Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stairway to Heaven solo redone

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    edited October 2020
    I think we ought to do that here - does anyone have a backing track ?
    If I ever get my 12 string in tune :open_mouth: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 176
    I think I'd rather have heard Phil X being Phil X than doing a Stars In Their Eyes version of EVH. 

I'm not sure any of them really brought anything terribly useful to the song though. I'm not particularly a Jimmy Page fan but the Stairway solo really is the guitar solo for that song - it's what it all builds up to and it works perfectly in that context. It didn’t seem to me that any of of them really considered that and instead just played guitar over those chords without thinking about the six minutes that had come before that and what they'd been building up to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I was far more interested in hearing the construction of the backing parts. A deconstruction/reconstruction of classic songs is far more up my street.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed it, just a bit of fun. I'm guessing the breif was to play as 'stereotypically' as possible in each of the the guitarist respective styles. I'm sure EVH would have used the brown sound and all of his clichés if he were actually playing it himself for example.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    gubble said:
    Phil X - awesome player, plays in one of the world's biggest bands, his solo band is great and also seems like a properly nice chap !

The world needs more Phil X

He is brilliant, he's not the type of character I usually find enjoyable but in his case it works for me. His playing seems to effortless no matter he's doinf, and he always seems to be enjoying himself.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    I think for EJ it was just a cock-up in the video editing - that was him practicing scales and arpeggios in order to warm up and play the carefully crafted solo he'd worked out that would bring something to the song.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    JerkMoans said:
    I think we ought to do that here - does anyone have a backing track ?
    If I ever get my 12 string in tune :open_mouth: 
    LOL'd. 

Before I tired of the endless 12 string tuning I gave up trying to tune in E, preferred Eb or D
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Tough crowd some of you. Like others said - think it was just a supposed to bit of fun and I just took it as that.

Always brave posting a link to a video here. If you like something you'll be sure to be told what's wrong with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    Enjoyed that. A bit different and a fun listen. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I certainly am always in favour of hearing someone else’s take on iconic solos. Nothing worse in hearing the same old solo down the dog and duck by a guitarist thinking they sound just like the original who has probably spent hours and hours trying to get all the little nuances down of someone else’s ability. I just find it hilarious and it will never sound as good (mostly) and just opens themselves up for criticism etc. 

I get far more joy in listening to a creative and in some cases brave guitarist with the above in mind doing a loosely based solo around the original etc. :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    Recall a story from the past - Aussie TV program Terry Wogan chat show style - And artist had to perform on the show and they all had to do Stairway to Heaven in their own style, or say the style of the Beatles etc - Rolf Harris did it with his digerydo (how ever you spell it) - Many others tried their own format
  • Quite enjoyed it.  The obvious problem is I don't think any of them (and particularly Rick) would have played it like that if they didn't know the original solo inside out.  And the original is a very famous solo for a reason - the law of reversion to the mean means your chances of equalling it are minuscule, no matter how good a player you are and even if (like me) you're not the biggest Page fan on the planet.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103
    Recall a story from the past - Aussie TV program Terry Wogan chat show style - And artist had to perform on the show and they all had to do Stairway to Heaven in their own style, or say the style of the Beatles etc - Rolf Harris did it with his digerydo (how ever you spell it) - Many others tried their own format
    And he had a Top 10 single with it.  His version was definitely ripped off from Spirit.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    He was actually playing it on his Wobbleboard.
     :) 
  • EJ's solo was utter garbage imo, great player but it just sounded like mindless noodling. Never really been a fan of EVH but I really enjoyed Phil X's take on it and the Frampton version was just nice if a little boring. All far better than my sausage fingers could pull off though. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Phil X has done a few recreations of Ed's stuff, he gets it.
    Imagine how he feels having had this released a day or so before Ed dies?
    Weird choice, weird timing.
    Produce like a Pro released a vid a couple of days before as well, The genius of EVH, so I think there was some inside info going on.
    It didn't come as a complete shock to me either, and to look on the bright side- we will probably get to hear some new stuff soon, I do know Wolfgang has an album in the can.
    RIP EVH.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8360
    EJ's solo was utter garbage imo, great player but it just sounded like mindless noodling. Never really been a fan of EVH but I really enjoyed Phil X's take on it and the Frampton version was just nice if a little boring. All far better than my sausage fingers could pull off though. 
    You have saved me from writing what I thought - absolutely all of the above.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    This vid reminded me of a funny EVH story (I'm doing my best to remember it)

So Phil X borrowed the strat off Jeorge Tripps of Way Huge.  I've posted before about a talk I went to of Jeorge's as he is my favourite builder/designer by some distance!

So whilst MXR/Jeorge Tripps were designing pedals for the EVH sound, their 5150 pedal I think.  Mr Tripps was over at a rehearsal studio where EVH was rehearsing with all of his gear.  He was a huge fan and was quite nervous about the ordeal listening to EVH and what was wanted/needed and the sounds from the amp etc...  At one point he found himself alone in the room with all of the gear, and couldn't help himself but turn the amp on and hope no one notices, he said he played quite timid through nerves.

Less than a minute after turning the amp on, Eddie storms into the room and yells at him, if you are going to play it, at least play it properly.  Thrust the frankenstrat to him and puts him on the spot and watches him trying to play haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    edited October 2020
    Seems like people in the know were aware this was coming so the timing is no coincidence. 

Thanks to YouTube I haven't heard so many awful attempts at tapping since me in my bedroom aged 16.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11679
    Interesting idea but the original solo is so well-known that I found it difficult to listen to the others without hearing the original in my head as they were playing.