap. Others are ace. Watch “the gentlemen” I loved it
    Looks like a reasonable enough movie. That's not the kind of thing I'm referring to I suppose.

It's more the Marvel/DC thing... fuck you in the eyes with darkness until you bleed to death. Bloody movies are so dark too. If I wanted to know what it felt like to have glaucoma, I'd shoot myself in the eyeballs with a broken toaster!

Bye!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    And why are they always about 5 bloody hours long?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19089
    Yup, noted  http://sequart.org/magazine/32555/id-need-a-lobotomy-to-enjoy-thor-the-dark-world/
     Basically coherent or challenging narrative being replaced by 'action' stylee of lots of confusing incoherent CGI visuals plus mahoosive EXPLOSIONS while dialogue is happening.
    Plus Tom Hardy "Taboo" type mumbling dialogue FFS.

Oh dear, I'm now officially a grumpy old git (as if no-one knew).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    Watch the last Star Wars.

Then watch the first Star Wars.

And then understand why CGI is shit.

Especially if you watch the George Lucas remastered version of the original with the added CGI bits, which are horrifically obvious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I feckin hate it (cgi that is), always have done. I love the cheesy 80’s animatronics and special effects of that time. I think the greatest of that time was the transitioning scene from man to werewolf in an American werewolf in London, bloody marvellous! Manimal tv series was pretty great too.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Look I get it Nocals Cage is really unrealistic looking but there's good cgi too. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I dont get the whole killing the good guy characters off thing. 

Its like they cant write decent enough stuff to keep the audience so they turn it into a shock ‘guess whos gonna die in the next instalment’ type thing. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yep .. I'd prefer Hollywood crashes a big asteroid in the Earth .. CGI is cheaper than paying for a decent script and good actors.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • zepp76 said:
    I feckin hate it (cgi that is), always have done. I love the cheesy 80’s animatronics and special effects of that time. I think the greatest of that time was the transitioning scene from man to werewolf in an American werewolf in London, bloody marvellous! Manimal tv series was pretty great too.
    ^ This.

Can't stand CG!I. Maybe a younger generation raised on X-boxes can get something out of it but it's lost on me. 

Chistopher Reeve made me believe a man could fly, Adam West didn't punch anyone who didn't get back up again and Frank Oz's hand up Yodas bum was real enough for me.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited September 2020
    zepp76 said:
    ^ This.

Can't stand CG!I. Maybe a younger generation raised on X-boxes can get something out of it but it's lost on me. 

Chistopher Reeve made me believe a man could fly, Adam West didn't punch anyone who didn't get back up again and Frank Oz's hand up Yodas bum was real enough for me.

watch Gladiator and you can see CGI is fantastic when done right (ie when you dont notice it)

the problem is now it is over used and to try and make things spectacular it goes beyond the laws of physics. I liken some modern films to cartoons. It is like watching wile e coyote step off a cliff and not fall until he realises his mistake.

• You forgot.. ‘lens flare’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited September 2020
    I was always more impressed with movies which achieve more with less. Tom Cruise's senseless remake of Abre Los Ojos may look spectacular, but what tickles me more is knowing that, in the original, they actually managed to empty the Gran Via in Madrid, in the daytime. Except for the guy in one window of a flat overlooking the street. The knowledge gave the scene for more impact, there was no need to suspend disbelief, because it actually happened. I mean I was there 2.5 years and I never saw it empty.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3643
    I guess CGI is cheaper and lazier for the studios.

Compare the real aircraft in The Battle of Britain with CGI stuff in Pearl Harbour, the difference is laughable.

And the old epics like Spartacus etc with hundreds of extras and massive sets instead of a computer generated scene.

Honestly most films nowadays are just like watching a computer game but then my choice is mainly Film Noir from the '40's where a great story could be told in 90 minutes not this modern overblown tripe that goes on seemingly forever. 
  • Modern film = big explosion
    Sequel = bigger explosion
    Trilogy = biggest explosion

And then there's these bloody amp modelling contraptions... ;)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • It's kind of why I mainly only watch kids films these days, because whilst they are obviously CGI they tendto make no bones about it being a cartoon and thus your expectation is accurate. Whereas when it's just the overblown wooshy bang bang shite it just comes across as the film equivalent of somebody controlling a model railway set with a mobile phone app - needlessly overcomplicated for no real gain whatsoever, overseen by an immature middle aged man ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    people were saying CGA was overused 20 years ago when Gladiator was released.

The mark of good CGI is often that you don't notice it, but there are also films where you are fully aware its all CGI and that's fine too.  I don't want everything I watch to look like the real world.

My pet peeve is using CGI when it would be just as easy to use a real world practical solution.   CGI to remove an actors moustache is ridiculous, give the man a shave

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    phil_b said:

the problem is now it is over used and to try and make things spectacular it goes beyond the laws of physics. 
    That’s not the problem - the original Star Wars doesn’t obey the laws of physics either, but still looks great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24467
    I'm far less bothered by the overuse of CGI clichés than I am with this recent American obsession with "superheroes".  Every other fucking film these days is about some fantasy crime-fighting hero dressed in primary coloured lycra with a 'perfect' body, perfect teeth and a unique 'power'.  What the hell is that all about ?  I'm sure the philosophers can offer answers.  
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11373
    The Dam Busters was on yesterday and the very low-tech effects used when showing the dams being breached and the water flooding through didn't really matter much. 

The problem is when CGI becomes the film instead of being a small part of the telling of a story. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom