Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yngwie...

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Sassafras said:
    He's never taken the 'less is more' concept to heart.

He's famous for rejecting it outright.

beed84 said:
    Like others have said, I think he’s awesome and admire him too. Let’s face it, his technique is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, if I could play anywhere near the stuff he could play, even just those runs before he came out on stage, I would be donned in leather, pouting, and not really giving a shit either. 

I can understand that. Great tone (for what he plays), smooth vibrato, incredible speed and fluency. Whenever I hear Yngwie I do genuinely think "I wish I could play like that".

Then I think "but if I could, I wouldn't".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
     Whenever I hear Yngwie I do genuinely think "I wish I could play like that".
    Then I think "but if I could, I wouldn't".
    And yet with the exception of Paul Gilbert, they all bloody do, all the bloody time!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I kind of have a soft spot for him as in rock guitar there was Hendrix, then VH then him really in terms of new techniques. He was an incredible player but just lives in his own world where it's always 1982. 
    A world where it’s always 1982 would be paradise 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Nerine said:
    soma1975 said:
    Given that he hasn't really evolved from what was already quite a niche style in the 80's I think he's doing quite well to keep going really. He seems to be making a fair effort for the people that come to see him. As people said already, he's what? five years from his free bus pass? Good effort!  Not my cup of tea but I'm sure his fans enjoy it.

Weird really. Vai is the same age isn't he, and yet he's still innovating and changing up his style. 
    Steve’s chops are lacking these days too. He seems to have become sloppy when doing anything technical. He openly admits he can’t play like he used to, though. Which is very honest and noble of him. 

Hence the innovation I guess. He hasn’t stayed the same, that’s for sure. 

I have a lot more respect for Vai than I do Yngwie. 

His rendition of For The Love Of God live at Expo 92 in Sevilla (seriously YouTube it, everyone) is IT. 
    I remember seeing it on the telly and it sent shivers down my spine at the age of 9 (I had been playing guitar for two years at this point). It does when I watch it now, too. 
    Cozy Powell on drums. Stu Hamm on bass, I believe, too. 

Every other version (Steve himself has done) of this song sounds incorrect to me. 

At that point I did not know the guitar could sound like that. 

Inspirational. 
    I have that on VHS video somewhere and yeah it was amazing,  and I'm not a huge fan of his. I watched it again and again. The best version IMO 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    He was a bit annoyed with his performance of it though - he makes a few fluffs in the middle section. At the end of FTLOG he mouths OK. I don’t think he quite got into the zone with it. I agree though, it’s incredible. I love the twiddling at the end.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    edited November 2020
    Nerine said:
    soma1975 said:
    Given that he hasn't really evolved from what was already quite a niche style in the 80's I think he's doing quite well to keep going really. He seems to be making a fair effort for the people that come to see him. As people said already, he's what? five years from his free bus pass? Good effort!  Not my cup of tea but I'm sure his fans enjoy it.

Weird really. Vai is the same age isn't he, and yet he's still innovating and changing up his style. 
    Steve’s chops are lacking these days too. He seems to have become sloppy when doing anything technical. He openly admits he can’t play like he used to, though. Which is very honest and noble of him. 

Hence the innovation I guess. He hasn’t stayed the same, that’s for sure. 

I have a lot more respect for Vai than I do Yngwie. 

His rendition of For The Love Of God live at Expo 92 in Sevilla (seriously YouTube it, everyone) is IT. 
    I remember seeing it on the telly and it sent shivers down my spine at the age of 9 (I had been playing guitar for two years at this point). It does when I watch it now, too. 
    Cozy Powell on drums. Stu Hamm on bass, I believe, too. 

Every other version (Steve himself has done) of this song sounds incorrect to me. 

At that point I did not know the guitar could sound like that. 

Inspirational. 
    Seville and the one with the orchestra for me.

I don't think his chops are lacking, I think as he's aged he has moved away from 10000mph and is more interested in interesting phrasing and whatnot now. 

EDIT: That jacket with the hole cut out for his tattoo is hilarious. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I love that the gig is apparently in the Marshall factory.

Apart from that, I'd rather listen to modern jazz, and that's saying something. Utter nonsense.

• Epsilon said:
    That whole wall of Marshalls thing is pretty cringe at this point.
    Never 
  • JeroJero Frets: 3
    I saw him live around 7 years ago. Was just like that...poor technique, poor tone, etc. Not enjoyable at all. I am still a fan though and consider him a legend.

I think the albums No Parole from Rock'n Roll (83) and Rising Force (84) are legendary albums guitar-wise (IMO). His tone was awesome, technique was flawless and the phrasing was great - not to mention how innovative both were.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    edited November 2020
    Well, I decided to have a Malmsteen marathon over the past couple of days. His earlier stuff from Trilogy to Eclipse is far better IMO, but his later stuff is bloody good too. Either way, 20 years on his playing still inspires me and makes me feel like a teenager who wants to play the guitar again, even if I do play blues and jazzy stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom