Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying a lifer (Gibson)?

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Nice guitars, i have a couple of eastmans myself but unless you have had the Gibson equivalents there will always be that " should have bought a Gibson" feeling at the back your mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125

Devil#20 said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Why don't you sell one of your LP's and get a Gibson Studio LP for about £600 or so. You'd probably have the funds to get a Tokai then and you've also got your Gibson in the stable. The Studio is to all intents and purpose a proper Les Paul without the flame top, binding and all the other bells and whistles that bung the price up but not necessarily a miles better guitar. I've got a Les Paul Studio and a Les Paul Standard and for whatever reason I prefer playing the Studio. It may not look as flashy but sometimes less in more.  
    I’d thought about that, but I genuinely don’t know how much of a step up the Studio would be from my Vintage ( it’s that good!) and also I guess a ‘full fat’ LP is what I lust after. 

...You won't buy a Tokai because you want the Gibson headstock, even if the Tokai is the better guitar...
    It won’t be a better Gibson though.

From experience - buy once and you’ll save a ton in the long run.

People love to denigrate Gibson. Most of the time their guitars are lovely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • So. Looking at eBay it seems that a traditional might be more within my price range. 

Am I right in thinking these are non weight relived and with a thicker necks?

Because if so they might actually be perfect for me. Part of what I love about Les Pauls is the weight ( my Vintage is 9lbs) and I’m not adverse to a thick neck ( I’m not a shredder!). 
    Traditionals are no worse than a standard. They were meant to be a take on what a standard would have been back in the day. Not precise like an R8 or R9, you have to pay the big bucks for the fine details. But that I believe was the idea, rounded necks, no weight relief and traditional controls. Versus some modern era standards which had weight relief and extra switching. Not an exact science, as Gibson tended to change their approach often with standards from year to year. 

I had a 2016 traditional. I bought it this year from a shop comfortably in your budget and it was no compromise quality wise versus the other les Paul's I've had (including an 89 Les Paul custom).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is a good site for referencing the traditionals from year to year. Just scope one out you like in ebay or wherever, and then take a look at this website to see if the specs suit you: http://www.gibsontraditional.com/list-of-models/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Don't be scared off with all the Gibson QC stories online. 9.5 times out of 10 you are going to get a guitar that you love.

It's just my personal opinion - but if you are making a big purchase, I'd always say take your time to really search and see  what comes up AND consider paying that little bit extra if you come across that dream guitar.

2 years ago I was set on getting my first proper LP and almost bought a Standard new, but then I paid a few hundred extra and got a R8 second hand. No one has to pay hundreds extra - it's all relative to our own budgets - but sit down, consider what you want, and enjoy the search.
  • Gerz6558 said:
    This is a good site for referencing the traditionals from year to year. Just scope one out you like in ebay or wherever, and then take a look at this website to see if the specs suit you: http://www.gibsontraditional.com/list-of-models/
    That’s great, there isn’t one for Standards is there?
  • Go for the Gibson, its the one you’ve always wanted. You’ll find one in budget with a little patience
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    My recent LP history - got a 2012 Goldtop from Andertons in 2013 for £1200 - I had 6 to choose from !

Picked up a s/h 60's neck iced tea for £800 (from a dealer) - electrics need attention - it overwintered in the garage and has some excellent crazing now.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thebreeze said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    This is a good site for referencing the traditionals from year to year. Just scope one out you like in ebay or wherever, and then take a look at this website to see if the specs suit you: http://www.gibsontraditional.com/list-of-models/
    That’s great, there isn’t one for Standards is there?
    Sorry I have no idea! Tbh when I'm interested in any guitar I see, a quick search online will bring back the specs. I'd suggest finding something that's on for sale now which you like the look of and then researching it. Rather than researching the last 20 years of models and getting bogged down searching for a specific year or model.

Like somebody else mentioned, you will find beauties and dogs from every year. And if you buy used and find you would like a change, then you should be able to make that happen without losing any money.
  • No such thing as a lifer, you make a guitar a lifer by playing it to the point you feel at home and don't want to play anything else, you can't know that at the start unfortunately 
    This.

I've tried to buy lifers before and always moved them on.
    The guitar I've owned the longest is a 2003 Strat. It's the best 25.5 inch scale guitar I've ever played from any maker.

I swap the pickups a lot for when I want to a tone change but other than that I don't do anything with it.
    I have made up scratchplates with a plug and socket rig for no solder swaps so it only takes a few minutes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• My Tokai experience is kind of the opposite of what others have said here, I've owned and played them and yes, they are great guitars. However, it's really hard to quantify what I think, but they don't sound or feel as good as my Standard, which is a great guitar to be honest so maybe it's tough competition! Perhaps it's the finishes, or the balance, or something else but they never felt right.

Like others have said they just aren't a Gibson, and it will always bug you if that's what you're after. I've never owned an Eastman but the ones I've played were similar in that regard, great looking, well made (some of the finishes are weird though) but a tad lifeless tbh.

I'm a self confessed Gibson fanboy, and the only singlecut guitars I would consider over a Gibson are a Feline or a PRS. Both of which are more expensive, so I'd stick to your search and pick up a Gibson. I've got a 1999 Standard and you can pick them up for less than your budget, it's a great guitar. After a fettle at Feline earlier this year, it's now even better. Good luck with your search. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Les Paul Junior.
    The OP wants a PROPER Les Paul.

;)
  • Play a bunch of Gibsons, just for research. 
    I understand the pull of a Brand. You need to experience them. 
    The more you play, the better informed for choice you'll become.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    What about this?

https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/2012-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar-in-blue-mist-pre-owned-p15845

Lovely colour and not a bad weight.

Right on the money as well.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Saw a couple of GuitarGuitar (no affiliation here - just happened to be browsing when I saw this post).

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/pxp200924362408003-5667361--gibson-les-paul-traditional-heritage-cherry-sunburst

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px200908361865003--gibson-2004-les-paul-standard-trans-black-pre-owned

Think the prices may be slightly high given the condition notes but if they're local to you it might be worth a look.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Play a bunch of Gibsons, just for research. 
    I understand the pull of a Brand. You need to experience them. 
    The more you play, the better informed for choice you'll become.
    Couldn't agree more.  I've had maybe 16 Gibson guitars pass through my hands and the voicing of them can vary wildly.  The correlation between RRP and how nice it is can also be quite loose, although in general I think it's there
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Gerz6558 said:
    Useful site, thanks @Gerz6558 ;

• It’s good to know they’re out there!

Are there any particularly recommended retailers for S/H guitars?
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    edited October 2020
    Anderton's, GuitarGuitar, Richtone, Coda, Peach, GAK all pretty good with probably Coda and GuitarGuitar having the most regularly updated stock.

However, they'll mark up so you're probably best with eBay, Gumtree or best bet - stick a WTB in the classifieds here. You'll probably be offered a load of stuff you're not after as well but you might be surprised how quickly something shows up.

FWIW, I'd probably go for a Traditional over a Standard if offered either. Closer to what I think of when I think Les Paul although you can get a great one of either if you're lucky.

I had a standard which I ultimately sold because, as cool as it looked and had Gibson on the headstock, it simply wasn't as good as other guitars I have of a similar price and wasn't getting played. Don't miss it but absolutely glad I scratched that itch. Unless you've had one and lived with it for a bit you'll always want one and everything else will be a compromise. Buy one first if it's what you want and hopefully it's a keeper... however, if you don't like it you can get your money back and then maybe go down the rabbit hole of alternatives. No brainer really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    @Crazyblue1779  ;Guitarguitar have a preowned traditional at 1399