Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stairway to Heaven solo redone

What's Hot
https://youtu.be/1cOosnkWj2g
found this quite interesting, preferred the Frampton solo, most in keeping with melody and feel of song 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Really enjoyed this. Actually thought Phil X played it too safe and respectful. Eric Johnson sounded like Jimmy Page playing like Eric Johnson playing like Jimmy Page. Haha. Interesting stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    Phil X - awesome player, plays in one of the world's biggest bands, his solo band is great and also seems like a properly nice chap !

The world needs more Phil X
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    edited October 2020
    Interesting as an academic exercise. Musically? Unsuccessful IMO. 

Frampton seems a decidedly left field choice, but then I only know him for that talkbox song and a Frank Zappa parody. 
    Probably  the best, yes, but it ain’t Jimmy Page. 

The Van Halen one just doesn’t seem to fit in the context at all, and that’s not a dig at anyone, it’s just how it comes over. I mean that brown sound is glorious in context, but here it doesn’t fit so well with the other instrumentation on the track. 

Eric Johnson? I admit I gave up after the first few bars. I mean he leaks all over the breakdown/ ‘fanfare’ section, which stands alone as a discrete part of the song and was intended to be kept deliberately spare. And then he just starts throwing in a few Joe Bonnamassa licks

Thanks for posting mate but none of em are for me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    edited October 2020
    Agree with Redlester.... Interesting but pointless. The Framptonesque solo was the most fitting but doesn't count because it was an impression of his style, as was the EVH solo. Jimi got it right first time round... Leave it be! 
  • Balrog68 said:
    Agree with Redlester.... Interesting but pointless. The Framptonesque solo was the most fitting but doesn't count because it was an impression of his style, as was the EVH solo. Jimi got it right first time round... Leave it be! 
    I enjoyed the first two but the Eric Johnson was a mess. I found it slightly blasphemous. Shows how good the original was, totally appropriate, feel, melody and not overpowered by technical prowess. Page nailed it.
  • Really enjoyed that , I liked the Frampton one , laughed through Van Helen and was really excited for EJ but that was the only one that didn’t grab me
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    What was that song Eric Johnson was playing?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    I liked the first half of the EJ solo but felt he lost it and started to ramble (no pun intended).

The Beato/Frampton one was most like the original, which is probably why it sounded best.
  • In my opinion it really highlighted how great the original is, I agree with @DrCornelius, the EJ one did not do it for me surprisingly. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Just been watching this and came to see if there was a thread yet. 

Don’t know enough of Frampton’s playing to really comment on that. 

I’ll admit I liked the Phil X/EVH one best, but sort of like a show-off guy turns up at a jam session and puts all his tricks over anything and everything. 

I thought the EJ one would be interesting, but it was a nicely played mess. 
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Phil X - killing it as per usual. Love that man.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I think I liked the Phil X When Push Comes to Shove (down the stairs) one best. I'm a massive EJ fan but it needed a bit more focus in the 2nd half. I think Rick just Framptonised the original solo lick by lick although I don't think the progression shows off his style particularly. 

Very enjoyable video though. I wouldn't be surprised if Satriani or Vai did one of these with him also. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Phil X has his tongue firmly in his cheek. I liked that one best, it was fun.

The Frampton one was the original Page solo with extra widdly ornaments.

I've never listened to Johnson but is he always like that? He sounds like his guitar was drunk.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103
    I just don't see the point.  Everyone - the players in the clip, you, me - knows the original too well, they're not playing anything like what they would have played if they were presented with a totally new backing track.  Add in the fact that two of the three players are pretending to be other people and it's even more nonsensical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Other than the original, my personal favourite stairway solo, would be the one Paul Gilbert puts in his cover of 2 become 1
    Ffw to 3.15 for the start of the song, and more for the solo:
    https://youtu.be/k-sy62EIeVo
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For all those saying it’s pointless, yes it is, it’s just a bit of fun as guy intended. 
    To be honest I thought the Phil X was worst by far
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think you have to think of it as a bit of fun rather than something that expected to produce something genuinely innovative.

I thought Rick did a great job recreating the backing track.
  • I think we ought to do that here - does anyone have a backing track ?
  • Enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
    EJ was astonishing as usual. 
    Did not know much about Phil X until I listened to his No Guitar is Safe podcast.  Seems like a really nice bloke and 'brings it'.
    I was left with the impression that he was far too good for Bon Jovi 

Because the solo is one of  the best known solos in history it would be pretty difficult to 'reimagine', but they did a great job

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    For all those saying it’s pointless, yes it is, it’s just a bit of fun as guy intended. 

For all those saying it’s pointless, yes it is, it’s just a bit of fun as guy intended. 
    Point taken, which is why I skipped all the natter and heard the music. 

Did Beato give a reason for focussing on Frampton? Surely it’d have made more sense to focus on one of Pagey’s higher profile mates/ contemporaries. 

Agree on the  backing track- great job.