Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying a lifer (Gibson)?

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The person at Gibson who QC'd my LP should be a lifer!

On a more serious note I'd genuinely advise against the lower end Gibsons. Their pricing is out of step with other brands so even though their entry model is nearly a grand, it's still very much a stripped down low end model.

They're just like the airport shop of guitars and cost more than double what other brands cost for a similar level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 892
    edited October 2020
    I wanted a Gibson 335 for years - they were completely out of reach but I managed to save enough to put a deposit on a Yamaha SA2200. However, the Yamaha was out of stock everywhere. Stock took weeks and weeks to arrive, by which point I was unexpectedly also able to stretch to a Gibson, having previously ruled them out and therefore not played any. 

I tried both brands side by side and although the Yamaha was the cleaner and more consistent build, I just preferred the overall sound and feel of the 335s I’d then started trying, even with the odd bit of scruffy finishing around the fretboard.

I tried a few and ended up with a subtly flamed cherry one which I’ve owned since 2007 - it would definitely be the last instrument I would part with. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    It’s a weird one. I’ve owned about half a dozen Gibson’s. They are Iconic designs. But they aren’t really that well made compared to most other brands. I hardly play my Les Paul. Wheras my Yamaha SG1000 gets lots of play time. It’s more versatile and on a strap the ergonomics of what is actually a heavier guitar work better for me. 

I think if you want one. Buy one. But take your time doing it. Whenever I’ve bought a Gibson, there’s been huge variations from guitar to guitar. So play lots of them is my advice. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Gibsons are mainly made by hand and hand finished which explains the cost and the inconsistencies.  If you want consistent high quality, buy something made in China or Korea, mainly by machine.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    rlw said:
    Gibsons are mainly made by hand and hand finished which explains the cost and the inconsistencies.  If you want consistent high quality, buy something made in China or Korea, mainly by machine.

Or something handmade in China built by people who give a shit like eastman.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    soma1975 said:
    rlw said:

Indeed.  A good point.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    rlw said:

I'm pretty sure Gibson use CNC and Plek machines as much, if not more than other manufacturers, they need to because of their high labour costs in the USA. And that's the real reason for the higher cost, rather than being more hand-made than other similar guitars, it's just the hands cost more to hire.

The inconsistencies are either down to cost cutting (shipping rather than fixing) or just not caring about sorting out their sloppy QC. And do they really need to care? They have such a well established and desired brand, I suspect not. Just like the OP I wanted Gibson on the headstock of my first SG. And the second. And the third, despite the poor finish standards... ;) 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    soma1975 said:
    rlw said:

Haha that's sort of where I'm at. Had loads of Gibsons which in the main have been ok to very good, but the recent eastman I have is a belter. The pull of that name on the headstock though, sometimes you've just got to get one.
  • As I mentioned before my Vintage Les Paul that I have at the moment is a fine guitar, and genuinely I do forget that it’s a cheaper Chinese ( I think) instrument. 

Obviously part of the motivation behind this purchase is to get something that I’ve always lusted after, but the other part of me ( the usually skint adult part) realises that I also want to get the absolutely best guitar I can for my money, with the least hassle involved. 

And although I’m hoping for a £1500 budget as I said before spending less won’t hurt and may be preferable depending on what life throws my way in the next few months. 

I’m still absolutely on the fence!

Bigsby said:
    rlw said:

I'm pretty sure Gibson use CNC and Plek machines as much, if not more than other manufacturers, they need to because of their high labour costs in the USA. And that's the real reason for the higher cost, rather than being more hand-made than other similar guitars, it's just the hands cost more to hire.

The inconsistencies are either down to cost cutting (shipping rather than fixing) or just not caring about sorting out their sloppy QC. And do they really need to care? They have such a well established and desired brand, I suspect not. Just like the OP I wanted Gibson on the headstock of my first SG. And the second. And the third, despite the poor finish standards... ;) 
    That seems to be it - if it was a new brand no one would buy them because they'd be known for poor quality but the Gibson brand is just so powerful to some people that they still sell their guitars as they are to people who care about the logo on the headstock so they don't need to sort anything, it sells as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I've seen some shocking issues on Eastman guitars, stuff that would never leave the Gibson factory.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5213
    edited October 2020
    Don't be the voice of realism Steve, so many folks here will be devastated to have their Eastman and Far East guitar dreams dashed.......

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @SteveRobinson care to share what?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    @SteveRobinson care to share what?
    I'm interested in this as well.

I've never even heard of Eastman guitars and I'm not one of the people who think 200 quid guitars are better than custom shop but I'm intrigued what could be any worse than what I've seen on Gibsons.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 275
    I wanted a Gibson for a long time, ended taking a punt on a 2016 les Paul studio faded. Had it 4 years now and it’s still my number one guitar. Yeah it’s stripped back with no fanciness but to me that adds to its charm. 
    It’s plays really well, sounds great but most importantly feels great. For me it’s a lifer. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 467
    edited October 2020
    Loads of great advice in this thread already, and to echo what others have said, mine would be to play as many Gibsons as you can before making a decision as they do seem to vary a lot in quality. I've owned and played quite a few from studio to custom shop models. Some were good, some were nothing special, one was so bad it was returned and one was exceptional.

I completely understand the desire to scratch an iconic brand itch though and had I not owned several Gibson Les Pauls beforehand, I might not have been ready to settle on the LP that I did as my "lifer" which rather than being made in Nashville, was made in Croydon by an artisan who happens to be rather fond of cats!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32389
    We all know that nothing beats a good Gibson, so they have to make bad ones to make the good ones stand out. 
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Shoddy finishing, a split freboard, and this where the wood has splintered when bent but just finished over:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Shoddy finishing, a split freboard, and this where the wood has splintered when bent but just finished over:

That's worse than you've seen on Gibsons?

Believe me, much worse than that leave the Gibson factory.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about a brand new Gibson with photos. You'll see what kind of issues leave the Gibson factory if you find that thread.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    This one at guitarguitar looks great and in budget, no connection to it or them, just happened to be looking at their used stuff before i read this

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px200905361782001--gibson-2009-desert-burst-les-paul-standard-pre-owned