Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't like Les Pauls

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    thegummy said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play? And is it mostly clean sounds?
    I'm guessing he plays *both* kinds...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    I might be the only member here who prefers the middle (both pickups in circuit) option on Les Pauls.  I can adjust the volumes and tone controls to get that sound which fits into the overall group sound.
    Not at all - I use the both-pickups sound about three-quarters of the time.

However, I have no use for the separate volume and tone controls, and find them annoying - for me, there are only three obviously distinguishable sounds... with the pickups perfectly balanced, and with one of them inaudible. There's just no useful range of the "blend" thing that people go on about (unless the pickups are out of phase), so for the balance I just use two pickups that match properly and for the other two sounds I use the switch. The problem is when you want to turn down, you have to move both volume controls by the same amount to keep the balance, which is a faff.

The one that avoids this is the three-pickup Custom, which has the 'middle' position (bridge and middle pickups) running through the bridge controls only, so there is no blending. That's one of the reasons I like those, even though the combinations are limited.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    I've never bothered with the middle position and blending with the volumes either, just ends up being varying shades of meh. I like separate volumes to allow instant clean-up though. Usually just use my neck pickup for clean and switch over to the bridge for everything else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Each to their own. I play Les Pauls and love them. Also play strats, teles, jazzmasters,ES, acoustics etc and love those too. If you don't get on with them then so be it. Finding what you don't like is as valuable as finding what you do. :)

I find them very versatile but also they often aren't that way from factory.  I've spent a while tuning the pickups and controls in mine. They play great when setup but often need to be tuned for the pickups/electronic.  I go with 11s on Gibsons which adds some weight to the sound but also like the tension that provides.

All of my LPs have changed pickups and wiring which mostly revolves around lower output pickups, better taper pots(500k or above),50s wiring and a change in caps (.015 neck, .022 bridge). They are very clear sounding after this and find this gives lots of variation in sounds from both bridge/neck and the middle position lets me dial in how much "treble" and "bass" I want . Always on the controls to vary the sound.  Gibson in the past has given 300k pots (or less) and the taper hasn't been good so have sounded very dark.

If I had to stick with only one guitar it would be a Les Paul (my r8 to be precise!)

From the OP it seems like the Epiphone Les Paul Special (with p90s) has rather tainted your opinion. Yes p90s are Les Pauls (I have a r6) but the right feeling LP with decent wiring/pickups sounds amazing. I've not heard the Epi Specials but would consider them a mod project from the outset for both wiring and pickups.

All good fun seeing what works and doesn't :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    OK. Thanks.
  • It's ok not to be into Les Paul's . Not everyone digs the pure chunkinrss if tone. Plus it's always good to have more female players on the instrument.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • It's ok not to be into Les Paul's . Not everyone digs the pure chunkinrss if tone. Plus it's always good to have more female players on the instrument.

You're right, adding this one back to the pool of available instruments is one more for those female players!!

You're right, adding this one back to the pool of available instruments is one more for those female players!!
    :lol: 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play? And is it mostly clean sounds?

I wish I knew what this means.

P.S. Lately I've actually been spending a bit of time in the middle position of 2 humbuckers cause I remember reading your post that you use it most of the time.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

P.S. Lately I've actually been spending a bit of time in the middle position of 2 humbuckers cause I remember reading your post that you use it most of the time.

Country and Western?

But that could be extended to...... (shudder) Americana.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

Country AND Western ( from the Blues Brothers film)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    thegummy said:

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    For me the ESP/LTD Eclipse is the best modern evolution of the LP. The USA ones and some of the LTDs have a sculpted heel with full thickness body. 
    Going up the price scale, there are Feline, PRS Singlecuts, Knaggs, Nik Huber and Patrick James Eggle of course.  And probably others I'm forgetting.  There are things I like about all of them - but always small details I would change!
    Apart from Feline most of the more high end options just look like shapeless blobs to me. Much as I like PRS I don't think much to their singlecut shape, looks wise at least. ESP is just different enough and looks great I think, not just for metal either.

• mrkb said:
    Im after a modern version that fixes all the flaws (heal/upper fret access and weight) - im tempted to try a PRS Mccarty - is there anything else that comes close to the sound but with better ergonomics? 
    @mrkb With @richman6100 - check out Felines LP's - this is the back of mine with upper fret access and a tummy cut:

Front looks pretty good too:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    TTBZ said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    For me the ESP/LTD Eclipse is the best modern evolution of the LP. The USA ones and some of the LTDs have a sculpted heel with full thickness body. 
    Going up the price scale, there are Feline, PRS Singlecuts, Knaggs, Nik Huber and Patrick James Eggle of course.  And probably others I'm forgetting.  There are things I like about all of them - but always small details I would change!
    Apart from Feline most of the more high end options just look like shapeless blobs to me. Much as I like PRS I don't think much to their singlecut shape, looks wise at least. ESP is just different enough and looks great I think, not just for metal either.

I don't disagree - it's mostly the body shapes which don't quite work for me.  I don't like the treble side horn shape of either the Huber Orca or the Eggle Macon, the PRS Singlecut shape just isn't as nice as their doublecuts... and as for Knaggs, although they seem very well made I just can not imagine myself playing one, all their designs look... wrong. :(

The ESPs do look good.  But I know I'd hate the neck shapes.
  • @webrthomson ; That, there, is rather special. Love it.

Thanks Jonathan and the boys at Feline exceeded every expectation I had – properly amazing guitars! ;)

Thanks Jonathan and the boys at Feline exceeded every expectation I had – properly amazing guitars! ;)

Pretty much my experience too.  :)
  • LPManic said:
    When people say that LPs feel wrong - what do they mean exactly? What does “right” feel like?
    Like watching your wife kiss another man, I would imagine.

I like Les Paul's. My wife kisses me.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:

Those are fit AF.

Bye!