Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Seriously deluded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - SOLD - UPDATE

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Sold for £1800 + fees so £2232 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There are guys out there for whom an extra grand here or there isn’t a big deal. No more than someone going to the shops for a litre of milk would walk an extra mile to a shop that has it for 10 cent/pence less.

There is also an element of people wanting to win in bidding situations. Who here hasn’t timed their last bid on an EBay item to pip another bidder by a couple of cents/pence? That feeling of elation. Well sometimes people pay over the odds for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Sold for £1800 + fees so £2232 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Even if that's someone who wasn't aware that there were fees on top - I've come across a few people who didn't realise that and as a result paid too much at auctions - that does bear out what I thought.

These guitars are definitely much more desirable than they were even a few years ago. Remember when we all thought that late-70s Fenders were junk that were never going to be 'vintage' or worth anything? We were wrong... at least about the last part :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven’t played one of those Strats in years, but I remember when they were new and were flagship models and being pretty underwhelmed by a lot of them I played, not bad but lacking in wow factor. By comparison most of the Fender CS guitars I have played have instantly struck me as really nice guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    I almost went to bid on this as I quite fancied it, but as you say the bids before the auction where already over £1k - which with fee's made it way too expensive the fact that you saw it at over £1.4k + fee's wow.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Check out the xhefri page...he's obsessed with 80's/90's strats...and to be fair, they do look cool...
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    darcym said:
    I almost went to bid on this as I quite fancied it, but as you say the bids before the auction where already over £1k - which with fee's made it way too expensive the fact that you saw it at over £1.4k + fee's wow.

I like them especially earlier models as the neck is often slightly deeper - I own a Strat Plus Deluxe - About 1 year older than the version in the sale but still in Yellow - Pro re-fret by @SteveRobinson and IMO it is now a serious player - Not for sale - But that pricing that has thrown me out - As I mentioned earlier maybe I'm out on values but even so that price IMO is to steep
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    Just seen a Gary Moore Signature Les Paul go for £5208 including commission. I need to go and lie down in a dark room...
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I went to one of these auctions, it's only a 40 minute drive away a few years ago. My friend was interested in a few bits and bobs. He had calculated his maximum bids on items he was interested in (with the fees added etc). Every item went for stupid money. 

I've no interest in going back, its just a bidding war for run of the mill stuff. My boss was interested in a bernie Marsden piece of memorabilia, even he said "a lot of it is junk, an old sports holdall with cables in". 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    March said:
    Just seen a Gary Moore Signature Les Paul go for £5208 including commission. I need to go and lie down in a dark room...
    Tell me about it - A gigging version as well and not a case queen - I looked at it - Had it down as a potential £3K to sell in store - TOPS 
  • Insanity indeed. Has anyone got a link where we can see the hammer prices?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    tFB Trader
    Insanity indeed. Has anyone got a link where we can see the hammer prices?
    I'll have a look - I might only have them now via my secure log in option - As otherwise I'm not sure they are listed for a few days - Unless anyone else knows otherwise via a link
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I used to think you couldn’t get a bargain at GH. Now you’re lucky to get London retail prices 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited December 2020
    Hammer prices are usually up a week or so after the auction and tend to stay up for reference for instance I’m selling a mm4 pedal I bought there 3 years ago and their listing is here https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/21/lot/8152?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F21%3Fpage%3D1%26view%3Dgrid%26sale%3Dundefined%26catm%3Dany%26order%3Dorder_num%26xclosed%3Dno%26featured%3Dno%26lotnum%3D338 

(New way of bumping!)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Andy79 said:
    I used to think you couldn’t get a bargain at GH. 
    A funny situation in many ways, if I've read your comment correctly - Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not so sure it is the job of GH to offer a bargain - If I was the owner of a collection, represented a deceased estate, or just wanted to sell on a few pieces, I would not wish to offer them to an outlet that could only acquire me 'bargain' prices 

The plus point of such an auction is where else in the UK can you find 400 used guitars for sale today - Other than via e-bay, gumtree etc - At least many of us can check out such stock before we make a bid - Unlike the usual sites

But I still think there are some prices out there that are lower than other outlets - As an example a mint condition, left hand AM Strat with case for £650 plus fees 
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    edited December 2020
    I've had a couple of bargains from GH. A Yamaha 12-string Acoustic plus Hiscox case, and a Blade Texas Strat (Jap build) which has proven to be an excellent guitar. I also acquired an PRS EG3 from a friend that had bought it from HG at the price he paid.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    anyway @guitars4you what's worse, paying over the odds for a guitar you want, or overusing exclamation marks? =)

Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind. — Terry Pratchett

When you started this post with 26 exclamation marks, I picture you running round the house smashing it up, snorting. :3

tFB Trader
    MikeS said:
    anyway @guitars4you what's worse, paying over the odds for a guitar you want, or overusing exclamation marks? =)

Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind. — Terry Pratchett

When you started this post with 26 exclamation marks, I picture you running round the house smashing it up, snorting. :3

sorry !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was watching a few bits in the auction today and couldn't believe the prices that 90% of guitars we're reaching! I would genuinely love to speak to the winners of some of them to see if they thought they'd got a bargain, or if they simply didn't care what they'd paid because they just wanted it that badly. 

Having been in person a few times, there is certainly a competitive element when bidding against someone else, and the adrenaline can take hold of your bidding hand occasionally! I just can't believe that so many guitars seemed to go beyond what you'd expect to see them sell at second hand.