Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yngwie...

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11681
    I loved Yngwie's early stuff, it was like nothing I'd heard before except in my head. The fact that he had to re-learn how to play after his car crash, that takes some doing. 

However, he seems to be one of those musicians who is best served by having someone in his band who will tell him not to be a dick.

Someone who will prevent him from unleashing the fucking fury. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    scrumhalf said:
    However, he seems to be one of those musicians who is best served by having someone in his band who will tell him not to be a dick.

Yeah, some of his best stuff was when he was working with people he respected, like Graham Bonnet, Barriemore Barlow on the first album or even Joe Lynn Turner on Odyssey.  I can't say I've heard much of his recent work.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I thought that was really funny - he seemed to be having a good time with the audience and the bit where he flipped a plec to the keyboard player was worth the entrance fee!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    No fucks given – I like it. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I kind of have a soft spot for him as in rock guitar there was Hendrix, then VH then him really in terms of new techniques. He was an incredible player but just lives in his own world where it's always 1982. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited November 2020
    Yngwie is a legend. 

Live in Leningrad was legendary. 

A whole bunch of his albums are indeed very musical.

None of us can hold a candle to him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2020
    Yngwie was a legend. 

True, true, true, true

that was pretty awful though!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    edited November 2020
    I'm wondering if he's got hearing problems how.

His audience certainly will have by now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I only watched brief clips but his playing sounded ok. I bet the sound was a lot better in person. He definitely fell from grace for a little while but I try not to criticise anybody even if they just get up to play a couple chords. Not being arsey about that. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    In Rising Force he's not even playing the riffs properly, and it seems like he's out of time. He just looks like he's got an attitude of not really caring compared with the first albums.
  • Yngwie is a legend. 

Agreed... 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    He's an amazing guitarist, seen him live and have some records, but I can't get past the fact that he's a total knob.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    I saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham some years ago. He turned up late, blazed through 4 songs then buggered off. Didn't speak to any one whilst there. A total tit.

Jennifer batten on the other hand was great. Played a great set and stood outside the stage area signing things and talking to people. She sat through Yngwies set too. Quite a humble person, total opposite of Malmsteen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Stevepage said:
    I saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham some years ago. He turned up late, blazed through 4 songs then buggered off. Didn't speak to any one whilst there. A total tit.

Jennifer batten on the other hand was great. Played a great set and stood outside the stage area signing things and talking to people. She sat through Yngwies set too. Quite a humble person, total opposite of Malmsteen.
    I met Jennifer Batten at a Birmingham guitar show maybe the same one and she was great and very pleasant to talk to. The trouble with Yngwie is he needs a good songwriter/stranger to sort the pointless noodling into proper listenable music. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    That's exactly what you'd expect from Yngwie Malmsteen live. Like going to a <insert generic blues guitarist> gig and moaning about all the plinky plonky pentatonic nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I mean, it's Yngwie, that's what he does. Granted, not his best performance, but then again, the man's nearly 60.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He deserves the applause for being able to move in those trousers. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I'm sure he could be a great player if he concentrated less on showing off and more on proper structured songs.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited November 2020
    It’s not the sort of thing I’d go and listen to. 

However. 

The two solos in Dragonfly are utterly divine. 

2:30 and 3:40

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Fez said:
    Stevepage said:

I met Jennifer Batten at a Birmingham guitar show maybe the same one and she was great and very pleasant to talk to. The trouble with Yngwie is he needs a good songwriter/stranger to sort the pointless noodling into proper listenable music. 
    Which he's certainly been missing the last 30 years!