Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't like Les Pauls

What's Hot
There. I said it.

Until recently I owned a nice Korean 90's Les Paul, which played better than most Gibson's I've ever tried, however I never liked it. I don't like the tone, the fat neck profiles, the lack of trem, the pickup selector, the fact that the headstock breaks off if you look at it funny, etc. Really no redeeming qualities whatsoever for me!

Anyway, after having sold the Epi, I decided that as a guitarist I should really own a Les Paul so started GASing, as you do. After watching the Anderton's Les Paul Special Gibson vs Epiphone test, and seeing everyone rave about them, I grabbed a TV yellow Epiphone Les Paul Special thinking maybe the P90's would be the thing that changed my mind. Nope. Whilst I certainly prefer the tone out of this, probably because I can get some quack from the middle position, I just don't like the feel at all. Fat glossy necks, no thanks. I guess I'll move it on. Ho hum.

Feels like saying you don't like either Strats or Les Pauls is taboo as a guitarist... cathartic to admit it though - I won't waste my time trying again. Oh who am I kidding, I expect I'll buy another one in 6 months.

Anyone else want to confess?
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    I've gone back to my short scale gibbo style guitars after making and playing recent fender type builds

My Les Paul just feels like home, same as juniors etc, I absolutely love my goldtop with bigsby too, I think it's the neck and scale length 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    edited November 2020
    They're not everyone's cup of tea, which is fair enough. But if you're mostly judging Les Pauls based on Epiphones, then it seems you are playing the wrong ones to make a fair assessment and most certainly missing out on all the good stuff out there, some of which you might happen to like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I’m not a massive fan of Les Paul standards but a junior feels like home. Try a few more and see what you think.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Really heavy ukuleles. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like them. They're on a load of great records and play and sound great. If you don't like em that's cool. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I love Les Pauls, a Custom preferably. I don’t have one right now though.
  • I will admit that I've also never liked les pauls and always enjoyed expressing my distaste for them however I recently decided it was unfair to pass judgment without actually having owned one for a while. So I picked one up on the cheap and have to say it's a lovely thing and brings something different out of my playing compared to when I play a strat! 
    Problem is now I need/want a semi as well!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    If you do try another one, make sure it’s from the ‘Worn’ series range of instruments.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIMIS264/Les-Paul-Classic-Worn/Worn-Purple
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    They also have a habit of not being able to stay in tune. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    I love them. And I am completely in love with the R8 I have. I love them even as a piece of art never mind a musical instrument. Every time I look at mine I think about the history of the guitar and how revolutionary it was and how important it has been in the history of music. (How sad! haha!)

I love the chunky neck, the thickness of the body, the curves, the knobs. Even the weight. Granted I am a bedroom guitarist and so play sitting down and a lot of the issues with weight etc doesn't bother me. And I love my set up of the R8 through a Vox AC10. Dial in the hotcake and get it at just a slight breakup and it is pure sex.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    Gibson's are what sound and feel like home to me. I started on Les Pauls and now just play an SG. I love the sound and sustain of a Les Paul but it's hard to go back to such a big lump when you're used to an SG! I also quite fancy a Junior or Special with P90s.

I don't really like Fenders, though have been coming round to the idea of them (teles) more recently. The strat body feels massive on me (I'm about 5'8") and hangs awkwardly. The bridges feel too flat and low profile, I like my TOM to anchor to. Normal singlecoils sound crap to me too, I need P90s or humbuckers - tele bridge pickup is ok though.

You should try a Gibson with a rounded or slim taper profile though, Epiphone finishes and neck profiles are definitely not as nice feeling.
  • I fell out if love with them for years and became obsessed with 335s, but recently got a great R7, and the love is back 
  • When I was a kid I *so* wanted a Les Paul like Mark Knopfler's, but these days I have no interest in them at all. My main guitar when I was gigging was an LTD EC1000, but these days I'm very much a superstrat kind of guy.

I don't like actual Strats, though: I definitely need a bridge humbucker for a start, and I hate the position of the volume knob. The only Strat I've ever owned was a Squier Contemporary Active, which had a repositioned volume knob.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited November 2020
    I like them in other people’s hands but I simply don’t get on with them. The geometry somehow feels all wrong and I feel all cramped up trying to play one. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I love my 1990 LP Custom. Nuff said. ;)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Im after a modern version that fixes all the flaws (heal/upper fret access and weight) - im tempted to try a PRS Mccarty - is there anything else that comes close to the sound but with better ergonomics? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    I wasn’t fussed, then I got one and now I’m fussed. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I don’t like sprouts.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    I don’t like fat necks, but not all Les Pauls have them - in fact the modern “50s” necks are much bigger than any of the real 50s Gibsons I’ve owned. I also don’t like the steep neck angle on most modern Les Pauls, but some don’t have it. Not a fan of mahogany necks, cherry sunburst finishes, binding, four knobs or Les Paul pickguards either... but a 50s Custom is still a nice thing, either with the Alnico/P90 or three humbuckers. I may own another one day, or maybe not - you don’t “need” one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I don’t like sprouts.
    Even in a custom colour?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)