Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pickup Upgrade Overadvised?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    I think these days most stock pickups are probably serviceable now, things like Epiphone Probuckers are decent and not really worth changing unless you want something hotter or more modern. On cheaper guitars I usually find stock cheapo pickups to be a bit muddy and dull. I'd also swap out the pickups on a Fender, usually the Fender singlecoils are too scooped and twangy for my tastes where something thicker and middier is better for me.

I've spent way too much money messing about with pickups in my SG because internet wisdom dictated that the 490R/498T were bad pickups. Turns out they're not at all and are actually the best all rounder pickups I've had in it. Wish I never sold them so I could just put it back to stock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    monoamine said:
    My point was that a great player will sound good on a crap guitar straight out the factory. We have money and like nice things so I have no issue with people upgrading their pickups, but the difference it actually makes to how we sound to others is minimal.

Someone once told Chet Atkins, "Man, that guitar sure sounds good!"
    Chet set the guitar down on a chair and asked him, "Ok, how does it sound now?"
    soma1975 said:
    Then presumably the 1st guy punched Chet Atkins for being a smartarse and not accepting the compliment. 
    It does sound a bit arrogant, in print, but I'm sure it was said with some gentle humour. :)  From interviews and TV appearances I've seen, Chet Atkins seemed like a real old fashioned gentleman - probably quietly confident in his own abilities, but modest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Tbh, most of my guitars have had aftermarket pickups fitted. To my ears, they have been improved by the process.
    If you are happy with the stock pickups then that’s cool. It really depends on what you want from the instrument and the style of music you play. 

But in general, I don’t think upgrades are over advised. And honestly, I think some are too quick to criticise other people’s choices.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    soma1975 said:
    Then presumably the 1st guy punched Chet Atkins for being a smartarse and not accepting the compliment. 
    Aye I've heard that story a dozen times and it's daft. If he had another person who could play the guitar well play it and it didn't have the same sound he'd have a point but no one was ever saying the guitar itself made the music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 498
    I think when you’re taking a cheap electronic setup for a ‘good quality’ one - so wiring, pots, caps and pups swapped out - then there’s a noticeable difference every time. But if I were to swap my potted custombuckers on my r8 for a pair of potted boutique brand then the difference will be marginal at best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Lonewolff said:
    You've obviously never heard a single cut Harley Benton with upgraded pickups. They would wipe the floor with any Les Paul on this planet.

That joke is getting older than US presidents.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Bigsby for president in 2025.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I wouldnt buy new pick ups for a new guitar the second it came in. My most recent guitar however, will be getting a pick up change mainly for the fact the ones in there now I cant stand despite trying them for 2/3 months now. But everyone hates EMGs

• FYI, I fitted the Alumitones I bought last week. I know it's the honeymoon period, but I honestly think they're the best pickups I've ever used. Zero noise, and they sound like a cross between the power of humbuckers and the bite of single coils. Which, coincidentally, was exactly what I hoped they'd be.

Maybe a demo coming later in the week, if the video I shot earlier worked.
    <space for hire>
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Jetfire said:
    everyone hates EMGs
    I don’t. Not all of them. Not all of the time.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    @digitalscream I lied in your Wanted thread, I had a set of Q Tuner pick ups which I swapped for some Lace pick ups. 

This was a mess around I did when they were in my Ibanez MMM1 ..