Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yngwie...

What's Hot

Comments

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
    edited November 2020
    I have a theory that he's lost most of his hearing, so can't really keep track of the band. I saw him live, expecting the worst and got it. I did get to see him, but it was terrible.

Completely out of time with the band, and the band were doing all they could to keep in sync with him.

I came up with this theory after seen Paul Gilbert, who is very open about his hearing loss. He had to stop when he couldn't hear the bass drum - we all waited while the sound guy fixed it. I think either at the gig or on a video I saw later he mentioned he needed the bass drum to keep time, otherwise he couldn't lock in, also that the band were aware of this and would adjust if Paul was a little fast/slow.

I really enjoy some of Yngwie's earlier stuff - it's masterful. 

When I saw him a couple of years back, it was a bit of a spectacle (in a good way), but a bit sad the band looked uncomfortable.

Having read his autobiography (and at least one biography) he's an odd chap ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hearing loss for musicians is so incredibly sad.

I honestly don't think I could live if I couldn't hear music.

Everyone should wear ear protectors at gigs and clubs but I think a lot of people are too self conscious. Once it becomes common enough, the rest will all follow.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    thegummy said:
    Everyone should wear ear protectors at gigs and clubs but I think a lot of people are too self conscious. Once it becomes common enough, the rest will all follow.
    It's a very long time since I've been to a gig, but I started wearing ear plugs after going to see Judas Priest years ago.  I never got the proper custom-fitted ones, but I would if I was a regular gig-goer (or gig-player - highly unlikely).
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    I saw Yngwie years ago at Shepherd's Bush. It was ok, but exhausting after a while. I think he smashed a Strat copy at the end, and did the usual silly buger guitar hero stuff. 

At the end, Jim Marshall came out in his wheelchair. Probably one of his last public appearances before he passed. 

That vid isn't very good, is it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 638
    He makes me laugh !!
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    It's a very long time since I've been to a gig, but I started wearing ear plugs after going to see Judas Priest years ago.  I never got the proper custom-fitted ones, but I would if I was a regular gig-goer (or gig-player - highly unlikely).
    If I was in a band that I really cared about and gigged regularly I would get custom fitted IEMs for sure.

The custom fitting would be particularly good for me cause one of my ear canals is at an angle and the other isn't.
  • tabanotabano Frets: 113
    Yngwie is a terrific player,
    there was a before and after him,
    inspired a hell of a lot of players and still,
    tiring to see and hear live admittedly and with an ego the size of a castle it seems,
    who cares tbh,
    are we now going to judge players for other things than their music?

tabano said:

are we now going to judge players for other things than their music?
    Most people do - that's why most successful musicians aren't average looking guys with cropped hair wearing a fleece and jogging bottoms.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Gary Glitter was judged for other things than his music.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Gary Glitter was judged for other things than his music.
    Should have already been in jail for the music
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never really understood the antipathy towards Yngwie. His music's not to everyone's taste, but there's no denying his influence on rock guitar, for better or worse. On a personal level, he's clearly more than a little eccentric, but the world would be a less interesting place without him. That being said, his timing was absolutely awful in that clip.
  • I'm still staggered at the ferocious pace of his picking despite barely any movement and how fast he can accelerate from 1 note to 1 million notes.  Very impressive.   It must be really hard to play such complicated pieces whilst running around in the dark surrounded by smoke.  No wonder he wasn't 100% accurate like in the studio setting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    Without a doubt he's a great player and some of his stuff in the 80s was amazing...I just think that type of thing is of a age ....it sounds dated now in my opinion 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Nah, I just had lunch. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I've never really understood the antipathy towards Yngwie. His music's not to everyone's taste, but there's no denying his influence on rock guitar, for better or worse. On a personal level, he's clearly more than a little eccentric, but the world would be a less interesting place without him. That being said, his timing was absolutely awful in that clip.

I don't know - what has been his influence?

The times he says he's never listened to Ritchie Blackmore are funny, though.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    He did one clip where he was showing off his room of guitars and they were all just leaning several deep against the wall; that was where I could see that he could not be completely serious.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    prowla said:
    I've never really understood the antipathy towards Yngwie. His music's not to everyone's taste, but there's no denying his influence on rock guitar, for better or worse. On a personal level, he's clearly more than a little eccentric, but the world would be a less interesting place without him. That being said, his timing was absolutely awful in that clip.

I don't know - what has been his influence?

Large swathes of the Power Metal genre, probably thousands of bands.
  • prowla said:
    He did one clip where he was showing off his room of guitars and they were all just leaning several deep against the wall; that was where I could see that he could not be completely serious.
    You sure that wasn't a @HarrySeven video =) ?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    You sure that wasn't a @HarrySeven video =) ?

Lol! :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    I lasted until 1:39 with the video... To think that I saw him on the Odyssey Tour with Joe Lynn Turner back in 1988... Sure, he’s aged and piled on the pounds since then - but then so have I. He’s still a guitar hero to me whatever and I sort of respect him for sticking to his guns and not changing. Even his dickishness is part of his charm somehow. I was told once way back in the 1980’s by a musician and writer I respect who had interviewed Yngwie that he had found him to be a nice guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom