Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying a lifer (Gibson)?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    edited October 2020
    Honestly?

Keep that 1500 man, and wait until you can make it a bit more. So you can buy the dream. The end.

Unless i'm mistaken, we were talking recently in my own thread, so if that's you i'm sure you can relate to the following..
    Don't fuck up the dream. Done that.
    Those of us that are a bit more tight, we often end up compromising. We pay 'less' for something that doesn't quite amount to what we wanted, we buy 'cheaper' and end up with something that then needs patching and fixing; ie costing us more.

Keep it up there in your head until you can do it proper.
    With 1500 in already, you're 62,5% there.

Just me
    Either way, i hope you get the one, which and whenever that gets to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always been a Fender fan (both basses and guitars) and when I've felt brave enough I've ventured in to Music Man territory. This year though, I've had a huge hankering for a Gibson. I tried one a few years ago and sent it back as the QC was truly awful: I mean really awful. It put me off but like you, it's a itch and it needed scratching. 

After a good bonus and after selling a number of basses I decided to take the plunge and bought a Les Paul Standard from Andertons. It's a 2020 model and I can't recommend them highly enough. They really are very good. 

I also swapped a few acoustics and ended up with a great 2017 J45. It wasn't in the best nick and the previous owner was obviously a chain smoker, but again it's superb. 

Finally, today I took delivery of an ES335 from Mansons. Again it's amazing and it really was something I'd hankered after for years. 

From my own experiences, if you have your heart on a Gibson, go for one. Nothing else will do and you'll regret not buying a Gibson (not to say that they're better than anything else, but if it's what you want, go for it). 

I'd also say do your homework and research the models available. There is a wealth of info on the internet and even if you buy used, you'll be able to find information on the relevant production years too. 

If you can't try any beforehand or you can't get to any stores (especially given current COVID restrictions) distance selling will cover you if you want to try before you buy. It may be a bit of a ballache and you will have to pay for return couriers (unless the instrument is faulty), but it's always an option. Of all the guitars I've bought online, I've only ever returned one under DSR and it was hassle-free. By the time I decided to place an order though, I'd already done as much research as I could have done though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    thegummy said:
    @SteveRobinson care to share what?
    Shoddy finishing, a split freboard, and this where the wood has splintered when bent but just finished over:

That's worse than you've seen on Gibsons?

Believe me, much worse than that leave the Gibson factory.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about a brand new Gibson with photos. You'll see what kind of issues leave the Gibson factory if you find that thread.
    Is that the one about the ridge on the fretboard?

This one?:

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    That's the one. There's like a big chunk of grain out in the second fret and there's a long score mark all the way up the neck which isn't as obvious in that photo but if you look at the nut you can follow it down.

Definitely worse than the other example imo.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you must have a Gibson it might be worth looking at 2015 models. They got a massive and in my opinion slightly unfair kicking.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Bigsby said:
    rlw said:
    Gibsons are mainly made by hand and hand finished which explains the cost and the inconsistencies.  If you want consistent high quality, buy something made in China or Korea, mainly by machine.

I'm pretty sure Gibson use CNC and Plek machines as much, if not more than other manufacturers, they need to because of their high labour costs in the USA. And that's the real reason for the higher cost, rather than being more hand-made than other similar guitars, it's just the hands cost more to hire.

The inconsistencies are either down to cost cutting (shipping rather than fixing) or just not caring about sorting out their sloppy QC. And do they really need to care? They have such a well established and desired brand, I suspect not. Just like the OP I wanted Gibson on the headstock of my first SG. And the second. And the third, despite the poor finish standards... ;) 

They do use CNC and Plek but a lot of the work is still done the old fashioned way nonetheless and that takes time.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    That's the one. There's like a big chunk of grain out in the second fret and there's a long score mark all the way up the neck which isn't as obvious in that photo but if you look at the nut you can follow it down.

Definitely worse than the other example imo.
    The Eastman treasuries
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 150
    Go with a Gibson. I don't doubt other guitars could be better, but you won't get it out of your head. Your budget is not a problem. Definitely buy second hand. You can lose a lot of money buying new and deciding after a while that you need to move it on (which happens often).