Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't like Les Pauls

What's Hot

Comments

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 373
    edited November 2020
    @mrkb ;I have a pretty decent Gibson Les Paul Standard, purchased primarily because I do love the sound of LPs. I knew it would never be my primary guitar because the ergonomics are, well, what they are, but I wanted one regardless. I went through quite a number before I found a good one (some were so bad they shouldn't have been allowed out of the factory). I had it set up by Feline which improved its playability and tuning stability noticeably and I upgraded pickups as I found the Burstbucker Pros too harsh. It improved further. However, the ergonomics kept it in its stand more than most of my other guitars. I wanted that LP sound, but in a guitar that I enjoyed the feel of as well as its sound.

Long story short, I now own a Feline Lion built to my own specs. The body has a slight belly cut, which improves comfort no end, and both it and the neck have a satin finish. The neck heal is a work of art and upper fret access is easy. The guitar is light and balances beautifully (something my LP certainly does not). Tuning stability is exceptional. It's a joy to play and I genuinely find it hard to fault. It wasn't cheap, but it was definitely cheaper than a new Gibson Custom Shop model and I would wager it's better in many ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    I've had a Les Paul classic since 2004. Its never been my only electric. It is what it is. Sometimes you just want that bridge pickup clang.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I don't like Les Pauls either - let's start a club!

I've always kept my PRS Bernie Marsden which is basically a LP copy but the body has been contoured and slightly modified to be more comfortable than a real LP. But earlier today I picked it up for a very brief shot and even that is quite uncomfortable for me.

Have to admit, I'm genuinely surprised that Les Pauls are as popular as they are.
  • Imo you're probably better sticking to guitars you do like then. I guess I'm just funny that way. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Imo you're probably better sticking to guitars you do like then. I guess I'm just funny that way. 
    Well aye and we should stick to listening to the music we like, supporting the team we support and voting for the politicians we hate least.

But social events would be pretty boring if no one ever discussed their opinions.
  • I'm not a big LP guy. I've tried really hard and I love them when played by others, but they don't usually work for me. Gibson me literally almost any other Gibson and I'm very happy - CS-336, SG, ES-330, ES-335, Explorer. All the double-cuts, all the time. I reckon I'd enjoy a DC Special a lot.

I still have a feeling that I'd love to own one really great Les Paul one day but only if I find one that really jumps out at me when I play it. My CS-336 covers 98% of anything I'd ever want to do with a Les Paul anyway, while weighing less and being far less common. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    I end up playing all sorts of less-than-perfect guitars from an ergonomic perspective, because I've come across an example which has a little magic about it so I ignore the petty details. 

All you've actually told us is that you don't like Korean or Chinese Les Paul copies, but one day you may find a real one which renders the question of where the pickup switch is located totally meaningless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    I want to like them.  I like how they look, how they sound, they're all over some of my favourite songs etc but they just feel wrong to me.  The closest that I've come to owning one is a PRS Chris Robertson (which has a shorter 24.5" scale length), but it doesn't see much action.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    When people say that LPs feel wrong - what do they mean exactly? What does “right” feel like?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    p90fool said:

All you've actually told us is that you don't like Korean or Chinese Les Paul copies, but one day you may find a real one which renders the question of where the pickup switch is located totally meaningless.
    This. For all the things I don’t like about Les Pauls, the best guitar I’ve ever played was one.

LPManic said:
    When people say that LPs feel wrong - what do they mean exactly? What does “right” feel like?
    The steep backwards neck angle feels awkward to me. Right is like a Telecaster, with the neck parallel to the body.

I don’t find a problem with some of the other things often mentioned though - the lack of contouring, top-end access and balance when playing sitting down are all fine for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don’t like sprouts.
    You don’t like.. sprouts..?
     :o 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    For a long time, I never played a Les Paul. Just never happened. I played loads of LP style guitars and liked them. First time I played a real LP was at a jam night. My Washburn Idol developed a problem, mid song, and a guy handed me his Gibson LP. I hated it. Heavy and cumbersome. It felt like I was playing a paving slab. That one impression lasted for years. I pretty much had no interest in the real thing, after that.
    Then the amazon blow out of 2016 came, and there were cheap as chips Gibson Les Pauls to be had, so, figuring there was nothing to lose, I bought a nice black one with P90s, and I loved it. I still do. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

This. For all the things I don’t like about Les Pauls, the best guitar I’ve ever played was one.

LPManic said:
    The steep backwards neck angle feels awkward to me. Right is like a Telecaster, with the neck parallel to the body.

I don’t find a problem with some of the other things often mentioned though - the lack of contouring, top-end access and balance when playing sitting down are all fine for me.
    What is the neck angle generally like on 70s LPs @ICBM ;

I briefly had a late 70s SG and the neck angle on that was much flatter? and felt like a Telecaster.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Fully paid up member of the Les Paul fan club. Even when it came to a bolt on neck, flat topped Samick Les Paul of sorts back when I was a student.

I will admit though that on the other side of things, I find strats a lot of work. I can appreciate what one brings to the table, the sound of a good one etc. but it's effort to be in the right place, getting the right sound from it etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Iamnobody said:

What is the neck angle generally like on 70s LPs @ICBM ;

I briefly had a late 70s SG and the neck angle on that was much flatter? and felt like a Telecaster.
    Variable! But usually steeper.

Some 70s SGs actually have totally parallel (raised, like a Rickenbacker) necks, and they feel wrong too! Even though I love Ricks...

The correct angle for a Gibson is, probably unsurprisingly, as flat as the body shape and bridge height will naturally allow, but no flatter. Many 50s/60s originals and quite a lot of Historics are actually like that, but they just don’t seem to be able to get it consistently right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LPManic said:
    Pretty much any doublecut is best for me. 

I'm ok with Teles, but the strap button position, thick body, cramped cutaway, switch position and weight all make it too much of a compromise most of the time. IMO the Strat, SG, CS-336 and Jazzmaster are all streets ahead. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    I think the OP really hasn't tried enough Les Pauls to come to that conclusion. He states that they have chunky necks - I have had two Les Paul's that had quite skinny necks. You just need to look for something which says "60s style neck" - they are a world away from the 50s style baseball bats that many of them have. 

FWIW - I don't like many Strats, but I do have one that I like. It's a matter of trying as many as you can, and then choosing something that works for you. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:

I like the back angle it feels like it wraps around and puts the neck in a more comfortable position to me. Fenders can almost feel too flat and stick out at an angle which feels too far to the left to me. More so than an SG which is actually the comfiest guitar style for me when hung in the right way on a strap - more to the right and on the hip with the neck angled up. Feels very compact and easy.

The only LP "ergonomics" thing I'm not a massive fan of is the hard edge digging into your forearm when playing stood up. PRS seem to do a better job of this but the rest of their body shape is kind of ugly, it's like a melted Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 186
    I also picked up the TV Yellow Epiphone as my first Les Paul, and on the whole, I like it. It takes dirt really well, and the chunky neck is comfy in the hand, particularly for barre-heavy rhythm playing. Resonates like a charm and stays in tune well. Looks inspiring too, which is important in terms of getting picked up.

That said, it’s also made me appreciate my old modern US Tele more. The simplicity of the single tone/volume control instead of having to scrabble around with four pots (which are a bit all-or-nothing on the Epi). The better upper fret access, despite both being single cuts. The thinner, 9.5” radius modern C neck letting me do some stretchy moves that my tiny hands struggle with on the LPS, despite the shorter scale. The shorter drop between the strings and the body, letting me anchor my little finger without losing much mobility (I know this is arguably bad form, but impossible to shake).

They're both staying for now, but I'd probably consider changing the LPS for a Toronado or more Fendery option in future, perhaps a Toronado or a Telecaster Deluxe.
  • I have 3 Les Pauls. A standard, a studio and a junior. All sound great and I feel comfortable playing them.